L-Glutamine - Brand differences?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here it is!! The thread you've all been waiting for!!! Yes...it's another L-Glutamine thread!! :egad:

I'm wondering if other people have noticed differences between brands. I was taking NOW capsules and was still battling very intense sugar cravings. In the last week I switched to Source Naturals powder form, and the cravings seem to be vastly reduced and I've now been sugar free again for a number of days. Easily.

I've always heard powder is better for immediate relief, but I'm taking L-Glut throughout the day in smaller doses. Does powder really make THAT much difference over capsules? Or do you think it's the brand?

I'm wondering what other people have experienced on two fronts:

1) What differences in efficacy did you notice between powder and capsules (not cost factors).

2) What differences did you notice between brands, and which brands do you like the best?

Thanks,

DG

Edit: I haven't had an AL craving in a long time now. When I first quit drinking, I resisted the urge to replace AL with sugar - I followed the guidelines in the My Way Out book. I let sugar creep into my picture in the last 18 months or so. For me, sugar cravings can be just as intense as the AL cravings used to be.
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Hi DG,
    Does a pint of Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia every night count as a sugar craving?
    How much L-Glut are taking?
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

After eating most of a bag of Reese's minis the other day, I guess I better drag mine out. I have some by Thompson. I don't remember why I picked that brand. And that's all I ever took so I don't have any comparison. I thought they worked pretty well. They are 500 mg. caps and I took 3 three times a day.... I think.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

IMHO--powder will definitely net you better absorption--as you are more likely to take a therapeutic dose and there is no cap to break down--so you get immediate absorption--that is just the way our digestive systems work--immediate absorption takes place under the tongue and in the stomach if in liquid form. Even better--find a micronized l-glutamine as it is broken into a smaller partical for enhanced absorption.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Zenstyle;1113239 wrote: Oooo.... an L-Glut discussion *claps hands with glee* :H

I use the NSI brand from Vitacost...
          I was checking out the NSI brand when ordering yesterday. I ended up ordering more Source Naturals since it really seems to be working for me in the powdered form.

greeneyes;1113263 wrote: After eating most of a bag of Reese's minis the other day, I guess I better drag mine out.
          You have awesome taste in sugarcarbies.

Ringing Cedars;1113266 wrote:
          Even better--find a micronized l-glutamine as it is broken into a smaller partical for enhanced absorption.
          I have no idea what a "micronized l-glutamine" is. Very interesting as it seems absorption makes a huge difference, at least for me. Can you give an example or link to a brand so I can learn more about it?

Today was really off in terms of my meals and supplements as I had blood drawn this morning in a fasted state. So... I ended up not taking my afternoon dose of powdered L-Glute and I sure felt the sugarcarby cravings by late afternoon. There is definitely something to this.

Thanks for the continued input!!!

Running off to google micronized l-glutamine....

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

What did you find? I'm limited for searching and loading pages now--sorry DG.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Ringing Cedars;1113302 wrote: What did you find? I'm limited for searching and loading pages now--sorry DG.
              Sorry I didn't see your post til just now! I got more Source Naturals powdered but also ordered this from Amazon: Amazon.com: AST Sports Science GL3 Micronized L-Glutamine , 42.33 oz (1200 g): Health & Personal Care It hasn't arrived yet so I will have to report back later.

I definitely think the Source Naturals powder is working much better for me than the NOW capsules were, even in equivalent doses - about 6 - 8 grams per day. I have had far fewer sugar cravings. My only bad day of late was the day where I had the blood work in a fasted state. It really messes me up to miss breakfast.

One day at a time, sugar free!

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

I order same brand, same place as Zen. I just take way more than anyone else:whee: !!!! I can have a pint if Ben and Jerry's or a bar of the world's best dark chocolate wrapped around a tiny bit of caramel with just a touch of sea salt sitting around for weeks at a time. Just a bite is enough. I :h l-glute.
                "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Red I've upped my QTY quite a bit based on your suggestion. Who knows how high I will go! Moderation of Ben and Jerry's would be a miracle. That is all.

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

As you all know, I have been singing the virtues of l-glut for years (yes, I am a true veteran).

I believe the powder form is far superior to the capsules. Into your system faster, and not clutterig you stomach with all that gelatin and other stuff they use to hold it together. PLUS you have to take heaps (not just handfuls, but HEAPS) of those l-glut capsules to get the recommended 18-20grams/day. And you can use the l-glut dissolved in water to drink down all the other aminos that you should be getting, like like Taurine (1,000mg), freeform amino blends, NAC (1,200mg), and something else, I forget what it is -- has to do with memory, and obviously I haven't been taking it lately.

All aminos should be taken with Bs and Cs (helps absorption, I think), and between meals, which is hard for me, as there is no between meals for me. One sort of melts into the other. I'm more a gazer than a chow-downer

As for brands, Source Naturals seems like a good choice. I haven't noticed much of a difference in brands, but the Source Naturals gets good customer reviews on Amazon.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Maybe 6 of one and half a dozen of another Beatle---micronized means less is needed--like 10 to 15 grams. Cost effective is a consideration and efficacy. Would like to know which amino you relate to cognitive function? I've been at a loss all afternoon.....

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

well, I clean forgot... left it behind in my last location.:H

I can, however, recommend Phosphatidyl Serine (was that the name?) for help in focussing and mental acuity. I'm sure it would be working for me now if I hadn't forgotten to take it with me a few weeks ago.

Hope this helps. And hope I get my memory back soon
                        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi all. Just checking back in to say that I am loving the way the powdered L-Glut is working. The sugar cravings I've been battling of late (my own fault for allowing sugar back in...) were level 10.5 on a scale of 1 - 10, it seemed. I'm currently taking 2 - 4G of Source Naturals early AM and one other time during the day, and 5 grams of G3 (micronized - thanks Ringing Cedars) before and again after working out.

Sugar cravings are at level 1, if that. Totally sugar free 9 days now. So far, very comfortably so.

YEAH!!!!

I appreciate all the good input here.

DG
                          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi
                            This may seem like a silly question but how does the L-Glut work with regards to AL ?
                            I get the whole sugar craving as Al is full of it, but when I asked about the L-Glut powder in my health shop the assistant told me it was for body builders and to improve muscle or something? and is the powder better than the tablets as I have been taking the tablets and still want sugar.
                            Any help on this would be appreciated as I crave anything sweet since giving up AL.

Comment

finally bought some and boy am I surprised. It seems to work much better for me than Kudzu and Thistle. Love it so far 2 days AF love it love it.......

Comment

Working...
                              X