Liver health and weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who quit drinking but are wondering why you haven't lost weight... I've been doing some reading about how an unhealthy liver can hinder nearly all efforts at weight loss. I'm just beginning to learn about this - but wanted to post in case anyone else knows anything about this and can share, also to encourage those still struggling with weight issues to learn more about your liver. It seems that there are several ways the liver impacts weight, especially midsection weight. I'm going to keep researching, because I've been trying so hard to lose weight with the usual eating right and exercising but I am not losing and I know there must be something wrong. I think this liver connection may be key.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

That makes sense to me !!! Have you tried Liv 52.??? goggle it, it is pretty amazing stuff and my liver tests have proved that to be true.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

MOW, I have two books from this company and some supplements. Dr Sandra Cabot's Liver Doctor - Love your Liver and Live Longer What she writes about makes a lot of sense to me. I am not very successful on her diet plan because a lot of the foods she suggests are not foods I like so I have to force myself to eat them. However, her research on the liver and how it affects weigh is very much in line with your post.

I am currently on a seven day bowel and liver cleanse, using an herbal supplement kit I got from the health food store.
      vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Milk thistle is apparently a very good herbal assist to sortign your liver out, if anybody's interested I work in a chemist store and can get information on natural and homeopathic supplements that could help improve liver function
        The way I change the past is by not repeating it
        -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

Thanks! I have an appt with my naturopath in a couple days, to get a physical and discuss my weight and mood troubles and general yuck feeling. I get so lost researching online, so much info, I figure I'll have to just be honest with her and tell her why I think my liver is probably a mess, so she can help me to find solutions with that knowledge. I'll look into your references too. Thanks again!

Comment

I do believe that a healthy liver and weight are so connected. So do all MD's who specialize in liver disease. My husband had to have chemotherapy for his liver about 5 years ago and because he is so lean they felt he would respond well to the treatment. He actually became a test case because they had never seen the the disease go in remission that fast. He became the star patient of the place and the medical staff (teaching, prominent hospital).

Its my hubbys story, I'm just telling it,

Sammys

Comment

Evie.Lou;549215 wrote: That makes sense to me !!! Have you tried Liv 52.??? goggle it, it is pretty amazing stuff and my liver tests have proved that to be true.
              What Evie said. Liv.52 - Herbal Liver Support Good stuff and there is a lot of info at the link.

Comment

anyone who is or has drank to excess will have a condition known as 'fatty liver' which is extremely common but deadly if left untreated for a long time. the treatment is very simply thankfully. first: quit drinking (d-uh) and take choline supplements (lecithin) which can help to clear the fat log-jam and get the organ functioning with efficiency again. CAT-scan verified studies have shown those with the disease that were given 1 to 4 grams of choline chloride daily completely reversed the condition in 6 weeks.

choline is most common dietarily in eggs and meats which explains why some vegetarians become frustrated at their inability to lose weight (lack of dietary choline). choline also helps the body to retain carnitine (another fat burner).

I get the super big can of lecithin granules in a vacuum sealed tin and keep it in the fridge to keep it from going rancid. dump a teaspoon in your smoothies, on salads etc.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

MWO,

I've been having the same problem. Exercising & dieting and still can't lose weight.

I have also just started taking the Liv-52 as well as SAM-e, Omega 3-6-9 complex and B complex.

I hope you keep us updated as to what the doc had to say.
                  AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

This is very interesting info to me. I am learning quite a lot!
                    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

You know, this post really got me to thinking! 3 yrs ago after my physical, my doctor told me he saw a little fat in my liver. At the time I thought it was because I was overweight! Since that time I have lost 50 lbs & kept it off for 1.5 yrs, but I will now try these choline supplements when I begin abstinence 3/15.

Determinator;549544 wrote: anyone who is or has drank to excess will have a condition known as 'fatty liver' which is extremely common but deadly if left untreated for a long time. the treatment is very simply thankfully. first: quit drinking (d-uh) and take choline supplements (lecithin) which can help to clear the fat log-jam and get the organ functioning with efficiency again. CAT-scan verified studies have shown those with the disease that were given 1 to 4 grams of choline chloride daily completely reversed the condition in 6 weeks.

choline is most common dietarily in eggs and meats which explains why some vegetarians become frustrated at their inability to lose weight (lack of dietary choline). choline also helps the body to retain carnitine (another fat burner).

I get the super big can of lecithin granules in a vacuum sealed tin and keep it in the fridge to keep it from going rancid. dump a teaspoon in your smoothies, on salads etc.

Comment

Such great info here, I'm so glad I posted. Det, I did read that lecithin helps alot, and put it on my list of things to get. I've got quite a list going in fact, so I'm glad that I'm seeing my naturopath tomorrow so she can help me sort it out. I'm going to be brave and tell her the truth about my drinking. Past drinking, that is!!

Comment

MOW, that's great news, and good for you being so brave. SAM-e is a fantastic liver aid as well but be careful as there are a lot of scam forms of it on the market sadly. And the good stuff is mighty expensive although it has helped to reverse some death-bed liver disease cases which is pretty amazing.
                          Look forward to hearing what your natro says....
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Often, when a woman can't lose weight despite doing all the "right" things, it means she has hypothyroidism... which is in turn related to the liver, it seems.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Det,

I ordered the My Way Out SAMe through the health store here at MWO. Figured the dosage would be geared more toward recovering alcoholics. But I know what you mean about being careful about what you buy and where you buy it.
                              AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X