International Army November 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: International Army November 2020

Morning all...2 weeks in lockdown here..our cases are dropping dramatically so should be on course for beginning of December..the days ARE long..but not for much longer
    How's everyone?
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

MOrning and waves to the world,

Virus stuff:

We start our lockdown today apart from shops, schools, universities and a squillion other things. My cousin;s son has inhis first year at Leeds.................he's not had a face to face lecture and its all done on line. So he's sitting isolating in the halls of residents when it would be just as easy for hin to sit at home and do the exact same thing.
      Our Jenny for the first time is anxious. She taught all the through this some on line and in school with the vulnerable kids.

And I woke up to noises in the back bedroom and nearly died................I'd forgotten Mr. JC is home working. Selfishly I'm so glad as my anxiety is getting to the point I don't really like going in the back garden.

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]...............oh yes, Johny in SA. Took me a while. Gawd that was the year the S&H got a vivulezar for his birthday. Think its buried in the garden.

They were the ones we got................... [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION].........be a love and give us one more day.

The option has put a rush on for at least the left eye. Its mad thath she has to write to my GP whothen had to write to the consultant. The consensus of opinion of our GP's are hiding under their desks. I :heartbeat: nurses.

Our food banks are full. Our numbers are well down up here in the North..................perhaps as its always cold we don't linger outside for long

Geez, I'm full of moaning.............It Guy Fawkes night...............the day we let of fireworks to celebrate the day a few men tried to bring down Parliament. There will be fire works going off all night. Problem is they're not just a little sparkler or a Catherine wheel they're more like mortor bombs these days. I used to have double dose Bess on xanax and wrap her in a blanket. We've got a pal who was a firefighter and he loathed it. A waste of public money chasing after the morons.
      We had a few back garden ones about 30 years ago and of course Jenny stuck her finger straight in into a lit sparkler...........and we were being extra careful but she was extra fast.......I felt like we'd got the worst parent in the world award. We never did it again.

Jenny and Ads were spending Chrimbo down in York this year so we're going to meet in a car park at a service station and swap our pressies like they used to swap spies between Eat & West Germany.

So far I've got a Manchester United Garden gnome for Ads.

Think I've whinged enough..............I must do the something resembling housework [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION].........fully clothed.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

So we are again in lock-down for 3 weeks. Senior and junior high schools closed - grades 1 to 6 and kindergartens open. Go figure. Like the young kids don't spread the germs among themselves. And worst of all, who knows what kids have the virus or don't, if they don't have symptoms and they are not being tested. From 5 am to 9pm we are only allowed to leave home to go to our places of employment or to the supermarket, pet store, pharmacy or a medical appointment, however hairdressing salons and spa shops are still open. Feck me. Any movements for other reasons must be sent by sms to a special govt number and no one allowed to be on the street after 9 pm and any movements then must be registered at the local cop shop. I know it is for our own good - we have had 10,000 new cases in the past 5-6 days but it is just so frustrating. We went through this months ago and here we are back at it again. Okay, rant over.

Jackie - hope they get you in asap for your eye. The difference will be astounding. You will see colours again that you didn't know you couldn't see. Everything will be much brighter as well as clearer. :happy2:
        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION].....crikey having to text womeone where you're going...........does that include the toilet. Aplogies I'm being flippant and I've now got a banging headache.
          Managed a conversation with another human being..............the window cleaner.
          My cousin who has the son at Uni is bringing him home. As I said befiore its all on-line anyway so he may as well be at home with his family that sitting on his own in the halls of residence.
          Did a bit of on-line Christmas shopping............somehow there was some wool and jogging bottoms that just fell into my basket.

Think its time for nanna nap.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

@JackieClaire DON'T READ THIS ...........

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: Boxing.

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward: Niagara Falls ... The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside:Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with dw: Dwarf, dwell and dwindle...

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar: Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S': Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
            Last edited by satz123; November 5, 2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION].............ahh Satzuma, we had to look in the end or neither of us would sleep.

Comments........
              Number 1..................boxing.......of course and well I never did :egad:
              Number 2..................would never have got that one
              Number 3..................got rhubarb but not aparagus
              Number 5..................thought it was something like that but couldn't work out the logistics
              Number 8..................thought of that but dismissed.

Got the rest right................do we still get a lollipop.

Fireworks are still going off.....seem to have gone down from the mortor bomb types and gone to the gentler rockets......we've got a friend who was a fire-fighter and he loathed this time of year. Poor Bess used to be in bits despite the vet giving a gob full of xanax.

First day of lockdown over............must remember the back bedroom is a place of work and not having an extra not having Mr. JC at beck and call to open a jar when the a lid of something that is stuck and just butt in when he's on the phone to a client to get it opened.

Had a nice chat with someone who isn't Mr. JC or on the phone............the window cleaner.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

@JackieClaire - all I got was Number 8 'lettuce' & Number 7. Although I've never in my life called the little dot at the end of a sentence a 'period'.
                'Full Stop' is what we learned from the nuns in skool.
                They would NEVER have said period :egad:

ps can we meet the firefighter .............. :heartbeat:
                Last edited by satz123; November 5, 2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I see the work QUIZ and my eyes glaze over ... Then I see the answers and they all look so obvious! I still wouldn't have got half of them.
                  (note my ellipses, exclamation and period and brackets now that Im here!!)

I think the shops being closed are the worst for most people. Lucky you [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION], you can still get your hair done!
                  I do think the 9 oclock curfew is a good idea. A lot of our clusters apparently point to family gatherings and parties. Knock those on the head and your winning. They keep saying its very low in schools. Maybe because its more structured? [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION], you'll be free the day before us..seems to be working here.

Absolutely spot on Rustop, Id be a basket case if I was still boozing through this.

Hows the sciatica Satz?
                  AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Good morning/afternoon Army!

3000 new cases yesterday. I want to go home and hibernate with my paintings, my books and Netflix. Supermarket 100 metres from my place so that's taken care of.
                    [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] - I never would have thought of boxing although it's a sport I once enjoyed watching. Lettuce never crossed my mind either. It should have considering the number of romaine and other lettuce salads I've eaten during my years here in Greece. Didn't know that brackets and parethesis are considered punctuation marks. I thought of them but wasn't aware that they are in the group. Love the pear in the bottle. I actually looked it up yesterday and saw a picture of a glass bottle sitting in a pear tree. No partridge, tho'.
                    [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] - hair salons open Saturday and Sunday only. Can you imagine the scramble to make an appointment? I colour my hair myself. Always have and can't count the number of times I've cut it as well so no problem here.

Younger son and former Mr. Stirly have their birthdays today. We will have cake at my place and that's how far the celebration will go this year. I went shopping for presents yesterday and the lines outside the stores(especially sporting goods) were mind-boggling. I guess everyone needs to buy runners before lock-down comes into effect tomorrow. Not that they're going to be running anywhere. New shoes propped up on the coffee table in front of the TV is more like it. Crikey.

Off to file some papers. [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] anywhere around to lend a hand?

Have a safe day peeps. Catch up laterz.....
                    Last edited by stirly-girly; November 6, 2020, 01:18 AM.

Comment

3000 cases Stirly? That is a fair few - but you probably have a huge population.. must go google! any idea why it's gone up - you didn't really have a first wave at all did you?
                      Morning all -- happy birthday to your family members - it would have been -- well it IS I suppose - my mums birthday today if she were still alive - she'd be 94 - I still miss her actually - I s'pose everyone wants a bit of 'mothering' now and again!

Up since the crack of dawn - sleep is elusive at the moment -- any news anyone?

Just as well to get that badder eye done quickly Jacks - shouldn't have to go round like that... you really won't know yourself when it's done - it's wonderful to have a procedure done that will make such a difference -

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                        3000 cases Stirly? That is a fair few - but you probably have a huge population.. must go google! any idea why it's gone up - you didn't really have a first wave at all did you?
                        Not really, Molls. Ireland population for 2020 listed at just under 5,000,000. Greece is just over twice that with 10,400,000. We have had total 50,000 cases so far with 700 deaths, Ireland 64,000 cases with 1900 deaths. You had 560 new cases yesterday and 900 the day before. It's just that suddenly within the past couple of weeks, we have seen the numbers getting increasingly larger and therefore the lock-down. I think Ireland is doing better, hopefully Greece will too. Just so frustrating. We still have people walking in the store without masks. There is a 150 euro fine for not wearing a mask when outside whether you're walking alone or with others. People going mental today trying to get their shopping in before tomorrow. You'd think we were going to war. Madness!!

This is the link for the Corona virus daily update...

Coronavirus Update (Live): 49,93,659 Cases and 1,24,683 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer
                        Last edited by stirly-girly; November 6, 2020, 04:36 AM.

Comment

No our figures day before yesterda weren't anything like 900..dunno where they got that..we went into lockdown on figures like that 3 weeks ago..we've been around 3-400 up to yesterday when it went up to 500+ which was a bit of a shocker considering we are in lockdown.. everyone I see wears masks in shops and on buses...I've been told schoolkids on the train aren't wearing them tho..it should be policed.
                          It seems secondary school kids are very probably big transmitters.
                          Our death figures are very sad...approx 1200 of those were in nursing homes last spring..but very few deaths so far this autumn..fingers crossed it stays that way

Edit... that 900 may be northern Ireland...part of UK
                          Last edited by mollyka; November 6, 2020, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Good morning everyone. No news Molly, same old, same old. Greece seems bit like NI, they did very good in first wave but their numbers are now as high if not higher than ours. My dentist was saying that the numbers are much higher in the catholic community in NI and they were putting that down to the GAA (Gaelic football). Makes sense it certainly was the cause of outbreaks here, particularly down the country.

Dentist visit went well. Check, X-ray and clean. Lot of old dental work there but seems to be holding up. Come back in 6 months, first time I ever wished that I will be able to.

Beautiful crisp morning here. Had a lovely walk in the woods, the autumn colours are amazing. Need to go out to get some stuff I could not get in Aldi yesterday. I got Neven’s midweek meals cook book for birthday so trying out a few recipes. Tonight it is pork and apple burgers with Wicklow blue cheese and winter coleslaw.

Comment

Morning,

I'll give [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] a bit of a thrill...............our friend the firefighter is 6' 8"( he dwarfs Mr. JC) , extremely good looking and one of the nicest people we know. He is very swoon worthy. Mind you, his wife is one of the most miserable cows I've ever met.

I haven't looked at our numbers but I know despite the rules (which to be honest aren't hard to follow) are through the roof.....................but the vaccine is being tested on real people. Once its deemed safe the over 85s and politicians will have the first go.
                              In my not so humble opinion they should have shut the schools as well. Its only four week s or so til the end of term. By the time Jenny has got her kids to wash there hands, sit apart, stop crowding in the corrdors/classroom the lesson's mostly over.

On the brightside we're keeping the Disney channel. I'm afraid my brain can only take fluffy stuff.

I do have a day out as I've got my flu jab on the 19th.

The budgue/parrot/I wouldn't mind a python (I love reptiles) goes on.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

That dinner sounds amazing Rusters..I've been boring cooking lately..need to take a step up for sure!
                                Jill says the same..takes about 20 mins to get kids in from the yard ..hands washed..all done socially distanced and about 15 mins later they've to start it all all over again...complete waste of time!
                                What about a cat? Joe dislikes them but Adam has one and adores her..I think I'd quite like one and they are sod all trouble in comparison to dogs!

Comment

Working...
                                X