L glutamine safety.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L glutamine safety.

Hi I tried l glutamine back many weeks ago. The first day I tried it I felt this weird anger/rage that evening. I tried it a few days later and the same thing happened. I became a little suspicious and stopped it. At the time I had just stopped drinking and I wasn't sure what was causing what emotion.
    Fast forward 3 months AF and I discovered it in the cupboard. I have just started a diet and I know it has a good reputation for evening out blood sugar. I decided to give it one last shot and yes you guessed it...severe anger/rage that evening. My supply has gone straight into the dustbin but I have checked back through the threads and I cannot find anything that describes this. The nearest thing I have found is that it can cause mania in people who are bipolar but I can't find anything that says exactly what I described.Anyway I just wanted to put it out there in case some day ,some where ,someone else wonders is it just them. When I was doing my research I found this interesting little article on l glutamine safety and I just thought I would post a link to this too. I don't want any newbie to be put off by this as half the forum swears by this stuff. I am a lone and slightly odd case. Whats new? L-Glutamine Safety
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

L glutamine safety.

Thanks for the info-I stopped taking l-glut 'cause it just did nothing for me...that article is scary.
    It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

L glutamine safety.

Thanks for this coalface,
      Interesting,

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

L glutamine safety.

Interesting article Coal, I have just started back taking l-glut after stopping bac last week and yesterday I felt so wound up and agitated I dont know whether this is connected or not but would be interested to see if anyone elses reactions are similar

Comment

L glutamine safety.

Yes it would be , I was taking l glut for a while and when I stopped I felt terrible, dont know whether its the l glut or some bug I picked up on my travels, anybody throw some light on this.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

L glutamine safety.

spacebebe01;1105267 wrote: Interesting article Coal, I have just started back taking l-glut after stopping bac last week and yesterday I felt so wound up and agitated I dont know whether this is connected or not but would be interested to see if anyone elses reactions are similar
            Spacebebe

I'd put this primarly down to losing the Baclofen, baclofen does relax and chill you out so it's logical that when you stop you are likely to feel wound up!

I have taken L-Glut in various doses over the years, sometimes for sports performance and other times to help with AL cravings. Not noticed a difference myself. Have to remember that anger and cravings can often be linked.

Comment

L glutamine safety.

I tried the L-Glut several years ago, but it made me feel strange. I found out it doesn't work well if you take an anti-depressant, which I do. JMHO.
              Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

L glutamine safety.

coalfire;1102077 wrote: Hi I tried l glutamine back many weeks ago. The first day I tried it I felt this weird anger/rage that evening. I tried it a few days later and the same thing happened. I became a little suspicious and stopped it. At the time I had just stopped drinking and I wasn't sure what was causing what emotion.
                Fast forward 3 months AF and I discovered it in the cupboard. I have just started a diet and I know it has a good reputation for evening out blood sugar. I decided to give it one last shot and yes you guessed it...severe anger/rage that evening. My supply has gone straight into the dustbin but I have checked back through the threads and I cannot find anything that describes this. The nearest thing I have found is that it can cause mania in people who are bipolar but I can't find anything that says exactly what I described.Anyway I just wanted to put it out there in case some day ,some where ,someone else wonders is it just them. When I was doing my research I found this interesting little article on l glutamine safety and I just thought I would post a link to this too. I don't want any newbie to be put off by this as half the forum swears by this stuff. I am a lone and slightly odd case. Whats new? L-Glutamine Safety
                I suspect it increases the blood pressure quite a bit. I have felt bit tense after taking it.

Comment

L glutamine safety.

I found this thread while looking for info on long term use of l-glut. Fact is...I've had fantastic, astonishing results with it along with GabaCalm. I've been taking up to 2500mg of glut a day and reduced my anxiety level to an all time low. However...I became a little complacent after 3 weeks of no alcohol cravings and slacked off the l-glut and wham...couldnt control an urge to drink. This happened twice. So back on the l-glut religiously.

My question does anyone know of any physiological side effects to long term use? Or is it just benign:thanks::h

Comment

L glutamine safety.

Hi to All,

I agree with eastcoastgirl!
                    L-Glutamine is wonderful. I started taking L-glut 19 days ago. Today is my 18th day AL free.

I take 3 x 2000 mg L-glute with 3 x 3000 mg vitamin C and 3 x 250 mg B1 vitamin.
                    Alcohol craving is gone!
                    It is awesome.

check out this article:

DoctorYourself.com - Alcoholism

cheers,

Brian

Comment

L glutamine safety.

I am so glad you have brought this subject up. I am on day 7 after taking L-Glut for the first time. I have not had one craving - amazed!
                      BUT although I have not had any anger issues, I have noticed a few family members asking me if I am ok as they say I am not my usual self. I have felt a bit doped, or tired. Some say there are no side effects, but I have done AF before and felt better during the day but still had cravings, so I am willing to persevere with L-Glut as I 'know' it is good for the cravings.
                      Everything works differently for each individual but I think we all need to be vigilant....
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

L glutamine safety.

I was going to stay out of this but I have read lots of articles by a Dr Blaylock on L-GLut and he thinks the ONLY time you should use this is if you are an athlete or recovering from some digestive tract issues. He writes that it is an excitotoxin and dangerous for long term treatments so if you are using it try and make it a short term thing. So please check into this for yourselves and stay safe.

Interview with Dr. Russell Blaylock on devastating health effects of MSG, aspartame and excitotoxins

Comment

L glutamine safety.

Summary is - use L-glut only short term and only if you don't have these issues

Thanks Quit, VERY helpful info. I cross checked Blaylock with Mercola and found this from Mercola's website.

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

Glutamine is an amino acid that makes up the majority of our skeletal muscle. There is some controversy over whether oral glutamine supplementation is toxic or helpful to healthy people. In a past article, Dr. Robert Crayhon expressed the view of many natural medicine experts, "After reviewing the literature, I am unconvinced that high-dose oral glutamine supplementation is toxic to neurons in healthy persons."
                          However, Dr. Russell Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon and author of the highly recommended Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills wrote in to me with another viewpoint and his response is below.
                          By Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.
                          Advanced Nutritional Concepts, LLC.
                          Dr. Robert Crayhon posted comments on this site indicating that I was terribly mistaken in my caution concerning the use of glutamine and that he had consulted several "cell biologists" who were also concerned with my statements on glutamine safety. In fact it was stated that I apparently did not understand that glutamine was not an excitotoxin and was not converted into an excitotoxin.
                          Of course, I never stated glutamine was an excitotoxin, but I do state that it is converted into the excitotoxin glutamate within neurons. Numerous recent studies as well as Siegel?s Basic Neurochemistry textbook emphatically state that the major source of glutamate is from glutamine in the brain. Normally, when the brain finishes using glutamate for chemical communication between brain cells at the synapse the glutamate is taken up by surrounding glial cells and changed by the enzyme glutamine synthease into glutamine, where it is stored.
                          The Problem With Excitotoxins

The glutamine is then transported to the neuron and by the enzyme glutaminase, it is converted to glutamate--the potential excitotoxin. I say potential because unless it accumulates outside the brain cell it is harmless.
                          This is the major source of glutamate within the brain. Excitotoxins are usually amino acids, such as glutamate and aspartate. These special amino acids cause particular brain cells to become excessively excited, to the point they will quickly die. Excitotoxins can also cause a loss of brain synapses and connecting fibers. Food-borne excitotoxins include such additives as MSG, aspartame, hydrolyzed protein and soy protein extract.
                          In two recent studies it was found that the amount of glutamine in the brain could predict the brain damage seen both in pediatric brain injuries and brain damage secondary to seizures. Adding large amounts of glutamine to the diet increases significantly brain levels of glutamine and, hence, glutamate. Another study found that by adding glutamine to the diet of animals exposed to another powerful excitotoxin called quinolinic acid, brain cell damage was increased significantly. Quinolinic acid is known to accumulate in the brain in most cases of viral brain infection as seen with HIV dementia and viral encephalitis.
                          Glutamine and Liver Toxicity

Individuals with liver toxicity tend to accumulate ammonia in their blood and brain. Until recently, it was assumed that it was the ammonia that caused liver disease-associated brain injury and that glutamine was protective.
                          Newer studies indicate that actually it is the glutamine that is causing the brain?s injury. Increasing glutamine in the diet would significantly aggravate this damage.
                          Free Radicals in the Brain

Glutamine accumulation has also been found in Alzheimer?s disease, Huntington?s disease and high levels of brain glutamine have been associated with a worse prognosis in Lou Gehrig?s disease. Likewise, recent studies have shown that high brain glutamine levels increase brain levels of free radicals and impair the ability of brain mitochondria to produce energy. When the brain produces low energy, excitotoxins, such as glutamate, become even more toxic. It has been shown that the reason for glutamine toxicity under these conditions is because it is converted to the excitotoxin--glutamate.
                          Glutamine and Multiple Sclerosis

Of particular concern is the finding that people with multiple sclerosis have increased levels of the enzyme glutaminase (the enzyme that converts glutamine into glutamate) in areas of nerve fiber damage. High levels of glutamine in the diet would increase glutamate levels near these injured areas magnifying the damage. It has been shown that excitotoxicity plays a major role in multiple sclerosis by destroying the cells (oligodendrocytes) that produce myelin.
                          Glutamine and Pregnant Women

Another area of concern would be pregnant women. Glutamine passes through the placenta and may actually be concentrated in the baby?s blood, producing very high levels. Glutamate plays a major role in the development of the baby?s brain. Excess glutamate has been shown to cause significant impairment of brain development in babies and can lead to mental retardation.
                          When to Use Glutamine

The major use for high-dose glutamine would be to repair gastrointestinal injury. In such cases, I would recommend short-term use only. Those with a history of the following conditions should avoid glutamine, even for short-term use:
                          • Stroke
                          • Neurodegenerative disease
                          • Pregnancy
                          • Malignancy
                          • Recent vaccinationsADHDHypoglycemiaAutismMultiple sclerosisOther neurological disorders
                          Glutamine has recently been shown to produce extreme hypoglycemia, even more so than leucine, which is known to produce fatal hypoglycemia in infants.
                          The reason Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is not seen with glutamine challenge is that the glutamate receptors in the lungs and esophagus are stimulated by glutamate, not glutamine. The glutamine must be converted first and this occurs primarily in the brain.
                          The only safe situation for glutamine use is in the vigorous athlete. Glutamine is used as a muscle fuel, so that vigorous exercise will consume most of the glutamine before it can accumulate in the brain. I would still avoid long-term use in high doses. I would caution readers to avoid excess glutamine, especially in the above named conditions and situations.

Related Links:

Lowering Blood Sugar Raises Glutathione and Vitamin E Levels

p://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/02/28/cancer-supplements.aspx">Nutritional Supplementation For Cancer, Part 1

Nutritional Intervention in Down Syndrome

Infant Formulas Deficient in Important Amino Acids Like Taurine

Comment

L glutamine safety.

wanttobesober;1156855 wrote: I agree with eastcoastgirl!
                            L-Glutamine is wonderful. I started taking L-glut 19 days ago. Today is my 18th day AL free.

I take 3 x 2000 mg L-glute with 3 x 3000 mg vitamin C and 3 x 250 mg B1 vitamin.
                            Alcohol craving is gone!
                            It is awesome.

check out this article:

cheers,

Brian
                            I read that article before, gave it a try, and my results were amazing! I also added a B-complex as well as magnesium, omega 3, and zinc. I made AF day 6 first try!
                            One of my problems..... not taking the vitamins on the weekend and well....you know the rest...
                            http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

L glutamine safety.

wanttobesober;1156855 wrote: I agree with eastcoastgirl!

Alcohol craving is gone!
                              It is awesome.

check out this article:

cheers,

Brian
                              Gotta Love DoctorYourself
                              OrthoMolecular Medicine is great! Andrew Saul, gotta like him. No nonsense kind of guy.
                              ?Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.?
                              ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X