On Antibiotics in animal feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Doggy and I have been buying organic or local pasture raised (without anti-biotics or hormones) meats for several years now. I knew that antibiotics were prevalent in non-organic commercially produced meats, but didn't realize that 70% of the antibiotics used in the US are going into animal feed! This article speaks to the dangers.

Europe is way ahead of the US on this one, and also with hormone use in meats / dairy.

Is This the End of Antibiotics?

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Ok, I'll bite. When I worked at the vet clinic, we never recommended medicated feed. I don't believe in using that, it causes resistance in the animals and according to some research humans.....although I'm not sure I buy that yet.

But please understand it is necessary to use antibiotics in animals that are sick, it would be inhumane not to treat them. Some would argue that the whole method of raising beef is inhumane, but that is a whole nother topic.

Also something most people do not know is that there are more hormones (estrogen) in a single head of cabbage than in an implanted steer.

Of course it is your choice to eat organically, I'm not saying that is bad at all. But, there are disadvantages to that as well. One being that these animals have to be destroyed or suffer when they get sick.

I looked around for a little more info on antibiotics in feed and came up with this. Believe it or not, there are conscientious producers out there that follow all of the government rules and regulations, and the animals are tested at slaughter to make sure withdrawal guidelines have been followed and that there is no residue in the meat.

Antibiotics and meat don’t mix
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

We just got our two beef back from the processor .
      We're sharing with our kids but it is still a whole lot of beef.
      I wonder how long it will take me to forget how they looked !
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Aw Belle that would be hard but think about all the positives for you, your, children and grandchildren and the cows. Sorry I didn't read back, but assuming your raised them. Good for you!

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

We only had them here for about six months.
          I told hubby not to name them....so of course he did!
          They weighed about 1000 lbs each.

Comment

Sounds good without being "beefed" up.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

LVT25;970527 wrote: Ok, I'll bite. When I worked at the vet clinic, we never recommended medicated feed. I don't believe in using that, it causes resistance in the animals and according to some research humans.....although I'm not sure I buy that yet.

But please understand it is necessary to use antibiotics in animals that are sick, it would be inhumane not to treat them. Some would argue that the whole method of raising beef is inhumane, but that is a whole nother topic.

Also something most people do not know is that there are more hormones (estrogen) in a single head of cabbage than in an implanted steer.

Of course it is your choice to eat organically, I'm not saying that is bad at all. But, there are disadvantages to that as well. One being that these animals have to be destroyed or suffer when they get sick.

I looked around for a little more info on antibiotics in feed and came up with this. Believe it or not, there are conscientious producers out there that follow all of the government rules and regulations, and the animals are tested at slaughter to make sure withdrawal guidelines have been followed and that there is no residue in the meat.

Antibiotics and meat don’t mix
              Wow...do you have something to back up that claim? I eat a lot of vegetables, and I find this disturbing!

Comment

Here is a site that tells you what is on our food and in our meat.

What’s On My Food :: Pesticides on Beef Fat

Comment

LVT25;970527 wrote: Also something most people do not know is that there are more hormones (estrogen) in a single head of cabbage than in an implanted steer.

fennel;970935 wrote:
                  Wow...do you have something to back up that claim? I eat a lot of vegetables, and I find this disturbing!
                  I would also like to read more about this. To the best of my knowledge fruits and vegetables don't have hormones in them. Pesticides are used on non organic vegetables and residues may remain but growth hormones???
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Interesting. Seems logical to only treat the sick.

Yes, LV I am curious also about the cabbages.
                    AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

Sorry, I can't find the article about the different levels of estrogen in various foods on the Internet. It was something I read a long time ago at work, and it always stuck with me.
                      I don't mean to scare anyone, please continue to eat your veggies (Be sure to wash them!) what I did read this a.m. has nothing but great things to say about cabbage. I also think there would be less health risk with natural occurring hormones in our food vs synthetic.

I will continue my search for said article.

This is similar to the article I was talking about and says nothing about cabbage. I know I read this once upon a time, but certainly don't want to mislead or mis inform anyone! I truly believe fruits and veggies are totally good for us. As a cattle producer I am always concerned about misleading articles, etc. Of course eating organically is a choice and thankfully we live in a free world! Even though it's my bread and butter, I too have concerns about what is happening to our food supply.

Beef Cattle Production | Growth Hormones in Cattle
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Go vegan.

Comment

luCKy;971374 wrote: Go vegan.
                          I like eggs and dairy too much to go vegan. However, I truly believe that the more animal fat we ingest, the more likely we are to become ill. Countries in which less meats are consumed have much lower rates of cancer.

Comment

Working...
                          X