Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety and Natural (Herbal) Treatments

Hi Everyone,
    Just curious as to what people may have tried with or without success to help with anxiety other than prescription medicine? Seems to be plenty of choices!
    Thanks,
    Maslow

magnesium works great for me!

Comment

–GABA (in morning, at least 1/2 hour before breakfast)

750mg (MWO sells -- or used to sell, it's been a while since I ordered a big batch) 750mg capsules, which is very convenient, as I have only found 200mg capsules elsewhere, and I don't want to take 4 more capsules in addition to the 8 capsule of different aminos + vit C +vit D)

-Taurine 500-1,000 mg/day on empty stomach (along with other aminos) -- calming and good for the liver, too

I take the GABA and amino acids together with
      –True Calm (also from MWO -- although you may be able to find something similar elsewhere; I have never tried).

I also wonder if omega 3 can be good for anxiety. It is being used for ADHS and to calm down hyperactive kids who can't concentrate.

There are many natural remedies for depression, many of which have been proven to be more effective (with far fewer side effects) than antidepressant medications (specifically SSRIs). It's possible they may also be effective for anxiety.

For example:

–lithium orotate (not lithium; LO is available OTC and has no known SEs -- does not need to be prescribed nor monitored by a doctor)

– DMAE (high doses can cause agitation, though)

– Tryptophan (or 5-HTP)

Maybe you could come with a list of the alternatives you have discovered and then ask if anyone has experience with any particular one of those?
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I take Seredyn. I order it online. Really works well for anxiety.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll be checking these out. Curious about lithium orotate-had not heard of that. Anyone tried valerian root? Mixed reviews, but cheap so I'm giving it a go (maybe placebo effect could occur at a minimum). Thanks again.

Comment

hi Maslow, I've tried valerian but it's very subtle if anything for me. I've had some very definite results with kava kava though. it's like taking valium if you get the dose right. truly effective. I'd caution against taking it before driving until you know how it affects you.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

I am in no way endorsing this company. in fact i've never ordered anything. just found it interesting

Kava Dosages
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

In desperation I tried Valium. It worked great for about 3 weeks. I didn't want a drink at all. After that I was just totally spaced out but didn't know it until someone told me, while I was driving. Scared the jeebers out of me. I know my drinking stems from anxiety.

Comment

High doses of valerian works to help insomnia in most people. It is pretty potent stuff (I think the name valium is related to valerian.) If sleeping is your problem, I would be surprised if valerian did not help. One note of caution, it is hard on the liver. If that is not of concern, then I would recommend it.

As for lithium orotate, I'm surprsed not more people know about it. It is part of the "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" protocol.

I suggest you google it and find out more. It is also supposed to be a memory enhancer, but I have unfortunately not experienced that effect :upset:

There seem to be varying prices for it on the internet. If you are interested, you can PM me and I will tell you which brands I think are best value.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Holy Basil

Hi All,

I also suffer from anxiety (panic attacks), which I believe stem from my AL addiction, and now that I am AF, I don't find them happening at all. I work in a health food store and am fortunate to be able to get free samples on most supplements I want to try. I never thought of taking something for my anxiety other than a squirt of Bach's Rescue Remedy, which is a flower essence remedy to alleviate anxiety in people (however I think the tincture is in an alcoholic base so I am not recommending it here...I think they make it in an AF version and I will double check at the store). It is our best selling formula for those suffering anxiety. They do make an AF version for pets.

Anyway, I have heard success with customers taking Holy Basil in capsule form. The bottle recommends one a day between meals to promote "Centered Calmness". I got some samples today and plan to try it out for a few weeks to see if I notice anything. It's reported that you can be on this for long term without it stopping working as is the case with some herbal supplements. I will keep you all posted and if anyone else has any experience with Holy Basil, I would be interested in your feedback. :thanks:
                    Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                    :h

Comment

BlondeAFAmbition;1042922 wrote: Hi All,

I also suffer from anxiety (panic attacks), which I believe stem from my AL addiction, and now that I am AF, I don't find them happening at all. I work in a health food store and am fortunate to be able to get free samples on most supplements I want to try. I never thought of taking something for my anxiety other than a squirt of Bach's Rescue Remedy, which is a flower essence remedy to alleviate anxiety in people (however I think the tincture is in an alcoholic base so I am not recommending it here...I think they make it in an AF version and I will double check at the store). It is our best selling formula for those suffering anxiety. They do make an AF version for pets.

Anyway, I have heard success with customers taking Holy Basil in capsule form. The bottle recommends one a day between meals to promote "Centered Calmness". I got some samples today and plan to try it out for a few weeks to see if I notice anything. It's reported that you can be on this for long term without it stopping working as is the case with some herbal supplements. I will keep you all posted and if anyone else has any experience with Holy Basil, I would be interested in your feedback. :thanks:
                      I drink Holy Basil tea daily. I have some capsules too. They are OK. It's quite subtle in effect and certainly doesn't knock you out in the way that Valerian or Valium can and do. HB is sort of gently soothing.
                      Sober since 2nd November 2010!

"Life is a mirror of your thoughts and beliefs. It simply reflects YOUR truth, your reality."sigpic

Comment

That's what I've heard. I am starting it today. I also drink Tulsi tea once in a while as a substitute for days when I've had enough coffee, and I believe that is from Holy Basil. It is a chai version of Tulsi, quite yummy! Thanks for your feedback, breaking the cycle...congrats on being AF since early November, that is wonderful! I've made it to day 10...glad to be in the double digits!
                        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                        :h

Comment

Someone else mentioned Seredyn, I take it occasionally & it works very well. You can still drive, do whatever you need to do. I take their other product Amoryn on a daily basis (2X/day) to keep the depression away (no side effects).
                          SEREDYN - Immediate Anxiety Relief - Natural Anxiety Remedy
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Reading this, I just remembered that I used a nasal spray years ago called symmetry (I think). It was homeopathic (again, I think) and I remember it being effective for panic attacks, but that was years ago, and I don't know if it even exists anymore. I think it had lithium orotate in it, and I am big believer in that.

Comment

I've notice L-Theanine takes the edge off for me.
                              2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X