Eating patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating patterns

How seriously do you take healthy food and eating regular meals now that you are sober?

When I was drunk I'd eat haphazardly. The actual food I ate was high quality and healthy but my focus was on getting drunk so I'd drink first and then grab some food - if I was sober - enough - after I'd finished my wine. I'd often have just one meal a day.

I'm now learning that eating regularly has a really calming effect. I guess it is stabilizing the blood sugar.

Do you make sure to eat very regularly? I'm training myself to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's not something I'm used to!
    Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Eating patterns

it's a top priority in my household. i cook every meal in our house, and make sure there is always healthy stuff prepared in the fridge for snacks. one thing for sure, even at my worst, i always cooked healthy food for me and my family.

Comment

Eating patterns

Eating well is absolutely paramount to sustained healthy recovery. I think it makes the difference between a recovery that is joyous and one that is so-so. There are plenty of stories about alkies trading one addiction for another, especially caffeine and sugar and nicotine. When I stopped drinking, I had to get a hold of fluctuating sugar levels and a need to drink more and more coffee. Since I gave up caffeine, suga r and other stimulants OTC, I am much more able to manage cravings is and when they come. I also have cured a lifelong problem with overeating. The saying that you are what you eat is so true
      I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

Eating patterns

I eat so much better now that I'm not drinking. I also cook daily, always fresh veg and fruit involved. Haven't cut out coffee, but it is a small indulgence and would be slow to give it up. I do eat some sweet things now that I never ate when drinking but again not to any extreme. The weight fell off me in the last year, I have dropped about 45lbs and can honestly say I eat more now than I did then. I feel good, and yes I agree Saffy, always thought it was a load of crap but we are what we eat.
        Molly
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Eating patterns

sapphire1;1008468 wrote: Eating well is absolutely paramount to sustained healthy recovery. I think it makes the difference between a recovery that is joyous and one that is so-so. There are plenty of stories about alkies trading one addiction for another, especially caffeine and sugar and nicotine. When I stopped drinking, I had to get a hold of fluctuating sugar levels and a need to drink more and more coffee. Since I gave up caffeine, suga r and other stimulants OTC, I am much more able to manage cravings is and when they come. I also have cured a lifelong problem with overeating. The saying that you are what you eat is so true
          I gave up coffee recently too. (And sugar). Giving it up really helps.
          Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X