Supplement Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplement Question

Anybody have any good suggestions on a liver "repair" supplement? I tried Milk Thistle, but after two attempts, I realized I'm terribly allergic to it. Thanks.
    AF since July 8, 2009...

Supplement Question

Hi National. I am sorry to hear that you are allergic to milk thistle. As I understand it, replacement of all the B group vitamins is essential. I only ever take supplements that are derived from plant material. I believe that synthetically derived supplements, that might be cheaper, are not that well absorbed.

I also try to eat lots of whole grains and legumes to boost my natural supply. In addition to trying to cut out alcohol, I have cut out all highly refined foods and foods too highly proccessed.

I was reading an article on liver disease yesterday and a point was made that more people are developing liver disease due to the high fat/high proccessed content than ever before.

My take is that we have to be aware not only of what we drink, but also of what we eat.

Comment

Supplement Question

I think there is one called Liv 52. I know nothing about it, but have heard others talk about it?
      Maybe someone can jump in here?
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Supplement Question

National, I see that you are another Saffie. I get a supplement from Woolworths that is made from an organic source. The supplement is at work at the moment, but the name starts with a N. They also have one with milk thistle. Which milkthistle did you try? . Try their supplement, it has certainly helped me.

I used to have a horribly fissured tongue due to a lack of Vitamin B and that has almost completely disappeared. If you have not tried their milkthistle, it is combined with a potently high vitamin B compound, give it one more shot.

Comment

Supplement Question

Thanks Veritas...I'll stop by Woolworths in the morning. I've tried two different milk thistle brands, but I'll give it another try as the allergy is only cracked/chapped lips (but horrible while it lasts!). Thanks!
          AF since July 8, 2009...

Comment

Supplement Question

National, my daughter was on Ruacutan for a while and I bought a special lip balm from Dis-chem that helped a lot. Cracked lips is a side effect of Ruacutan.

I know that its winter, but I would also suggest that you stay out of the sun. Maybe the milkthistle is leaving you more sensitive to the sun than usual.

Comment

Supplement Question

I get chapped cracked lips from drinking. It takes about 2 - 3 days for my lips to get back to normal after a drinking episode that results in a hangover. I put lip balm on my lips constantly for about 3 days and they seem to go back to normal. It may not be the milk thistle that is causing the cracked lips.

Comment

Supplement Question

prancy -

miracle product.... dr. dan's cortibalm. go to his website for a free sample and tell me your thoughts. i bought it at the cleveland clinic in ohio and couldn't find it in GA, and got a sample from their website and then sent the request to my local pharmacy for it.

Dr. Dan's CortiBalm - specially formulated medicated lip balm for severely chapped lips

dr. dan even gives u instructions on how u can get your local pharmacy to carry it. much luck to your lips!!!! : 0 ) .... dmb.

Comment

Supplement Question

National - Liv 52 is a really good supplement if you can't take milk thistle. As well Lecithen is good for the liver as well.

Hope that helps!
                  Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
                  :h

Comment

Working...
                  X