X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Promising Autism Study!!!!!!

This is all over the news!!!!

Autism symptoms reversed in lab
    Symptoms of mental retardation and autism have been reversed for the first time in laboratory mice.

US scientists created mice that showed symptoms of Fragile X Syndrome - a leading cause of mental retardation and autism in humans.

They then reversed symptoms of the condition by inhibiting the action of an enzyme in the brain.

The study, by Massachusetts Institute of Technology, appears in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

This implies that future treatment may still be effective even after symptoms are already pronounced
    Dr Susumu Tonegawa

Fragile X Syndrome is linked to mutation in a gene carried on the X chromosome called FMR1.

It can cause symptoms ranging from mild learning disabilities to severe autism.

The researchers, based at MIT's Picower Institute for Learning and Memory, targeted an enzyme called PAK which affects the number, size and shape of connection between brain cells.

They found that inhibiting the enzyme stopped mice with Fragile X Syndrome behaving in erratic ways.

Prior to treatment they showed signs of hyperactivity, purposeless and repetitive movements.

Abnormalities corrected

Further analysis showed that not only were structural abnormalities in connections between brain cells righted, proper electrical communication was restored between the cells.

In the brain small protrusions called dendritic spines are responsible for communication between cells.

People with Fragile X Syndrome have more dendritic spines than usual, but each is longer and thinner, and transmits weaker electric signals.

Blocking PAK activity in the lab mice corrected these abnormalities.

Researcher Dr Susumu Tonegawa stressed that the mice were not treated until a few weeks after symptoms of disease first appeared.

"This implies that future treatment may still be effective even after symptoms are already pronounced," he said.

Professor Eric Klann, of New York University's Center for Neural Science, agreed that the research was potentially significant.

He said: "This is very exciting because it suggests that PAK inhibitors could be used for therapeutic purposes to reverse already established mental impairments in fragile X children."
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

There are so many breakthroughs in so many research areas it gives you real hope for the future.
    Enough is enough

Comment

That is fantastic news. Thank you for sharing that information.
      where does this go?

Comment

That is awesome!!!
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

That is great news and we are just starting to do a lot of research in Fragile X. I was tested for it when I found out I was pregnant with my now almost 2 year old and had a child diagnosed with autism.

There is a lot of hope out there! Thanks for sharing this Happy!!
          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Beaches would it be a genetic test I would need to do if Sophie has Fragile X? Does Alec have it? Also there are drugs already available that inhibit the PAK enzyme but are FDA approved for other things (still looking into that) so who knows what the side effects are. They are developing new ones now. The extra research could take years to validate this I hope I am not getting too excited about this.
            Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Great news Happy!

Comment

Thanks all- wanted a bump too because haven't heard back from Beaches-
                Samadhi did you hear about this?

Comment

That is truely wonderful news Happy... You are " HAPPY" for a very good reason...YAHOOO !

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Happy Camper - I haven't heard about this - but it is exciting - thanks for posting it. I have a frind with 2 fragile x boys and will forward this to her. By the way, did you hear that that wrestler, Chris Benoit who killed himself and his family had a fragile x son w/ autism? They say the stress may have contributed to his motive.

Off the topic for a sec. It's good to be back - we were in Australia for three weeks with my family for vacation (very long trip from the middle if the US!, but fabulous) Those 3 weeks showed me I can actually not obssess about alcohol all the time, I was so busy. I was able to moderate. The difference was that it wasn't on my mind ALL the time.

Comment

Hi Camper That is great news and I am so glad you look into everything you can for Sophie. It is truly amazing what science can do for people.

Have a good one,
                      Sammys

Comment

Samadhi,
                        I had heard that the wrestler's son was "dwarflike" but had no idea about the Fragile X or the autism. I had never even heard of Fragile X until the other day. How insane is that?
                        She has an appt on 8/25 with an endocrinologist to get her tested, more genetic testing that will probably take 2 months. If she has it I have to figure out what my next steps are.

I am glad you had a good trip! I would kill to take a vacation right now.

Comment

Hey Happy! Thank you sooooo much for posting this. I never get to watch anything other than cartoon network and the Wiggles these days lol!! I have a 7 year old with PDD / mild autism and I've never had him tested for fragile X. I'll certainly be looking into this more and would love it if you'd keep me up to date with anything else you hear. Thanks again!
                          "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." Ralph Waldo Emerson :rays:

Comment

You are very welcome! I will keep all posted!

Comment

Working...
                            X