Attn. Gardeners: Grafted Tomatoes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know where else to post this, but people talk seeds here, so . . .

Territorial Seed sent out their usual catalog. Then they sent a second catalog, which I thought was very strange. In the second one, they are offering grafted tomatoes. I've never heard of such a thing in tomatoes. Supposedly, so they say, it makes it much easier to grow the tasty heirlooms, like Brandywine and Black Trifele. I'd really like to grow an heirloom and actually get some fruit off the darn thing!

Anybody heard of this or had experience with grafted tomatoes?

Here's the website:

Grafted Tomato Plants

And, for the record, I am in no way affiliated with Territorial. Just a customer.

Tracy

sigpic

Hey Tracy, if you think it's strange, then it probably is. They should be forthright in the origin of their seeds. Are they hybridizing plants or genetically modifying them?

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Hey RC! It did sound strange - I'd never heard of grafting veggies! Grapes and roses, sure - but tomatoes? I called them today and they said that it's common practice in Europe and Asia, but a fairly new thing to the US. Territorial is not like Burpee or those guys. Their seeds are not genetically modified or engineered. I didn't ask about the seeds origin. Their trial grounds and research farm are organic, and their standards are quite high (from what I understand, don't know this first hand). They don't do the "latest, greatest" stuff the way Burpee does either.

Our climate can be a pain because it's very dry and gets stinkin' hot in the summer, which makes the heirlooms difficult to grow. Keeping the moisture level even is really difficult, and so I wind up with a lot of end rot and cracked toms (when I get any fruit at all). I ordered a couple plants and will post an update as to whether they did any better than the ungrafted heirlooms.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

ok..gonna try to hook you up with some people that may know and aren't afraid to say what they know.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Thanks, RC.

I found some more info from the NC Cooperative Extension Service:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~clrivard/TubeG...gTechnique.pdf

And here are the folks who actually put the plants together:

Log House Plants

It makes sense to me now. It reduces the need for pesticides, fertilizers, constant watering (at least where I am), and results in increased yield without having to use super-hybridized, "Monsanto" kinds of stuff. I'm excited.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Tracy I didn't get you the info, but looks like you've found your verification. Also, and you may have done this, but years ago when I was actively vegetable gardening we would work a little peat moss in every year to aerate the ground and aid moisture retention. We started on a gravel pit basically. By the time my garden was really starting to produce I didn't have time to tend it! Used to send the kids out to forage what they could so it wouldn't go to waste. Ironies....

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Hey RC, we really love squash (especially the winter stuff, butternut, spaghetti) but I don't want to plant it because the nasty, rotten, evil, spawn-of-satan squash bugs always get it first. There's no natural thing I can find to defeat them because they're big and they have that heavy armor. I've even thought of trying to find a gardener snake, but would hate to see it tangle with my dog. My dog would get the worst of it (7 pounds and all bark). I hate to keep the plants bathed in Sevin or the like. Any suggestions?

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Hey Tracy, I never had them, but if I did I would probably use diamotaceous earth. A local organic farmer uses it for plants and animals. Watch that you don't ingest it while sprinkling it though. I used it to eradicate mites causing severe mange on my dog a couple of years ago. Should be able to get it at your local co-op.

Squash Bug Control

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

LOL.The fossilized shells of one-celled organisms will defeat squash bugs. Who'd have thunk it!

I think I'll try the newspaper and boards thing too. Thanks RC!

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Yep, dead crustaceans to the rescue. lol There are hardier varieties too--butternut being one of them. Good luck! You'll have to send me one in October.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Working...
                    X