Booze,Tapas, and a Knife in the Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spent my first day AF for a month, indeed, the first day AF in my new house. I woke up this morning, after probably the best nights sleep I had had in ages, not knowing where the hell I was. When I finally came round it was a very pleasant surprise.

Anyway, the reasons for my abstinence.

Firstly, the impending need to build an Arc, as the UK slowly disappeared under several feet of water.

Secondly I had spent the previous night throwing up, and I could not figure out what had caused it. I don?t think it was food poisoning, or a bug, I came to the conclusion that it was my body finally saying enough is enough.

And thirdly the horrifying realisation that I had been seconds away from killing my own father.

What? I hear you shout.

Well its true, and if I had been sober, I probably would have succeeded in dispatching my dad. However if we all had been sober then we would not have found ourselves in the rather worrying predicament.

This strange set of events occurred on our recent, booze fuelled, trip to Spain with the wife, kids, and my mad parents. I have described, in a previous post, how my parents like a drink on holiday, well that is somewhat of an understatement, they like to be comatosed, and horizontal. Well my dad came within seconds of being permanently ?horizontal?.

It all happened on a very pleasant evening where I had tried to extend my culinary skills. Rather than just frying some protein up and then throwing in the remnants of last nights wine, I had tried to be a little more adventurous. We had bought various exotic ingredients ranging from squid, prawns, mussels, spicy sausage ect ect.

The idea was to create a ?Tapas? type meal, with lots of small tasty dishes to choose from.

So I set about skinning the sausages in order to make meatballs, cleaning the mussels, making the batter for the squid rings. All this preparation was helped with a couple of large GnTs

Anyway, the meal was a great success, spicy meatballs in a tomato sauce, prawns fried in butter with heaps of garlic, then flamed with brandy, mussels steamed in a tomato garlic and white wine sauce, and finally squid rings fried in beer batter. All washed down with a couple of bottles of Sangre de Toro.

After the kids went to bed we had coffee and brandies, and several more brandies. Finally it was time for us all to turn in, at around 11.30.

I remember reading for a while and finally turning the lights off at around 12.15. After 15 minutes of semi conscious dozing, I heard footsteps, light at first, and then getting louder and nearer. I could not tell if they were outside, on the veranda, or inside, but then when I heard the door open, I wasn?t going to lie around in my bed any longer to find out. I sprung out of bed, slipped into my shorts, and went about investigating. The first thing I noticed sent a shiver down my spine, the key in the door was swinging from side to side. The remote comfort that I had been hearing things was now dispelled. It was apparent that we had a situation.

As the adrenalin pumped through my veins, I quietly made my way to the kitchen, hoping that the intruder had not had the same idea. thoughts about the Spanish laws on reasonable force crossed my mind as I opened the cutlery draw and fumbled around for a large knife. However because of the dim light and my, alcohol induced, dim mind, I managed to slice my finger on a sharp implement. Just as I recoiled in pain, the front door opened again. My bloody hand dived back into the draw, and pulled out a large weapon.

Anyway my fears were soon turned to relief, and then mild anger, as my dad stuck his head around the door.

?Hello, what are you doing up?? He said in surprise.

?Dad!? I shouted. ?You don?t know how close you came to getting this in your back.?

Holding up my weapon of choice.

My Dad took one look at it and shook his head in disbelief.

Yeah, you might well shake your head, I thought.

?Jon, that?s a fish slice.?

To my utter embarrassment, I was indeed holding a fish slice. Thankfully, all the large knives were in the dish washer.

Anyway, my father?s reason for skulking around at 12.30 in the morning, he could not remember if he had locked his car. Hardly surprising, he was that pissed, he could hardly remember his own name, and I was that pissed I could not tell a knife from a fish slice.

oh shit u reminded me, one particular nasty row with my ex bf , after he d throttled me he grabbed what he thought was a knife, if i could a breathed i would a been laughing so much, luckily when he looked down an realised he had a plastic fish slice, he threw it at me an walked out, i think that 1 saved me, i had to laugh when he d gone,!!!
    well done bein af free so long , it s really good, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

Oh to have my dad in the possie,

I would have got off, lol
      :thanks: :h

Comment

what the heck is a fish slice?
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

what the heck is a fish slice?

Know your cutlery. Lol

fish slice
          n : (British) a food turner with a broad slitted blade used for
          turning or serving fish or other food that is cooked in a
          frying pan

What do you guys call it?

Comment

spatula

A spatula, known as a fish slice in British English, is a kitchen utensil with a long handle and a broad flat edge, used for lifting fish and fried foods.[1][2] Despite usage of the word spatula in British English, it refers solely to a mixing implement.[3] In parts of Canada, spatulas are called flippers. They are used both in the preparation of food, as a flipping implement, and in the serving of food.

The word spatula, known in English since 1525, is a diminutive form of the Latin term spatha, which means a broad sword (as in spatharius) or a flat piece of wood and is also the origin of the words spade (digging tool) and spathe.[4]
            What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
            ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

I don't know what the heck a fish slice is either.
              (but I sure did enjoy your story.)
              You must be a writer-- am I right?
              These are the things that make us determined to get and/or stay sober.
              What about your kids? How do they react to their grandparents?
              I ask because I have a similar situation.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

beatle;155681 wrote: I don't know what the heck a fish slice is either.
                (but I sure did enjoy your story.)
                You must be a writer-- am I right?
                These are the things that make us determined to get and/or stay sober.
                What about your kids? How do they react to their grandparents?
                I ask because I have a similar situation.
                To be honest, my parents dont act drunk, they just do daft things, occasionally and forget about things, quite often. So I would say that the kids are fine.

Im not a writer, but I do enjoy putting pen to paper, especially with regard to the humorous and the frustrating. If you can see a bit of humor in some of the situations that you find yourself in, then I think it can help keep you sane.

Comment

couldn't agree more.
                  but maybe you also have a hidden talent?
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

beatle;155710 wrote: couldn't agree more.
                    but maybe you also have a hidden talent?
                    Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe one day I may give it ago, would need a damn good editor. Just now I have to concentrate on getting sober. I have passed my danger time this evening (6.00pm to 7.30pm) so think I will be on for 2 nights AF.

Comment

It was funny story, of course the Brits are funny anyway........well most that is .
                      I have a similar story that I may have the time to share. Mine though has the police involved too.......very funny!!:H

Comment

Jon,

I know what a fish slice is and your story made me laugh, I mean really laugh. :H

You wouldn't have got very far with it though. I suppose at least you wouldn't be had up for murder !!! LOL

What would the charges be 'battering' with intent..... gettit...' batter-ing' ..fish.. never mind !!!
                        I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                        I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

I suppose you left him floundering ..... (groan)

Another ripper story Jonboy. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

I'm loving your stories too...

Night Jonboy, Night MaryEllen, Night Grandma...

mmmmm showing my age again !!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X