• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What helps cortisol levels?

Anybody know?
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

I heard zinc citrate
    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
    - George Jackson

Comment

MyOwnWoman;361961 wrote: Anybody know?
      Not to complicate your question, but when you say "helps" what does that mean for you? Do you know what your levels are?

I really didn't know diddly doo about Cortisol (and still don't know a lot) - only what I heard in commercial after commercial pitching stomach fat reducing weight loss products that mentioned cortisol.

What I now know which is barely more than I used to, is that Cortisol is a hormone, and a vital one at that. It needs to be in balance for optimal health, just like all the other hormone systems.

I was tested and this is what I learned about my own cortisol levels. First thing in the morning my cortisol is lower than it should be by a bit. At noon and at 5PM my levels are within normal range. At bed time, my Cortisol skyrockets to an absurdly high level, contributing to my difficulties sleeping.

I also learned that in the amazing inter-relationship of all the various hormone systems, that sometimes problems with cortisol resolve on their own if you have a progesterone problem and fix it. I have very low progesterone which we are working on, so not treating the cortisol specifically right now until we look at the levels again when the progesterone is fixed.

I'm sure there are lots of different opinions on how to determine if cortisol levels are a problem for any individual and if so, how to fix it. I was just pretty amazed by the difference between the TV commercials bandying "cortisol" about v. the more complex details and inter relationships of these systems.

Don't know if this post is helpful or not....

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

How do you get your cortisol levels checked DG? I know it's hard/expensive here in the UK - do you have kits or something?
        :heart: c: :heart:
        "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Hi MYO,
          How are you? Tell me about cortisol. I have been thinking about it - I have had a bunch of life stresses - big stresses, and I am tired a lot, and I wonder if I have some sort of a cortisol problem.
          Lila

Comment

Yes, I tried "Relacore" as sold and marketed. Did not notice a difference, but, did not stop drinking too, which enhances the "stress" which enhances the cortisol levels.

Also, Holy Basil. Same scenerio.
            I do know stress is major in its production.

Wishing you peace,

Karen
            :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Only have a second - but will post more later. DG started a great thread on bioidentical hormone replacement. I haven't had much time, but am still reading through it and will post on it.

Cortisol has to do with Adrenal Glands. Rebuilding the Adrenals can be accomplished through supplements, diet and OH THE EASY TO ACCOMPLISH ......... STRESS REDUCTION :H

You test the Cortisol levels through the saliva tests
              . I am on hormone replacement due to a Hyst. at a young age - and use bio identical compounds. I also take a forumla supplement for the Adrenals.

I think there is more info on that thread - but I will get back on here later and post more
              AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Finding My Self;362156 wrote: How do you get your cortisol levels checked DG? I know it's hard/expensive here in the UK - do you have kits or something?
                As Liv mentioned, a saliva test seems to be the desired method - and testing at specific intervals throughout the day gives you more meaningful information.

I'm just learning about all this stuff, but there are MANY possibilities of things that can go out of whack with the major hormone systems that end up causing fatique and other symptoms. I don't think I would test just one thing in isolation, or try to fix one thing in isolation. If there are multiple imbalances, fixing one is not likely to leave you feeling wonderful.

I think the biggest challenge is finding a doctor who knows what they are doing WRT all the hormone systems, and understands bio-identical and natural hormone therapies. If you find the right doctor, they will know based on all of your symptoms what all tests are needed, and how to interpret the results and then treat.

There is more info on the bio-identical hormone thread with tips for trying to find a doctor. Anyone in the Chicago area or even Northern IN can PM me if you want the contact info for my doc.

Liv if you are still following this thread - how often do you get your hormones tested to make sure you are in balance and make adjustments where needed? Just curious....

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I'm going to my naturopath this week to get the testing kit, to get my adrenals tested.
                  FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

I agree with DG's comments on the hormones as a whole.

DG - in the beginning I had them tested after 3 months, 6 months and now yearly. Now that I am 47 - I need to have them checked again in 6 months -- as my balance is just starting to show a decline in estrogen. (I have always been estrogen dominate, and just take the progesterone and DHA)

It truly is a balancing act with the adrenals and rebuilding them takes time and lower stress.
                    But you will feel better in a short amount of time.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

1)exercise, 2)good diet and 3)healthy stress lowering disciplines

will significantly reduce stress and rebuild your glandular system in general. and...no supplements to buy!

now, if you really need supplements by all means take them...I am after all the supplement popping posterchild Honestly I think we can do a lot of good with just those 3 things though. I tend to get over excited about what supplements can do but the basics still reign supreme. back to nature!
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Oprah had a DR. on today that I'm caught a few Min's. of and she said sleeping up to hrs. a day reduces stress...I am not sure that I heard it right because I was waiting on a customer at the time but she surely is not a recovery alcoholic...I am lucky to sleep 3or 4 hrs......15hrs. would reduce my stress and cortisol all right...
                        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Evie did they say 15 hours of sleep??? Thats CRAZY!! Only drugs would knock me out for that long :H

Det - you are so right - I am a supplement queen, and sometimes I have to remind myself that my diet and exercise will do profoundly more and help the supplements work better as well! The basics are always the best Rx!!

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

evielou;364910 wrote: Oprah had a DR. on today that I'm caught a few Min's. of and she said sleeping up to hrs. a day reduces stress...I am not sure that I heard it right because I was waiting on a customer at the time but she surely is not a recovery alcoholic...I am lucky to sleep 3or 4 hrs......15hrs. would reduce my stress and cortisol all right...
                            While I completely understand that Oprah can afford the best medical help in the world, I'm not sure she is getting it right now. She is Hypothyroid (according to her) and yet is supposedly on a diet that includes a lot of soy. Thyroid Problems 101 says No Soy. It really is not easy to find good doctors for hormone system problems and I'm suspecting that Oprah hasn't found one either. An Endo would be the logical thing, however I think they are swamped specializing in Diabetes related problems......

Anyway...just a ramble that isn't even worth 2 cents!

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

My Yoga instructor informed me that one hour of Yoga lowers cortisol levels.

I am also reading a great book on Yoga by a medical doctor. He says in the book that studies were done on what physical conditions Yoga benefits, at the top of the list was alcoholism! Alcoholism was the only condition on the survey in which 100% of the patients felt improvement.
                              Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                              - George Jackson

Comment

Working...
                              X