more questions about kudzu and thyroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C&C Mom, thank you for some confirming info about soy and thyroid. I feel bad for you having had to have your radiated. Yikes! I'm lucky I guess that mine isn't (yet) WAY far out of whack, but I certainly don't want to be any more hypo than I already am.

I am SO GLAD you got through the ER situation without having a heart attack or something along those lines. WHEW!!!!

I'm wondering if you can take L-Glutamine to help with cravings? Everything I read suggests it's known to be good for sugar and subsequently alcohol cravings for a long time. (kudzu seems newer - less info out there on it) And now the next thing to come will be that L-Glut is bad for thyroid and I've been taking it all along!!! Never a dull moment in our world.

And yes Beatle - it would be difficult to be you!!

Lila, most of the additives are put there either as fillers or preservatives would be my guess??? But Beatle would probably either know, or have a much better guess than me LOL!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

first post

ok, so I don't know what I'm doing. I read the story of MWO and want to start but don't know what to do first. Do i buy the starter kit? Get a medical exam? What's first? And can I get the nutritional stuff at a local health store? I would like to be a moderate drinker, I think. Unless I can't, and then I'm off the stuff for good. Sounding brave.. any advice? :new::new::new::new:

Comment

Mirit,
        Welcome!!!
        FIrst of all, do you have any thyroid condition? If so, maybe don't order the Kudzu!
        I would, if you can, just download or order the book and order the Starter Pack. You might not need Topamax or any drugs. How heavy of a drinker are you? Unless you are real bad, I don't know why you would have to have a medical exam. Anyways, you sure have come to the right place!
        Look forward to hearing more from you, and start reading the forum!
        Lila

Comment

Hi Mirit - just adding to Lila's welcome. I totally agree wtih Lila's suggestion that your start with the My Way Out Book (you can download it for very little $$ and start reading it right away) and also the Starter Pack of supplements.

The recommendation of consulting your physician always officially applies. That being said, I did not personally consult mine before starting the supplement program. (at the time my thyroid condition was not diagnosed - hence the warning about soy)

I do recommend starting with the supplements purchased from My Way Out. I do believe that the folks here do a good job trying to make sure they are selling a high quality product. And in the supplement business, that is NOT always the case. Also - the All One (original formula) is FAR more than a typical multi-vitamin. It is loaded with amino acids that are critical to helping control cravings and heal our abused bodies. IMO, the best way to know if the My Way Out Supplement Program works is if you do it 'by the book' to start. (but don't take the kudzu if you are hypothyroid and/or avoiding soy isoflavones for any other reason)

Good luck to you. I wanted to moderate when I first got started, but I stumbled around and proved over and over that moderation isn't for me. I'm alcohol free for 6+ months now and will never look back. YOU CAN DO THIS!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I had (have I guess you never get rid of an autoimmune disorder?) Grave's Disease which is a form of hyperthyroidism where your own body attacks the thyroid and makes it overactive. I was very severe so I had no choice but to get rid of it. I think others on here have had something similar.

Good luck to all of you - we must be careful and of My Way Out does a great job and can't cover all inflictions/illnesses. I still believe the other supplements are very good and helpful. Glutamine is great. I pray I don't swell up and drop dead.
            "Parenthood remains the greatest single preserve of the amateur." Alvin Toffler

Comment

C&C Mom,

the NSI kudzu lists
              Kudzu root extract
              Kosher gelatin
              rice flour
              magnesium stearate

None of that could be bad for thyroid, what do you think? And I am so glad you mentioned the whole kudzu thing in the first place!!
              Lila

Comment

Hi and welcome mirit.

I agree with all of the above advice.

If you don't have thyroid issues, I recommend the kudzu for controlling cravings. If you don't have any major physical issues (besides our common enemy), and you don't feel comfortable consulting a physician, I believe the MWO programme is safe and you can just get going. (Just an aside: if you are a very heavy drinker and have been for many years, you must take precautions, as withdrawal by going cold turkey can be dangerous, even life-threatening).

In fact, if you are feeling very motivated, just go and buy a bunch of supplements to get started while you wait for your MWO stuff. Get a good strong multi-vite, B-50s, hi-strength esther-C, Cal-Mag 2:1, and milk thistle. I use L-glutamine in the powdered form (dissolve 5 grams in glass of water-- tastes fine, and it is good for much more than just cravings!).

The MWO programme packs everything up for you, it is good quality, and it makes it easier, but you can do most of it yourself if you want to, and especially if you will have to wait to get the MWO stuff... well, there's no time like the present-- so I recommend ordering the stuff AND buying some at the shop now to get yourself going ASAP.

Like DG, I (and many others here) began this programme and our whole journey wanting and believing moderation to be a possibility for us. Many of us found through painful experience that we had to accept that we are not able to moderate. On the other hand, there are some who are successful at moderating. Nobody here will judge... we all believe we have to find own own path.

The most important is to get started...
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

p.s. about kudzu and soy. I bow out here. I don't have an inkling about the soy element... and if it is just the MWO stuff? Has anyone asked RJ? Or the Capalo people?

Anyway, for now I am staying away from my trusty MWO stuff (which I was only takng sporadically anyway), waiting for some more clarification on this.

But Lila, I agree that you seem to have enough reassurances regarding the NSI stuff, and I would not worry about taking it if I were in your position. I just don't know how effective other brands than MWO are, as I believe the MWO stuff is supposed to be stronger, higher quality, than others... but????
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Kudzu Root supplement beneift : by Ray Sahelian, M.D., binge drinking kudzu root alcohol cessation

As I can see from this - Kudzu root is made up of or breaks down to the isolflavones daidzein and daidzin. This is a soy isoflavone. I further looked to My Way Out Kudzu and RJ has put a disclaimer that people with existing thyroid conditions should be cautioned.

It is what all kudzu is made up of or how is breaks down - it breaks down to the soy isoflavones.

Each person may be different - and maybe in super small doses it would be okay but I think if you choose to take kudzu & have low thyoid you need to get frequent TSH/T3 readings to make sure you are okay.

Comment

Thank you SO much for your leg work on this topic, and for this clarification. So it's kudzu itself, not so much an additive, right? This sure is a great community for sharing ideas and information!

DG

C&C Mom;494490 wrote: Kudzu Root supplement beneift : by Ray Sahelian, M.D., binge drinking kudzu root alcohol cessation

As I can see from this - Kudzu root is made up of or breaks down to the isolflavones daidzein and daidzin. This is a soy isoflavone. I further looked to My Way Out Kudzu and RJ has put a disclaimer that people with existing thyroid conditions should be cautioned.

It is what all kudzu is made up of or how is breaks down - it breaks down to the soy isoflavones.

Each person may be different - and maybe in super small doses it would be okay but I think if you choose to take kudzu & have low thyoid you need to get frequent TSH/T3 readings to make sure you are okay.
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

but how can Kudzu break down into Soy? I don't understand....

Comment

Well, I had to share after my experience. Now I was taking Kudzu 2-3 times a day and is why I had such a reaction. But I need every little bit of thyroid I have to feel well so I will not take anything that will rob me of it.

I am so glad RJ put a note in the Kudzu rescue that she sells. However, maybe someone shouls ask to put a sticy in holistic healing or somewhere for those who would buy Kudzu elsewhere that they need to check with a doctor if they have a thyroid condition.

You know getting off drink is hard enough and adding a severe hypothyroid to the mix adding depression, water retention, weight gain, lethargy, possiible heart problems - etc. is not good.

Comment

Lila,

Did you click on the link at the top of my post by Ray Sahelian, MD? It explains it or you can google what kudzu is made of.....

Comment

Here's another good link to look at - a little technical but you'll get the jist....

Fit Fare - ? Soy Impacts Thyroid Function

Comment

alcohol and hypothyroid

Beatle:

I am pretty sure it was a holistic doctor who told me that alcoholism can cause hypothyroidism.

I did a google search though and didn't come up with that much. I don't know how good this site is below... it describes the relation of alcohol and hypothyroidism. Scroll down to the lifestyle part which says:

Lifestyle factors
                                Smoking has harmful effects on the thyroid. A study evaluating one hundred thirty-five female hypothyroid patients and a similar number of controls relative to cigarette smoking observed a statistically significant relationship between smoking and increased levels of hypothyroidism. The authors conclude that smoking has both a goitrogenic effect and other basic thyroid dysfunction influences.

Alcohol
                                Excessive alcohol consumption may be harmful to hypothyroid patients. Low T3 and T4 levels are found in alcoholic cirrhosis patients and animals exposed to ethanol have impaired hepatic 5'-deiodiniation, meaning that their liver's ability to convert T4 to T3 is impaired.

Caffeine, helpful in the short term
                                Hypothyroidism causes an increase in three inhibitory molecules, alpha adrenergic receptors, phosphodiesterase and G1 proteins (the latter increases cellular sensitivity to adenosine and adenosine receptor binding). Phosphodiesterase inactivates cAMP. Adenosine activates an inhibitory GTP-binding protein (G1) that also decreases cAMP formation. I have always advocated avoidance of caffeine, especially in the form of coffee however, caffeine in moderate doses inhibits these potent enzymes phosphodiesterase and adenosine, which are both metabolic inhibitors.

DrWells.net : Nutrition

Comment

Working...
                                X