Cognitive therapy and depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battling with depression was definitely one of the main reasons why I developed a drinking problem. I just read a interesting piece on Cognitive therapy that I wish to share with you:

"...Modern cognitive therapy, developed by psychotherapists such as Dr Albert Ellis and Dr Aaron Beck, is based on the idea that our upsetting emotions and maladaptive behaviors are caused by distortions in thinking and irrational believs. The therapy focuses on helping the patient systematically identify, examine, and correct these distortions in thinking. The corrective thoughts, in a sense, become an antidote to the distorted thinking patterns that are the source of the patien's suffering.
    Ex:- a person is rejected by another and responds with excessive feelings of hurt. The cognitive therapist first helps the person identify the underlying irrational belief: for ex. I must be loved and approved of by almost every significant person in my life at all times, or if not it is hoorible and I'm unworthy. The therapist then presents the person with evidence that challenges this unrealistic believe....in depression..., cognitive therapists argue that it is one's negative self-defeating thoughts that underlying the depression..... In depression, thinking can become distorted by viewing events in all--or-nothing terms or overgeneralizing (e.g if you loose a job ..., you automatically think. I'm a total failure! or by selectively perceiving only certain events (e.g 3 good things and 2 bad things may happen in one day, but the depressed person ignores the good and only focus on the bad). So in treating the depression, the patient is encouraged to monitor the automatic arising of negative thoughts (e.g I'm completely worthless) and actively correct these distorted thoughts by gathering information nd evidence that contradict or disprove it (e.g I have worked hard to raise two children,, I have a talent for singing, I have been a good friend, etc). Investigators have proven that by replacing these distorted modes of thinking with accurate information, one can bring about change in one's feelings and improve one's mood." HOWARD C. CUTLER

Hope there are some of you that found this info helpful. I do.

Have a nice Sunday.

Best regards from out Africa!

I could have done with a ton of that when I was younger!
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Feeling Good

I have a book called Feeling Good - EXCELLENT. Wish I had it too, Coal, when I was a teen or twenty-something. It has alot to help you work through your issues. Here's some info. Amazon.com: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy Revised and Updated (9780380810338): David D. Burns: Books

Review

"A book to read and re-read!" -- Los Angeles Times

Product Description

The good news is that anxiety, guilt, pessimism, procrastination, low self-esteem, and other "black holes" of depression can be cured without drugs. In Feeling Good, eminent psychiatrist, David D. Burns, M.D., outlines the remarkable, scientifically proven techniques that will immediately lift your spirits and help you develop a positive outlook on life. Now, in this updated edition, Dr. Burns adds an All-New Consumer′s Guide To Anti-depressant Drugs as well as a new introduction to help answer your questions about the many options available for treating depression.
      - Recognise what causes your mood swings
      - Nip negative feelings in the bud
      - Deal with guilt
      - Handle hostility and criticism
      - Overcome addiction to love and approval
      - Build self-esteem
      - Feel good everyday

Comment

Beachbump;1085191 wrote: Battling with depression was definitely one of the main reasons why I developed a drinking problem. I just read a interesting piece on Cognitive therapy that I wish to share with you:

"...Modern cognitive therapy, developed by psychotherapists such as Dr Albert Ellis and Dr Aaron Beck, is based on the idea that our upsetting emotions and maladaptive behaviors are caused by distortions in thinking and irrational believs. The therapy focuses on helping the patient systematically identify, examine, and correct these distortions in thinking. The corrective thoughts, in a sense, become an antidote to the distorted thinking patterns that are the source of the patien's suffering.
        Ex:- a person is rejected by another and responds with excessive feelings of hurt. The cognitive therapist first helps the person identify the underlying irrational belief: for ex. I must be loved and approved of by almost every significant person in my life at all times, or if not it is hoorible and I'm unworthy. The therapist then presents the person with evidence that challenges this unrealistic believe....in depression..., cognitive therapists argue that it is one's negative self-defeating thoughts that underlying the depression..... In depression, thinking can become distorted by viewing events in all--or-nothing terms or overgeneralizing (e.g if you loose a job ..., you automatically think. I'm a total failure! or by selectively perceiving only certain events (e.g 3 good things and 2 bad things may happen in one day, but the depressed person ignores the good and only focus on the bad). So in treating the depression, the patient is encouraged to monitor the automatic arising of negative thoughts (e.g I'm completely worthless) and actively correct these distorted thoughts by gathering information nd evidence that contradict or disprove it (e.g I have worked hard to raise two children,, I have a talent for singing, I have been a good friend, etc). Investigators have proven that by replacing these distorted modes of thinking with accurate information, one can bring about change in one's feelings and improve one's mood." HOWARD C. CUTLER

Hope there are some of you that found this info helpful. I do.

Have a nice Sunday.

Best regards from out Africa!
        Yes I've come across CBT in counselling for a whole range of reasons. It's a great idea but I still struggle to change old habits, ie thought patterns which have become the norm.

Comment

:bump:
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Another good book is Feelings Buried Alive Never Die.
            I really think it helps work through past issues.
            Amy

Comment

i had cbt last year. although the reading material that the therapist gave me was fantastic and has helped me i struggled with the sessions. i dont think i was comfortable with the therapist and while i do believe in the 'theory' i think its very important to be with someone you feel comfortable with and can open up to. as my sessions were through the nhs i didnt have much choice in that.
              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

oh and thanks for the info about the books etc.
                Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                Keep passing the open windows

Comment

A friend and I both tried CBT for depression but we didn't make much progress, although yes the theory sounds plausible and medical sources keep on saying that this therapy is the most successful. We both found the therapist to be ultra technical about it, rather than spending time to talk on a personal level.

In my case I'd have to say that the depression was caused by social anxiety and the loneliness coming from that problem, and my mate is very similar. Therapy for this could have made more of a difference, and I'd assume CBT has a similar approach to social anxiety/shyness. This could be worth looking into.

Comment

Working...
                  X