Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having trouble managin anxiety

hi all

I am having a particularly anxious week - important legal stuff I thought would be done isn't and my life feels like it is on hold.
    I am waking up in the middle of the night, can't get back to sleep, having a hard time being a decent mother - who wants to grocery shop, etc.
    I took some gaba this morning...I am taking st johns wort too, has been working pretty well but this is a very tense week.
    I am usually pretty strong but just - I just can't seem to stop worrying and shaking.
    Are there any good supps for this???

Lila

Hi Lila,

I also take 5-HTP which is great for anxiety as well as helping you sleep.

Hang in there!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

thank you - i feel nauseus, maybe i will feel better later on today -maybe i'll go to a health food store

Comment

Melatonin is my wonder supp for helping me sleep...it's cheap & powerful! Sweet Dreams!:h
        You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

If you're waking up in the middle of the night you might need the time released melatonin, they also make a time released valerian.
          Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
          - George Jackson

Comment

One True Calm plus one GABA (both from MWO) plus a vitamin C (on empty stomach) work wonders for me in the daytime. For sleeping, see my recent post in General...
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I will have to check out the time released melatonin, sounds great! Although I'd probably wet the bed, since that's what wakes me up!:H
              You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

For a very long time I thought I was just suffering from depression. But a therapist clued me into something. He said I had anxiety that was weighing me down and causing me depression, also underlying my drinking.

You can try all these supplements, but the best thing in my opinion is meditation and to learn a new philosophy on life. I have read tons about it. But the best book so far has been one suggested by a new member Work In Progress, called Mindfulness Way Through Depression, Kabatt Zinn is one author.

What we need to learn is to become one with ourselves, to accept that anxious thoughts are part of living, for some of us they are much more intense. These are problems millions have a problem with. And once we know that, we feel less alone. You need to learn to feel that the thoughts are not you, they are there, but they don't define you. It's a cultural and philosophical shift, but it has enormous benefits.

Nancy

PS make sure that along with looking for things to calm you down you take away things that make you anxious like caffeine. Alcohol is said to mess up the workings of nervous system too.

Comment

Like one2many the Rescue remedy.....IAD.
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

I think you all are right, and thanks, Nancy, I think our thoughts are stronger than any drug or supplement, although supplements help a lot, and are necessary. I will see if that book is at the library.
                    I am in the middle of a real estate transaction - well, I don't even want to talk about it. I just seem to respond to stuff like this by getting all stressed.
                    I'll meditate on your graphic, Iad!

I also did want to share that I was a nervous wreck. Thank you all for writing.
                    Maybe this is a good time for me to realize I need a better way of looking at life. How else would I know?

Lila

Comment

Hi Lila

When I look back at my life and look at anxiety... I see a lot of unncecessary worrying.
                      Think about problems you have had, what ifs come up, disastrous things that never even occur yet tortured you.

The way we are raised is that thoughts are everything, they are us. But in fact, thinking can be irrational, unhelpful or as the Mindfulness book puts it, highly inaccurate. Meditation/deep breathing is great for that. Try taking 5 or 10 minutes time out to just be still and breathe deeply, focusing on your breath. When the worries come up, just gently refocus on your breath, don't drive them out. This helps you not get all wrapped up in your thoughts.

Comment

thanks Nancy

I will try that. I am feeling better today - I was so aware that I was putting poison in my body, all that andrenaline or whatever - not trusting life...so destructive to give in to worrying.
                        It helps to share here as well, as I tend to isolate.

Lila

Comment

Lila, so much great information on this thread ! It does help to share and to know that you are not alone in dealing with these types of thoughts and feelings. I will just share that meditation is a key for me, as is walking......the supp that really helps to keep me balanced is Omega 3, 6 and 9. It also helps keep my skin moist and looking healthy!!

You are doing so well Lila! I am rooting for you!!

xx Kate
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

thanks Kate

This is a great thread. It will be a long week and weekend for me - I reread these replies sometimes, yes, supplements -okay. Just took them.

Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions...

Lila

Comment

Well, one of the things I got from Rhonda was meditation might not be so good for me.

Supplements and walks in the woods, on the other hand...
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X