Nasal Irrigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasal Irrigation

This doesn't have much to do with drinking, but it has made an amazing difference in my health. I used to get sinus infections every winter, and they would last for weeks. Now I irrigate using a neti pot, about every other day. The solution is just tepid water with about 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Most of the water just runs into one nostril and out the other. A little gets caught in my sinuses, so about 1/2 hour later I tip my head upside down to make it run out. Otherwise, the next time I bend over it will come out at some inopportune moment. I tried irrigating before going to bed, but that extra water seemed to get absorbed, and my sinuses felt swollen and a little achy. Even when I have a cold, it is comfortable using gravity to irrigate. This loosens up the mucous, and it drains out better, avoiding infection. I wish I had found out about this years ago. This technique can also be done with a bulb syringe, or a nose spray bottle, but I find that the neti pot and gravity are much more comfortable than using pressure of any kind to force water up my nose. The neti pot is available in most health food stores, and even in the pharmacy section of larger grocery stores. I would be happy to answer any questions about this. It is close to free, and very effective. A nice research project on this technique caught my eye last year, I believe it was completed at the University of Michigan.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Nasal Irrigation

I've heard of this and I've seen the pots. I know that many swear by it. Glad to hear about your positive experience with it. I don't have trouble so much with sinus infection but with alergies (year round) and with post nasal drip. Don't know if it would help there either. It sounds so uncomfortable to me that I haven't tried it. Thanks for the info

:egad:
    Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Nasal Irrigation

I had surgery on my sinuses in 2006, and the doctor recommended that I do this. I use tepid water, kosher salt and baking soda. Amazing, isn't it??
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Nasal Irrigation

How big is this "pot"? It sounds like I would drown myself. I'm very interested in it. I suffer from chronic sinusitis
        :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Nasal Irrigation

I have one. I like ear candling as well.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Nasal Irrigation

I have one as well and I use it like maybe once a week. More in the winter cold and dry months. it really clears your breathing. I only use sea salt that has not additives. my BF thinks I am a freak though.
            You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Nasal Irrigation

bump
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Nasal Irrigation

Using a neti-pot is terrific, and no, you won't even feel like you are drowning, as you can breathe through your mouth while using it.

Here is a site that will show you how they work. Click on the video to observe. They are easier than you think.

SinuCleanse- Safe and Immediate Sinus Relief Naturally

This method is great for allergies, because it will flush all the allergens out of your sinuses. You can use it up to 4X a day when you are really stuffed up, although I have never used it this much. I use the product by the manufacturer in the link above, but there are a number of other brands. Use what you like best.

Good luck all.
                AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                X