Tools for the healthful alteration of our consciousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunbeam;576164 wrote: Gardening does it for me: it requires good exercise, produces a beutiful and/or tasty healthy product.
    Can you recommend a good book or a good web site that is basically Gardening for Dummies? I really need to find a very basic starting point to learn how to grow stuff.

Thanks!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggygirl,
      I've been thinking of starting a gardening thread, so I'll meet you at general discussion. What kind of garden would you like to grow, flowers or vegetables or something else? Most herbs are extremely easy.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

yes!
        yoga and gardening!!!!

good for the soul...

Comment

Sunbeam;576221 wrote: Doggygirl,
          I've been thinking of starting a gardening thread, so I'll meet you at general discussion. What kind of garden would you like to grow, flowers or vegetables or something else? Most herbs are extremely easy.
          All 3 actually. I would love to grow herbs in some pots right on my deck close to the kitchen. Flowers both in the ground and pots. And some vegetables. I need a teacher. Please help!

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

you are all awsome, look at all the great tools amassed here.

yoga-gardening....hmmmm I'm picturing someone rolling around in the yard. LOL sounds great.

yes indeed the act of giving bears with it an amazing reward function. it's scientifically proven that an act of kindness will benefit the 'giver' by measurable increases in the 'happy' brain neurotransmitters.
            it's a personal hunch but I think all "goal achieving" has a similar effect on our brains as well.

kava kava, that's been a popular social drink in polynesia for a very long time.

cooking, heck yes. a combination of art and goal achieving. and of course the act of eating releases endorphins (some of us may tend to overeat after becoming aF and I know I'm one of those). But I sure get a lot of joy from the culinary world.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

What is Kava Kava?
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

an herb dee...actually a root...it helps with calming, some use it to sleep.

Comment

DeeBee;576492 wrote: What is Kava Kava?
                  Its a root. You can get it in pill form in health stores. It makes you feel relaxed. Studies have shown that for some people it works better than anti anxiety meds.
                  Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                  That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                  Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                  Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

Nature....awesome sunsets, sunrises, thunderstorms, vibrant fall colors, waterfalls and cool running streams, mist on the lake in early a.m., pine forest (ummm smell), seeing a bear or an eagle.....it all gives me a rush!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

These are great.

For me, definitely nature, music, and BOOKs!

Late in the evening, when I start wishing I had something to drink, I remind myself of the book by the side of my bed, and poof! I'm whistling my way through brushing my teeth (no easy feat) and off to that real reward.

And yes, gardening -- a newly discovered "high' -- although it's more like a calming meditative high.

DoggyGirl-- do you have any friends who like to garden? If you do, tell them you are interested and invite them over for lunch or something. Then you can garden side-by-side while chatting, combining the social with the educational. This is what I did (not intentionally, but it worked) -- now we are much closer friends and my garden is great.
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

What a great thread - I love to get high!!
                        Now it's most of the above + really good food + sometimes dessert (made by someone else)

xo

Comment

Working...
                        X