Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheese Addiction!

I meant to post this here on GD rather than on the 'starting out" thread:

I can't believe this! I do indeed have an intense craving for cheese--and if we have cheese in the fridge, I will eat it compulsively until it's gone... maybe this exerpt from an article I found at www.vegansource.com (I think that's the place...) has this to say:

"...As common as chocolate addiction may be, it is by no means the only potentially addictive food, nor is it the most dangerous. In PCRM's research studies, when we take people off meat, dairy products, and other unhealthy fare, we often find that the desire for cheese, in particular, lingers on much more strongly than for other foods. While they might like ice cream or yogurt, they describe their feelings for cheese as a deep-seated craving. Could cheese really be addictive?

Well, in 1981, Eli Hazum and his colleagues at Wellcome Research Laboratories in Research Triangle Park, N.C., reported a remarkable discovery. Analyzing samples of cow's milk, they found traces of a chemical that looked very much like morphine. They put it to one chemical test after another. And, finally, they arrived at the conclusion that, in fact, it is morphine. There is not a lot of it and not every sample had detectable levels. But there is indeed some morphine in both cow's milk and human milk.
    Morphine, of course, is an opiate and is highly addictive. So how did it get into milk?

At first, the researchers theorized that it must have come from the cows' diets. After all, morphine used in hospitals comes from poppies and is also produced naturally by a few other plants that the cows might have been eating. But it turns out that cows actually produce it within their bodies, just as poppies do. Traces of morphine, along with codeine and other opiates, are apparently produced in cows' livers and can end up in their milk.

But that was only the beginning, as other researchers soon found. Cow's milk-or the milk of any other species, for that matter-contains a protein, called casein, that breaks apart during digestion to release a whole host of opiates, called casomorphins. A cup of cow's milk contains about six grams of casein. Skim milk contains a bit more, and casein is concentrated in the production of cheese.

If you examined a casein molecule under a powerful microscope, it would look like a long chain of beads (the "beads" are amino acids-simple building blocks that combine to make up all the proteins in your body). When you drink a glass of milk or eat a slice of cheese, stomach acid and intestinal bacteria snip the casein molecular chains into casomorphins of various lengths. One of them, a short string made up of just five amino acids, has about one-tenth the pain-killing potency of morphine.

What are these opiates doing there, hidden in milk proteins? It appears that the opiates from mother's milk produce a calming effect on the infant and, in fact, may be responsible for a good measure of the mother-infant bond. No, it's not all lullabies and cooing. Psychological bonds always have a physical underpinning. Like it or not, mother's milk has a drug-like effect on the baby's brain that ensures that the baby will bond with Mom and continue to nurse and get the nutrients all babies need. Like heroin or codeine, casomorphins slow intestinal movements and have a decided antidiarrheal effect. The opiate effect may be why adults often find that cheese can be constipating, just as opiate painkillers are.

It is an open question to what extent dairy opiates enter the adult circulation. Until the 1990s, researchers thought that these protein fragments were too large to pass through the intestinal wall into the blood, except in infants, whose immature digestive tracts are not very selective about what passes through. They theorized that milk opiates mainly acted within the digestive tract and that they signaled comfort or relief to the brain indirectly, through the hormones traveling from the intestinal tract to the brain.

But French researchers fed skim milk and yogurt to volunteers and found that, sure enough, at least some casein fragments do pass into the bloodstream. They reach their peak about 40 minutes after eating.

Cheese contains far more casein than other dairy products do. As milk is turned into cheese, most of its water, whey proteins, and lactose sugar are removed, leaving behind concentrated casein and fat.

Cheese holds other drug-like compounds as well. It contains an amphetamine-like chemical called phenylethylamine, or PEA, which is also found in chocolate and sausage....."

I absolutely can't STAND it...but it does explain a lot!
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Cheese Addiction!

I've always loved cheese since being a wee cheese-maggot !!!
    I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
    I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Wow, I had no idea - bring on the toasties !

Tea
      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

I love cheese, I think I have a salt addiction. I love salty food. I have asked my doctor and tried to find out about these cravings for salt no one has any clue. I thought it was a lack of iodine in the diet,not the case. I just really love salty food. But I hate sugary food. So, go figure
        Smiles
        mar

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Interesting! Another cheese addict here!

Cheese glorious cheese! I rate myself as a cheese connoisseur :H
          :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Did reading this post make anyone go get some cheese out of the fridge? I'm nibbling a piece of smoked monterrey jack and will set the timer for 40 minutes....lol

Simey, I'm with you. I LOVE salty foods but would not shed the first tear if you told me I could never eat sweets again.
            If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

If there is morphine in cheese then there goes another thing I can't enjoy as much on Naltrexone. LOL

Comment

Cheese Addiction!

Since giving up alcohol, I am eating so much chocolate! I am usually like you g=gals and don't care for the sweet stuff... but not anymore! :H

Give me chocolate over alcohol these days!
                :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Working...
                X