Alcohol and cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and cancer

I can't stop thinking about that post about alcoholics who got cancer.

Anyone know how much you have to drink to get esophageal cancer?

I guess the cancers of throat and esophagus are most common for drinkers, but much more risky in combination with smoking.

Alcohol and cancer

Oh Nancy,

I dread to think, I don't even want to let my brain go there.

I can easlily get through a pack of 20 in one sitting when drinking. Shudder!!!! The thought alone is enough to make me want to light up and crack open a can.

Sorry, I've been no help at all, answering your question.

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Comment

Alcohol and cancer

Hi Nancy,
      If you are concerned about that type of cancer (i cannot spell it offhand) go to askjeeves and it will walk you through symptoms etc.... Scary stuff
      Take Care, ~Niblet~

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Alcohol and cancer

I used to know a woman's group of recovering alcoholics a few yrs ago where a few women had breast cancer (had or were recovering). They all blamed drinking. Drinking more than 1-2 drinks per day increases your chances of developing breast cancer.
        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Alcohol and cancer

no symptoms, just wanted to find out more.

I knew about liver problems and breast cancer. Hadn't thought about throat and esophageal cancer.

However, looks like it is much more common in men. Also, cigarettes play a role in conjunction with alcohol. I posted something in the research section about cigarrettes and alcoholism that is worth reading if you smoke. Looks like risk for mouth and throat cancer is much higher for smoking in combination with drinking

Here is an excerpt from the link

New research indicates that nicotine causes the brain to crave alcohol.
          Led by Toronto's Dr. Dzung Anh Le, a study on rats by Canadian and U.S. scientists has found that nicotine use increases alcohol consumption, and the two addictions may work hand in hand. With this in mind, trying to quit both habits at once, painful as it may be in the short-term, may well be a better long-term strategy.

Comment

Alcohol and cancer

Anytime I had a cough I was scared I was going to cough up blood from those veins you can develop in throat from drinking and then they burst !!!!!

I used to be petrified I would have that, cancer too, I feel better now I don't smoke or drink, just the eating now then !!!! LOL
            I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
            I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Alcohol and cancer

Yeah diamond-varicose veins-gross.
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Alcohol and cancer

Good one Nancy! That's an interesting find. I'll go and read that article you posted. Thanks!
                :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Working...
                X