Miracle food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

Here's one (gonna post in recipe forum too)

Quinoa with Leeks and Shiitake Mushrooms
    3 cups vegetable broth
    ? tsp. salt
    1 ? cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    3 T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    3 T olive oil
    ? tsp. fresh ground pepper
    3 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
    4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
    1 ? cups chopped red bell pepper
    ? cup dry white wine
    ? cup chopped walnuts

Place broth and salt in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Stir in parsley and pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add leek; saut? 6 min. or until wilted. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and wine and cook 2 min. or until vegetables are tender. Stir into quinoa. Top with walnuts. Serves 4
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

yum- leeks are trippy

Comment

Miracle food!

Do you have any idea how much 4 cups of freshly sliced shiitake caps would cost me where I live? It might as well call for 4 cups premium caviar. (That would probably be cheaper, actually.)
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Miracle food!

Oh god, you're right. That would be expensive. Did you know that using dried mushrooms is just as good or better? The flavor is more concentrated. You soak in hot water til soft. Then use the soaking water in a recipe for extra flavor. Course you don't want 4 cups of em! When I make this I'll probably do part shitake and part crimini mushrooms (which by the way are baby portabellas!).

Comment

Miracle food!

I have seen the dried shiitakes in ethnic shops (where I live, that means foreign importers selling exotic stuff and cheaper vegetebles in tiny little chaotic hole-in-the wall places) but they were from China, so I was a bit wary. Do you know if those are ok?

Good idea to mix in other mushrooms. I've never seen crimini but we do get portabellas for a small fortune (as opposed to the large fortune shiitakes command) and something called "aroma" mushrooms-- they look like regular white mushrooms but are brown and have a bit more taste. Have you ever seen/used those?

I love mushrooms. (and quinoa, of course)
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Miracle food!

Those are likely crimini shrooms I was talking about. They look just like white but brown and more flavor (as you said). It's a little known fact that they are baby portabellas.
              Not sure about shitakes from China.
              I've not had many mushroooms since I've been trying to get rid of candida (you know, cant eat fungi). wwaaaaaaaa.

Comment

Miracle food!

Yum, I've been eating this for breakfast several times a week now. This morning I had basic cooked quinoa, then added broccoli stem shreds and raw garlic at the end. I added a small piece of leftover baked herb chicken that I had from dinner last night. YUM. I LOVE garlic for breakfast. Sweet stuff in the morning-blech
                Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Miracle food!

MOW, I am going to try your mushroom one next week. I know someone who LOVES mushrooms-the more the better. We'll try the full 4 cups and report back. I can get the shitakes at the farmers market pretty cheaply.
                  Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

Miracle food!

I do not like sweet things in the morning either. Yuck.

More2, you can find quinoa at any grocery store nowadays. In the flour/pasta aisle they have bags of it, or if you go to Whole Foods or PCC or Central Market they should have it in their bulk section. I can bring you some next week when we meet up too!
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

meet up? meet up? I'm out of the loop? (Of course I'm out of the stratosphere too.)

Comment

Miracle food!

MOW...love the recipe! Amethyst, you make leftovers actually sound good with yours. (I normally can't stand leftovers)....I have such a short attention span.
                        Suki you are kind but if I don't have the patience for leftovers I'm afraid writing a book is a long shot I'll try to post in the recipe section if anything really neat occurs to me.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

Geeeeeez .... thanks guys. Finally found and bought some quinoa and now had to read through 14 bloody pages and 131 posts to find out what to do with the stuff ..................

It better be yummy!

Comment

Miracle food!

I'm not sure it's an appropriate food for frogs...

Comment

Miracle food!

don't forget to rinse it thoroughly before cooking Tawny. And cook it in chicken broth if you are making a savory version.
                              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

Thanks Lushy .... I did rinse but there was no discernible 'cloudy stuff' in the rinsing water. I wonder if my stuff is pre-cleaned? Anyway .... I cooked it in water only just to see how it behaves and can actually understand further uses. Will now try it with broth instead of water.

And MOW .... get over it. I don't think you understand frogs at all ........

Comment

Working...
                                X