Gout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gout

Has anyone ever experienced "gout"? Is it caused by drinking? Are there any good home remedies for it??

Thanks!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Gout

Gout

Hi LVT25,
    Gout is caused by a build up of ureic (wrong spelling but sound it out) acid in joints which has crystallised. My H has it and was recommended to drink cranberry juice, 1 glass per day and my aunt swears by eating five cherries a day. She buys them in season and freezes them. It is awfully painful and can be caused by drinking or even having to much shellfish.
    Hopes this helps.
    Take Care
    Shas
    Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Gout

I have a friend who had it and it was attributed to his red wine consumption. I heard grapefruit juice is good for it.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Gout

My father has battled gout for years. It may not be caused by alcohol, but it is highly aggravated by it. It is mostly found in the joints and particularly when there have been broken bones. He once had it so bad, that he had to have the fluid and crystals removed by a syringe in ease the pain. This particular bout was during his red-wine phase (he usually drinks beer). He was told that he needed to stay away from alcohol when it flairs up.

He takes Allopuranol twice a day to help prevent the build up of uric acid in his body. He takes Colchicine when he has flair-ups. These are prescribed meds, so I am not aware of any home remedies.

Love, Me
        :l
        Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Gout

I have an employee who gets it when he eats too much pork. (They have Hog Roasts frequently) I understand that different things cause it in each person's system. I have heard of shellfish & also red wine being triggers.

HUMMMM, maybe my guy drinks alot of red wine with his roasted pork. I'll have to ask him.
          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Gout

Thanks for the info guys! My hubby is the one that suffers too! It must really hurt.

I don't have as much sympathy as I should, mainly because he doesn't typically listen to my advice anyway. Now if i tell his mom to tell him, he will listen!

I wonder if gout affects men only?? I read last night that beer is the worst, then liquor, but wine really does not increase the risk of getting these attacks. He's been drinking cherry juice and eating cherries. His sister told him to get some cherry supplements. I will see if he wants to try the cranberry juice.

One thing about it, he does stay off the beer when he's got it!

Thanks again for all your help!:h
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Gout

I had a slight case of gout a long time ago... I was young, a little overweight, and did not drink alcohol at all. I had to change my diet and drink more water. It can become painful, but I don't think it is necessarily associated with alcohol or male or female. I think King Henry the VIII was famous for having gout due to his rich and excessive diet.
              Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Gout

Ah, but back in Henry's day all they drank was mead and wine! :H

Just a thought......

Love, Me
                :l
                Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Gout

My hubby gets it quite often. He does not drink or eat shellfish. For a man the was up tilling our garden 3 weeks after a tripple bypass, gout will put him down for a few days. Must be MAJOR pain.

Never heard about cranberry juice, but we will give that a try..

Julie
                  AF Since December 2006

Comment

Gout

Gout can be treated with medications such as corticosterones but with these medications also comes the side effects. However, there are natural treatments and home remedies that you can do to lessen the severity of the pain and other symptoms of gout.

For prevention, be sure to drink plenty of water or fluids each day. It also helps a lot if you maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight can increase your chances of getting high uric acid levels as well and leads to gout.

For treatment, drinking cherry juice or eating fresh cherries is one popular natural remedy for gout. Like any other natural treatments, its effectiveness may differ from one person to another, but most people who have tried cherry juice have found some remarkable effect on their problems with gout. Aside from cherries, blueberries and apples are also great natural treatment for gout. Rosehip is also another natural treatment for gout especially if you take it as a beverage. You can also take rosehip tea as your everyday drink.

You can indeed fight gout naturally. Understanding gout causes and treatments is one of your best defenses. Along with it should be dietary and lifestyle changes that will help you a lot in reducing the level of uric acid in your body.

Carolyn Anderson loves to share some resources that you will find useful in fighting common health problems like gout and skin diseases. If you are having problems with gout, check out dealing with gout. Also check out Cold Sore Freedom, where you can find an all-natural cure for cold sores and eliminate it out of your life.

Comment

Working...
                    X