Army November 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Army November 2022

You're right Rusters. It is a balancing act. I am incredibly grateful that we do have a roof over our head and we are mortgage free. We are blessed in that regard.

Just had a quote. About £4k :egad: but could've been much worse. That doesn't include redecoration or anything.

I agree Satz, if you have nowt its probably a better deal. Or they might put you in some godawful nursing home. Anyway, I am gonna sort myself out before I get old and infirm :haha:

Nice work on the running Brit. You are lucky to be able to do that. Sometimes I wish I still ran. Dont think my joints would be too happy with me though!

Comment

Feck off.

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
      Did they move far away Mers ? Or just downsized ?
      Problem here as I said is MrS - he doesn't want to move & to be honest I'm tired trying to convince him - it's exhausting on top of all the other stuff going on.
      He is the same with anything 'different' suggested.
      Folks mover about 20k to be closer to my sister and I. They moved to that lovely seaside village your SIL lives in I think? Beside Mollys old house.
      House was about the same size but they did a god bit of work on it, structural.
      Us kids have all gutted our houses too, sister has just finished her second gut!

It's a massive hassle, but its temporary and very exciting. [MENTION=22839]brit[/MENTION], Mr A planned that well. Lovely not to have that as a worry. Great your getting out running.. and giving the booze the 2 fingers.

[MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION], good it's 4k and not 40k! Your in a great position, lots of options. Me.. I'd be releasing all the equity and leaving nothing behind!

Did not know that about the nursing homes.
      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
        Feck off.

:haha:

Did not know that about the nursing homes.
        It's the Fair Deal Mers.
        Anybody can get it.
        The scheme is designed to give financial assistance to those who require full-time nursing care, regardless of their financial circumstances. It is designed to be fair to everyone i.e those who have more will contribute more to the cost of their care.

YOU choose the Nursing Home - private like the one I work in or HSE run.
        They add up all your earnings including Pensions, salary etc
        80% of this is taken & the state pay the rest.
        You commit also to 7.5% of assets - savings, property etc per year, up to 3 years, to be paid to the state when you die.

So if someone just has a pension - that's all that's used in the calculation.
        You can see then that having loads of money is a disadvantage in this case. Probably wouldn't even quality.
        And a Nursing Home now costs 1600€ a week.

SO ........... enjoy yisser lives ...... spend yisser money .........
        Last edited by satz123; November 4, 2022, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Morning all...not sure how I feel about that really...it sort of punishes people for being careful and planning ahead...not a criticism..just not sure. It seems to be another bit of the nanny state?
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
            Morning all...not sure how I feel about that really...it sort of punishes people for being careful and planning ahead...not a criticism..just not sure. It seems to be another bit of the nanny state?
            Like everything else Molls in this country - the supposedly have-nots remain have-nots and get the best deals up to the end.
            I have no problem with genuine cases and I see them every day - but some families have made a career of not working or paying taxes and it goes from generation to generation.
            And when it comes to a budget or handouts they are first in line.
            They'll be raking it in this Christmas - double everything.

One person I know : Carer's allowance ( cos her daughter has ADHD), Full medical card, Deserted wife's allowance : Children's allowance: fuel allowance: on & on
            Same individual is LOADED. Deals only in cash.
            Heating is on 24/7 most of the year
            Splashed out on party for 3 year old - 2k
            Every few months the whole house is re-decorated.
            Splashed out for Confirmation party - 3k

The kids go around in Boss & North Face gear that I suspect 'falls of the back of a lorry' :haha:

oh forget they all have 'turkey teeth' = 14k trip to Turkey to get full set of implants.
            While I have to pay through the nose for one crown this month having worked & paid taxes all by life. Makes my blood boil.

Sounds harsh - as I said there are genuine cases - but then there are the rest.... and there are lots of them.
            Last edited by satz123; November 4, 2022, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Ok I'm done talking about those depressing things.
              Only happy thoughts from now on :yay:

Feel like making a Tea brack ( fruit cake) .......... adore it with Irish butter spread thickly.
              Last edited by satz123; November 4, 2022, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Like everything else Molls in this country - the supposedly have-nots remain have-nots and get the best deals up to the end.
                I have no problem with genuine cases and I see them every day - but some families have made a career of not working or paying taxes and it goes from generation to generation.
                And when it comes to a budget or handouts they are first in line.
                They'll be raking it in this Christmas - double everything.

One person I know : Carer's allowance ( cos her daughter has ADHD), Full medical card, Deserted wife's allowance : Children's allowance: fuel allowance: on & on
                Same individual is LOADED. Deals only in cash.
                Heating is on 24/7 most of the year
                Splashed out on party for 3 year old - 2k
                Every few months the whole house is re-decorated.
                Splashed out for Confirmation party - 3k

The kids go around in Boss & North Face gear that I suspect 'falls of the back of a lorry' :haha:

oh forget they all have 'turkey teeth' = 14k trip to Turkey to get full set of implants.
                While I have to pay through the nose for one crown this month having worked & paid taxes all by life. Makes my blood boil.

Sounds harsh - as I said there are genuine cases - but then there are the rest.... and there are lots of them.
                eh ...yeah...think that's what I was trying to say...I'll go a step further...back in our day there were council estates..if you couldn't afford a house you lived in one of them...nowadays..my single parent daughter (who I needn't tell you gets NOTHING from the state) who earns not a lot as a teacher early in her career..she struggles every month to pay a mortgage.. more than half her salary...3 doors up...identical house...neither mother nor father ever worked...get the house for nothing. ITS. NOT. FAIR.

Ok I'm done talking about those depressing things.
                Only happy thoughts from now on :yay:

Feel like making a Tea brack ( fruit cake) .......... adore it with Irish butter spread thickly.
                OOOHHHH now that'd cheer me up...love teabrack....hate that awful yeasty barm brack...Joe makes an amazing tea brack!

Comment

OOOHHHH now that'd cheer me up...love teabrack....hate that awful yeasty barm brack...Joe makes an amazing tea brack!
                  Molls ...... Ask Joe for recipe & any tips. I don't bake aften - so want it to be yummy with tons of fruit !!

Comment

Molls ...... Ask Joe for recipe & any tips. I don't bake aften - so want it to be yummy with tons of fruit !!
                    Mmm...Will do..he's doing busy awful important blue jobs at the moment:eek-new: I do know you have to steep the sultanas overnight in black tea

Comment

Right...he's back...225g self raising flour
                      350g mixed fruit and sultanas 300 ml cold tea 115g golden castor sugar 1 beaten egg 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
                      Bake in 170° oven for approx 1 hour in 2lb loaf tin

Oh yeah just mix the whole lot up with wooden spoon

That's it!!!

Comment

Right...he's back...225g self raising flour
                        350g mixed fruit and sultanas 300 ml cold tea 115g golden castor sugar 1 beaten egg 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
                        Bake in 170° oven for approx 1 hour in 2lb loaf tin

Oh yeah just mix the whole lot up with wooden spoon

That's it!!!
                        Afternoon everyone

That’s gas. We were just talking about brack on our walk this morning. Lashings of butter on it, yumm. My recipe is nearly identical to Joes apart from the mixed spice and it says soak the fruit overnight in the tea. No one else eats it apart from me so don’t make it very often.

Didn’t know that about nursing homes, I’ll keep spending so. Agree with you ladies, does not pay to work in this country. Some not all individuals have living off the state down to a fine art.

Had crochet class this morning. So nice to sit around the table and natter. Nothing much planned for weekend, catching up on things around the house.

Comment

God yeah. Mentioned in the previous post the fruit is soaked in tea overnight....makes a HUGE difference...and no less than half lb butter on top:welldone:

Comment

God yeah. Mentioned in the previous post the fruit is soaked in tea overnight....makes a HUGE difference...and no less than half lb butter on top:welldone:
                            Thanks Joe :welldone:

Just remembered .....
                            My mother used to make Boiled fruit cake - exactly the same ingredients but you simmered the fruit , sugar for 5 minutes & leave to cool - then no need to soak overnight.
                            A tweak to the recipe for the very impatient who couldn't wait 24 hours :haha:

Comment

Thanks Joe :welldone:

Just remembered .....
                              My mother used to make Boiled fruit cake - exactly the same ingredients but you simmered the fruit , sugar for 5 minutes & leave to cool - then no need to soak overnight.
                              A tweak to the recipe for the very impatient who couldn't wait 24 hours :haha:
                              AND....for any impatient folk who like to make their own bread...you can make it in the slow cooker and it doesn't even need to be left to rise....so there ...my slow cooker is my newest love...I've had it for YEARS and hardly ever used it!
                              Last edited by mollyka; November 4, 2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Thats like the one I've done a few times,I love it. Lasts about 10 mins here, never gets to the airtight container.
                                I'll make tomorrow too!!

Agree molly, very frustrating.

That lady must have been getting money from somewhere else satz.. benefits are not that good??
                                Here, my son has adhd! Can i get paid for that :haha:
                                AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Working...
                                X