Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLOOD TESTS

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if alcohol showed up in test for cholesteral and kidney function tests. I have high blood pressure and have to have these tests soon but just wondered if it would show that I drank alcohol, if it did how long before it would I need to stop so it wont show. Thanks.

BLOOD TESTS

Hi Jess welcome,
    alcohol will not show up in tests unless it is spefically tested for i.e it would show up in
    liver function tests, your dr. may ? alcohol intake depending on the outcome of certain
    tests.
    Paula.

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Hypertension.

Hi Jess and welcome,

Excess alcohol intake would be contributing to your high blood pressure. Kidney function tests are to see if the hypertension has damaged them, (just one reason, my guess, I'm not a doctor,Jim) --hopefully not!

Keep taking your medication and keep it in check.

I know you didn't ask, but I AM bossy.

My best,

magic xx
      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
      I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

not wanting to worry u but i had a blood test 4 arthritus, in my feet, dr picked up on high enzymes in my liver, asked if i was drinking a lot, that was a yr ago, mayb he was testing 4 it, not sure he didnt say he was, not sure if they can test wiv out u knowing,
        :upset: lol the assmaster!! im slowly tryin to unwedge my head out my arse !!

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

My husband had blood tests and it showed high cholestrol. Then he was AF 30 days and his cholestrol level was normal. I think one can safely say it COULD be a contributing factor for high cholestrol but other causes could too.

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

I had a whole battery of tests because of high blood pressure - hadn't had a drink for 48 hours beforehand and all tests were fine. Apparently Kudzu reduces blood pressure.

Uli

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Just my 2 cents. . . If your doctor is just measuring cholesterol and kidney function, alcohol will not show up. Not to say that alcohol comsumptoin over time won't elevate cholesterol, but there is nothing that's going to show up with those tests that will indicate alcohol use specifically. Also, my understanding is that alcohol cannot be detected in the blood stream after being AF for 24 hours. Hope that helps. Good luck! It'll be fine.

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Thanks to all who replied and thanks for the welcome, I think this is a great site.

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

When I went to psychiatrist for depression he asked if I was drinking because GP had said I had issue with drinking I said yes, and he tested me for liver enzymes - luckily for me they came out normal at that time about 1 year ago I think.

I think it makes your liver and kidneys work harder and then it has a knock-on effect on everything I think.

I don't think they would just test you for alcohol levels but the doctors do know what blood test results are when alcohol has caused them -- my God I am rambling now and I haven't had a drink !!! I don't even know if I understand what I just said.
                  I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                  I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Jess, it dosen't show up during routine blood work for cholesterol and liver functions. I have been taking cholesterol medication for 3 years, during my most heavy drinking, nothing ever showed during my quartlerly bloodwork. On the other hand my husband had a boys weekend a couple of years ago and was scheduled for blood work on the following Monday. His liver enzymes showed elevated, but alcohol itself no. But his doctor asked if he drank heavily , he said no, she said take a 30 day sabatical and test again he did and his test turned out fine.All the best for you
                    Mar

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Hi,

I had a health screen last year and actually had a hangover that day, having been drinking the night before.

My cholesterol was slightly high, but apparently is was the good cholesterol not the bad. My blood pressure was high and I'm sure this was due to the drinking, as it's a common factor of drinking that alcohol increases blood pressure. Now I've realised that it's really not worth being a slave to drink my blood pressure is back to normal.

Hope this helps
                      Sweet

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Jess,
                        Alcohol use won't show up on just a cholesterol or kidney function test. But it is common for doctors to also run a liver panel along with other tests. Chronic alcohol use will raise liver enzyme levels which will show up on a liver panel. These levels can go down in a little as 24 hours AF or may take several days or much longer to go down, depending on your situation. Please remember that alcohol use definitely contributes to or causes high blood pressure and high blood pressure can cause permanent and irreversible kidney damage. Most of the people on dialysis today probably wouldn't be there if they had kept their BP under control when younger.
                        What I am saying is, never mind if they do the liver tests or not. Your BP should be a warning sign. You should think of quitting alcohol as a way to save your kidneys, if nothing else.
                        Good luck on the tests. I hope all goes well.
                        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Thanks for the replies, since my docs appointment last Monday I have cut the alcohol in half to what I was drinking. I have done this easier than I thought I could but dont know if its enough to do well with the tests this Friday. I might take cold feet and not go for them as I did this before, however I would like to get them done once and for all just to see how things are, I am really pleased with myself for the last week in cutting down a good bit and will definately keep that going and then eventually hope to stop altogether.

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

Hi Jess, please go for the test, gp will not be looking for alcohol consumption unless this was already a concern, even if it was, this will only help you. Good luck.

L
                            Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

BLOOD TESTS

The alcohol wasnt a concern the doc mentioned, he did say to lose weight and excercise more but he never mentioned or asked if I drank at all. Im already on tablets for High blood pressure but as it was still a bit high they want to look at the medication Im on, it was just the nurse that noticed I had never had this done before and so thought it was time I did, but Im panicking in case they know that I drink too much as Ive been going to the same practice for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X