Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most nutritionally complete food source in the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, move over quinoa-- this is apparently the top superfood:

Hemp seed.

"No other single plant source has the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form, nor has the essential fatty acids in as perfect a ratio to meet human nutritional needs."

Of course, the importance of hemp seed nutrients to human health cannot be fully appreciated without some understanding of bio-chemistry. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide that.

Also unfortunately, it does not share a common side effect associated with its relatives in the Cannabis family.

But it tastes great sprinkled on salads, or anything else you might sprinkle seeds or cheese on.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

I guess I should have titled this: Better than Pot
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Beatle, here in SA, hemp is classed the same as "dagga" so the growing of it is illegal.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

beatle;748315 wrote:
        Also unfortunately, it does not share a common side effect associated with its relatives in the Cannabis family.
        When we were teenagers, my brother tried to grow some hemp seed. The myth went that if you sprinkled it on a Ryvita crispbread and kept it somewhere warm, it would germinate and produce cannabis plants. Double

It eventually turned into a mushy, mouldy mess, and we went back to the tried and tested practice of smoking dried banana skins instead :H
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

beatle;748965 wrote: I guess I should have titled this: Better than Pot
          lmao!!:H

It is surprising some of the facts about various plants, flowers, herbs etc that we would not generally consume as humans because of stigma. to be honest beatle I didn't know this either (nutritional value) about hemp seeds. I don't think Holland & Barret would sell hemp seeds among their seed and dry fruit selection though! I'll have to stick to the normal array of seeds I through over a salad! FOR NOW!! Hemp is so versatile though. I have a few items made from hemp. Waistcoat, Wallet, trousers....!!

Love and Light
          Phil
          xx
          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Beatle, I wonder if , like flax, it would be better if freshly ground. Not meaning better in taste as I HAVE hemp powder which is rather like dirt, but more easily absorbed.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Whenever I am in the U.S., I buy organic shelled hempseed in bulk at the co-op store. I sprinkle it on salads (and pizza, and whatever)-- it has a mild, crunchy nutty flavour. I always knew it was nutritional, but only just recently looked it up and found out just how nutritional it is.

About its legality... as I understand it, it does not share the "special" qualities associated with its cousin, and is therefore not subject to relevant laws. It is apparently a huge crop product used for everything from textiles (as Hippie mentioned), plastics, food, fuel, and even fish bait.

Here is an article that explains it ALL...

Hemp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Here's Dr. Weil's article on hemp oil:

Therapeutic Hemp Oil, by Andrew Weil, M.D
                Go before that fire there, at the altar of your heart
                That fire of who you really are and be consumed by it fully
                Surrender everything into the fire of that love until you are one with that love. You ARE that love.
                Tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart

Comment

whatever happened to the sweet potato?
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                  AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

some of us may have used pot as an alternative way to relax and view it as part of our recovery. Others may view pot as a negative thing, another substance to abuse and contradictory to recovery. Personally I have found it useful.
                    I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

I think in the US you can buy it from Canada in Whole Foods maybe?
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

https://www.emersonecologics.com/Products/EmersonMain/PID-HEM14.aspx
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I accept with information:It eventually turned into a mushy, mouldy mess, and we went back to the tried and tested practice of smoking dried banana skins instead.
                          Courtier conseil financement immobilier achat | Demande credit simulation plan de financement immobilier | Calcul pret projet financement immobilier travaux

Comment

birslirage;776096 wrote: I accept with information:It eventually turned into a mushy, mouldy mess, and we went back to the tried and tested practice of smoking dried banana skins instead.
                            ^^ good point. Glad I joined this forum already
                            kites for sale|kite store

Comment

beatle;748315 wrote: Well, move over quinoa-- this is apparently the top superfood:

Hemp seed.

"No other single plant source has the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form, nor has the essential fatty acids in as perfect a ratio to meet human nutritional needs."

Of course, the importance of hemp seed nutrients to human health cannot be fully appreciated without some understanding of bio-chemistry. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide that.

But it tastes great sprinkled on salads, or anything else you might sprinkle seeds or cheese on.
                              Hello people, I have ascertained that hemp seed, despite its relationship to cannabis, is not regulated in most countries of the Western world (because it has no similar spiritual altering effects as cannabis). And as to the "mushy" accusations, I can assure you that sprinkled on salads, etc., it is crunchy, with a nutty flavour. (I suppose any substance could become "mushy" if subjected to the right conditions)

Comment

Working...
                              X