Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling to Sweden with old drinking buddies....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys... feeling a bit anxious about an upcoming trip, my first time to Europe. A client is treating me and a couple other artist buddies to a 'thanks for a good job' trip at their expense. I'm very excited about it but....

How the hell am I supposed to not drink? They will be, all of them, I'm sure... It's going to be dinners, festivals, nightclubs, etc., away from any responsibilities and anyone who would keep me accountable. And as far as my buddies that I'm travelling with (who were all old drinking buddies, to boot) I'm just not sure if I want to bother making excuses or explaining myself..

I don't know what to do. I want to permit myself to drink, but also don't want to drink. It's like 50-50 ambivalence.... which of course I know is likely to end up as a drunk.

Any thoughts? Really I just wanted to get it out there.... thanks for listening.

Fire

hi, my only suggestion,, is to remind yourself y you stopped drinking an remember the r"responsibilities an people who keep u accountable" in the front of your mind, its a hard 1, , im not really qualified 2 say, not af yet, xx
    :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

My advice is to find out out if they have low alcohol or no-alcohol substitutes that look like beer/lager or if your a spirits drinker find drinks that look similar like ginger ale - say its with brandy, or vodka and coke/orange etc.

Just don't let anyone buy you drinks.

I haven't had to be in your position but I am sure it will not be easy, but the only thing to do is try and remember it is your health not theirs. They may be knocking it back like there's no tomorrow but you know that you are getting healthier day by day, even hour by hour, they are getting unhealthier.

Just remember - YOU can do it. I am sending good vibes over the airwaves to you (or is it over the phone wire !!)
      Good luck :goodluck: :goodluck:
      Diamond x
      I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
      I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Speaking from experience in that part of the world, there is no way you are going to get out of people buying and pouring drinks for you. But if you are looking for ways to not drink alcohol, you could say your doctor suspects you are developing diabetes and you are not allowed to drink anything alcoholic for a while (or something like that). If you tell them at the beginning of the trip, you won't be able to change your mind later. If you think it will be impossible to resist, then I suggest you do the meds that decrease the amount you want to drink (I haven't tried them but it works for a lot of people).
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

p.s. is your atavar an attempt to fit in over there?
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi fire31,
            Whilst I`d love a trip to Sweden, I sure as heck wouldn`t want to be in your shoes right now.
            However, you are going and you are going to have a great time, right?

Pressure from others to get us to drink is a difficult situation to handle, but not if we make an almost foolproof plan. I think beatle`s suggestion is fantastic, and definitely your safest bet.............once those words come out of your mouth telling your friends that doc. has said you must not drink for the time-being, you are safe as you cannot retract having said that.

However, a holiday can be like an extended party and being in `fiesta` mode can tempt us to drink. Am not taking the meds., but to be perfectly honest, I would seriously consider taking them if faced with going on a trip such as yours.

I wish you loads and loads of luck, and look forward to hearing about what a fantastic time you are going to have without the booze.

Starlight Impress

Comment

Working...
            X