Black outs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black outs!

up until yesterday I always believed that I had never had a blackout and felt that my boozeing habit was not so bad as some peoples! It suddenly dawned on me that a blackout is probably a memory lapse ,not like a fainting like callopse that I always thought it was, am I right ?is a blackout when you cant remember after a certain point? If so I think I probably have blackouts every fri and sat nights! OMG! Now I know its time too stop. Can anyone throw any light on what a blackout actually is?

Black outs!

Hi Limers,

Found this on the net which describes what happens quite well. I drink to blackout almost everytime I drink and it's very scary just what I get up to during these episodes. They are one of the reasons I really want to get this thing licked.

"Enough alcohol will prevent the brain from recording new memories. Think of it as like your computer, which has temporary, short-term, RAM memory that holds your programs and collects new data. You also have a hard drive to save the data collected in RAM. An alcoholic blackout is like having the ?Save? command disabled, so that you can still operate the programs, but when you shut down, nothing is saved to memory. Much very important data will be lost"

I have tried to moderate and sometimes I can stop before the blackout occurs but that is usually by luck rather than anything else. I just cross that barrier and then a blackout is almost always inevitable.

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Comment

Black outs!

Good comparison Kitty.

Yup-I could make dinner, put the kids to bed & find myself on the couch the next morning trying to piece together what I did. I'd have to go thru the house to try to remember exactly what time I did everything & the extra things I did ordidn't do. Went thru the motions but don't recall all movements or thoughts that went into it.

Never mind conversations-that's another topic. I'd shudder when I'd tell someone a story & they'd say "yeah-you already told me" & I don't have the foggiest when I did.

per dictionary: a period of total memory loss, as one induced by an accident or prolonged alcoholic drinking: The patient cannot account for the bizarre things he did during his blackout.

Glad those day are over.
      :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Black outs!

Hi all and good day..... good topic oh yea know the feeling about black outs real scary to not rememeber what you did or say and i think the most embarassment is when your kids tell you what you did.

Comment

Black outs!

What I hate most is getting up in the morning and checking my 'sent' folder to see what emails I sent the night before, cringing in fear of what I sent to whom. Fortunately, I learned to stop doing that awhile back.
          Hugs,
          imatree

Comment

Black outs!

not even gonna go there ,!!!!!! not today any way, just want to black out,,
            :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

Black outs!

Kitty - spot on !
              Breez - exactly !
              Karbihere - you know it !
              Imatree - did that too !
              Rachel - been there ! + wanna go back again , nooooooooo don't do it !
              I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
              I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Black outs!

I hate the unexplained bruises on my arms or legs. Or being told I went to sleep w/a glass or beer in my hand. Amazing when you think of how we can hold conversations, etc., and not "be there".

Scary stuff!

Comment

Black outs!

Know the feeling hart had alot of falls broken bones that i never even had fixed but heaven forbid i shcould drop my drink during that fall

Comment

Black outs!

thanks all ,no foolin myself no more .I have done some mad ,stupid things myself ,especially of the drink and diall kind! Should be a law against it!

Comment

Black outs!

limers, you are definitely having blackouts. I would never get them at one time. No matter how wasted I was. I would always remember behaving in a horrible fashion, and feeling embarrassed about 5 minutes after waking up. Yeah, you all know the feeling. You wake up feeling like ass physically. Then, as the previous night starts to replay in your head, you feel complete shame, and just want to die. Now, in the last couple years, I black out more often, so I have to be told how asinine I acted. I don't know which is worse. Remembering being an idiot, or having to be told. They are both bad, and need to stop. Glad to meet you limers. Hope you are doing better now.
                      where does this go?

Comment

Black outs!

Yep, the bruises you don't remember how you got, then kinda remember banging into everything trying to get to bed, or not, and waking up on the couch, the dang floor most likely after banging into something, falling down, and not being able to get up...I woke up outside once, fell getting in from taking the dog out totally smashed...near the pool too, could've fallen in and drowned, this was about 2 and a half yrs. ago...had blood all over my face, had no idea what happened, gash over my eye, and scraped all to heck...freaked me out...hubby had gone to bed, leaving me on the sofa, and I could've been there til morning if the dog hadn't licked me awake...that started me on the journey to figure this out, ups and downs since, but never did that to the extreme again...blacked-out tho again...Drinking and dialing should be outlawed...heck drinking and doing anything should be outlawed to save us from ourselves...I hate that "morning after" guilt, shame, anxiety...time to quit it!!! I'm more aware now since coming here...I'm lots harder on myself for just a bit of overindulgence, which is an improvement, used to, I just wanted to "get away with it"!!!....Morrison, soooo glad you are back to help us! We could all have an "idiots" convention...part of the illness I guess....
                        "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

Comment

Black outs!

i was told that because i quit having blackouts that it was even worse. my body was actually being able to fuction drunker than two sailors. i got a dui and blew a .38. i remember everything never even passed out for the 8 hours i had to stay at the police station. had lucid conversations with police officers about normal stuff. needless to say they gave me a good talking to, telling me i hit the mark for most highest blow that year and it was the day before mothers day.im 5'6" and weigh 140. the only reason they even pulled me over is they thought someone they were looking for from the bar i had just left was with me. if this is not a warning i dont know what is. no way anyone should be able to function that way. do you have any idea how much booze that is? its one drivers license for five years, thousands of dollars, and a loss of a really good business worth. just beware it can get worse.

Comment

Black outs!

Yip,
                            I used to black out if I drank in excess of amount I knew I could handle. Scary stuff the morning after when you can`t recall half of the night before. So saying, perhaps in one respect blackouts are a good thing, if they serve as a warning and give us a sharp wake-up call. Not had a blackout for a long time........would never want to go back there!!!

Starlight Impress

Comment

Black outs!

Non memories, just what people tell you what you did, and thinking, they're just giving me shit.. denial, but when a couple of people can tell you, you have to take their word...

Don't ever want to do it again, and just in case I've unplugged the phone and hidden it, so scared I might actually call and tell my parents what I really think!!

It's not good, and yes, have had bruises and blood, and scars I don't remember where they came from, just always hoping noone saw me... I think that why I ended up drinking alone, no evidence?

Love Jas xx
                              :thanks: :h

Comment

Working...
                              X