Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7 days sober. Quitting again

Originally posted by allswell View Post
    Don't recommend thinking that way scots, that means deep in your thoughts there is still value in alcohol. When there is still value in alcohol the bastard voice will takeover at your weakest. I think the Big Book of AA references something about the drinking voice doing pushups in the parking lot while someone is in a meeting waiting for the most vulnerable time to pounce and take control. If we want alcohol out for good we need to find a way to not want it any longer in any capacity.
    thank you. I didn't think i'd be able to NOT think about alcohol so I did a slightly different plan. I concentrated on how there is no reason to drink and how good I feel without it, not missing the hangovers one bit! But Covid has been a blessing in that all the bars are shut and I can't meet my drinking buddies. It's also winter here so no plans to hang out in the garden sipping beers like I did in the summer of 2020. I couldn't get a better oppertunity to have a break from alcohol.. and this break may well turn out to be a long one. It's all I can ask at this stage but the great thing is there are NO TRIGGERS at all to drink for me. in the meantime...my length of sober time will grow and I may never wish to return.

p.s. the new botanic substance that mimics about 2 or 3 units of alcohol will arrive this week. If it works I may never reach for the real stuff again.

xxx

Comment

Originally posted by scotskev81 View Post
      I'm 39. I've decided I think I will drink again at 60. Anyone else done or thought that? As in take a 20 year break from alcohol?
      My dad did this. He stopped drinking at 25 and started again when he retired. Sad part is all those years I never saw him drink and now that he did, I saw the truth....*MY* truth in that he was doing *ALL* the same shit I was doing. The coffee cup late at night with whiskey in it. The "One for the road" beverage in the car, he did all the asinine things I was doing and I was the one with the problem, only now I had company. Drinking eventually killed him. Cancer of the esophagus and heart disease killed him in a dozen years denying him of seeing his grandchildren grow up.
      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
      Watch this and find out....
      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Originally posted by 4theboyz View Post
        My dad did this. He stopped drinking at 25 and started again when he retired. Sad part is all those years I never saw him drink and now that he did, I saw the truth....*MY* truth in that he was doing *ALL* the same shit I was doing. The coffee cup late at night with whiskey in it. The "One for the road" beverage in the car, he did all the asinine things I was doing and I was the one with the problem, only now I had company. Drinking eventually killed him. Cancer of the esophagus and heart disease killed him in a dozen years denying him of seeing his grandchildren grow up.
        sorry to hear that. you dad did well to quit at 25. he must have dabbled in it for about 8 or 9 years in youth and then just decided to hit it on the head till he's old. RIP

Comment

Working...
        X