Acupuncture for addictions and insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey whoever decided to check this post out!

I am completely biased about this as I am studying to be an acupuncturist (!) but I completely and wholeheartedly believe that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can work wonders for most illnesses and ailments.

It is particularly effective for insomnia and can be effective for addictions. I see so many people (almost everyone) on these boards saying they have problems with insomnia. I also struggle with this and I have posted previously that I consider it to be a form of torture.

I urge you to try acupuncture and/or Chinese herbs for these issues if you haven't already. A TCM diagnosis will include a full intake where everything from your pain, sweating, emotions, bowel movements (no need to be embarrassed, your Dr won't be), senses, appetite, temperature etc are asked about.

I have had some phenomenal results with acupuncture. I have gone to a treatment feeling very depressed and left feeling 'together' again and hopeful. I have gone to treatments feeling ok in myself and ended up having a cathartic cry, releasing whatever tensions and stress I was holding in. I have fallen asleep during treatments. The list of positive experiences is very long just for me. Don't forget that TCM has been practiced for almost 3000 years on literally MILLIONS of people, so there is strong empirical evidence that it works.

I think most people (especially us lot on here) get used to feeling like crap most of the time and it makes me sad because it's NOT NORMAL. You don't have to suffer these things.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. For those of you wondering about/feeling put off by the needling aspect - the needles we use are very fine (around 1/25th the size of a hypodermic needle used to take blood or give injections). You may feel a nanosecond of discomfort when it is inserted but otherwise, acupuncture is a painless process. Sometimes you won't even feel them going in.

Please reply or PM me if you would like to know any further information about TCM. I will do my best to answer!

Also, another great product for stress and insomnia that was recommended to me by a naturopath is 'CalMag'. It comes in liquid form and you take 2 tablespoons before bed (or can take more if really stressed - it won't hurt to increase the amount). The first time I took it, I had been sleeping very badly but I fell asleep quickly and easily and woke up feeling refreshed for the first time in weeks.

Best wishes everyone. The more angles we can tackle the demon AL, the better.
    Bean

Thank you, Bean. I'm not sure why nobody has responded, but I'm guessing it's because you said everything in your post, so no real need to "reply".

I believe there are many forms and ways of being healed/healing ourselves, and most of them are outside of the realm of what the vast majority of the Western world believes (or has been brainwashed to believe) to be "legitimate" or "proven" methods of healing.

I am certain that TCM has incredible potential, and it seems the Western world has begun embracing it now, especially as regards acupuncture. Unfortunately, methods of healing that don't involve huge profits for the drug companies and the hospitals, are not recognized nor funded, and probably are being purposefully suppressed.

I have personally tried various forms of TCM, including acupuncture, which did sometimes put me to sleep, but did not help my addiction issues. However, I can attest to the fact that it is relaxing, and it did made me feel "better" in some ways. Unfortunately, I was drinking heavily at the time (even sometimes took an extra shot or two before I went under the needles uch, so I'm not sure I got much out of it, or was in a position to judge if I did.

However, one thing I will say about acupuncture and my personal experience is that the techniques employed by different acupuncturists vary widely, and some are literally painless, while others can be quite painful. (But most seem to be close to painless, as per your description.

I once went to a preeminent acupuncturist in the world (from China, of course). She was a leader in the field, and people lined up to be her "patients" and swore she "healed" them. I could only afford to go to her twice, and maybe I wouldn't have gone back even if I could have afforded it because it was rather painful. Of course, if it had "healed" me in any way that my constantly intoxicated self could have possibly perceived, I would have gone back and paid happily for the pain. But my brain and body were not functioning, and no matter what alternative therapies I sought out, the physical and psychic imbalances were too strong to allow me to heal.

I am hoping that baclofen will help balance my neurophysiology so that I can then turn back to TSM and other alternative ways of healing myself. I have high hopes for acupuncture in the future, both for myself, and for others.

There will be more and more need for people in the Western world who learn, master, and pass on the traditional healing of China and many other countries/cultures/civilizations.

In other words, you have a productive and fulfilling life ahead of you...
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I am thinking of trying acupuncture to help with cravings. Has anyone found it to be of lasting value?

:heart: E

Comment

Hi Eustacia

It's like anything...it can help but you still have to do the work. I.e if you wanted to lose weight, it could help but it can't make you thin or stop you putting the cake in your mouth!

One way that I believe acupuncture is particularly effective is that it balances you out emotionally and since we are all driven largely by our emotions, this can in turn reduce cravings etc because we when we feel balanced and 'in tune' we are less likely to give in to reckless impulses.

Hope you give it a go. I'd love to hear how you get on with it.
        Good Luck
        Bean

PS Thanks for the long reply Beatle!

Comment

Hi Eustacia,

I've just started on my AF journey after a boozing career lasting 35 years. I decided to try to get off naturally (no bac, topamax etc) first if possible. I did a lot of googling and found that "auricular acupuncture" was supposed to be good for addictions and withdrawal cravings.

I found a practitioner here in Australia and went AF about 2 weeks ago and started treatments. Had one minor slip during this time but I have to say cravings, what cravings? I still think about drinking during my traditional "happy hour" of early evening but there's no pressure behind the thoughts. I should add that my practitioner prescribed a milk thistle based liver repair tonic and St. John's Wort. I also take some of the supplements recommended by MWO.

I know it's early days yet and I can't say it's all down to the acupuncture but, whatever, something seems to be working.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
          X