Tryptophan -- good explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the beginning of an article I found that is one of the best explanations of what/how L-tryp does/works.

(The rest can be found at: Tryptophan / 5 HTP)

An essential amino acid, tryptophan is the least abundant amino acid found in foods. It is used by the brain to produce serotonin; it is a natural relaxer, helps alleviate insomnia, reduces anxiety and depression and helps treat migraine headaches. 

The richest dietary sources include fish, meat, dairy, eggs, nuts and wheat germ, but tryptophan tends to be deficient in most dietary proteins.

High corn diets have been associated with outright deficiency symptoms. The RDA for tryptophan is 0.2gm per day, while the average daily intake is 1-1.5gm per day.
    The therapeutic range is up to 4gm per day, and medical supervision of treatment can be helpful.

Tryptophan is often given with vitamin B6 and magnesium away from meals with a small amount of carbohydrate to facilitate uptake by the brain. To aid in sleep, much of the dose is given before going to bed. If more of a daytime action is being sought, the bulk can be given in the morning.

Tryptophan is metabolized into niacin, melatonin and serotonin and has relaxing and calming effects.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Should we post questions here, or in the holistic area? In terms of the insomnia, is it okay to mix a cocktail of valerian root, melatonin, and l-tryptophan? Or not? Or should one just lump and accept it, especially if somnolence is becoming less of an issue?

Comment

I just recently read that people with lactose intolerance and fructose malabsorption have lower levels of tryptophan. For the last couple of weeks I have been trying to not eat any dairy or fructose, in result I have found my drinking to have decreased on the days I go without any fructose.

By 7 pm I am tired and thinking of sleep. Usually at that time of night I am heading off to the liquor store to stock up for the evening. Instead of having over a bottle of wine, I am stopping at one glass because I am so tired. My anxiety has decreased tons, and I don't feel as depressed, I am actually thinking about going to the gym today. I am sleeping through the night and getting up at a normal time, typically I wake up in the middle of the night for hours and then can't get up in morning.

On the two nights that I had fructose (unknowingly very high amounts in a sublingual B12 tablet I was taking), within half an hour I was thinking about drinking and subsequently drank too much and felt like shit the next morning.

I don't know how long this effect will last, but for someone who has not had proper sleep in over 14 years due to my alcohol consumption I am grateful for any relief. Last night I had a glass of wine and then went to bed for 11 hours sleeping straight through. Dry white wine has virtually no fructose, beer and other liquors probably do.

Figuring out what has fructose is very confusing, different sites will say different things. I already know for sure without test that I am dairy intolerant but I may get tested for fructose malabsorption in the future.

Anyways, not eating a lot of refined wheat and watching my sugar has too be a good thing. Sure hope it continues to help with the drinking.

Comment

I've heard wonderful things about 5HTP and bought some. I feel physically sick after about 30 minutes and re-tried many times with the same result even vomiting. Anybody else have this?
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

@suneelca
          I've done that mix before. No problems at all. It used to work for me but I need heavier stuff these days as I am on the baclofen regimen. I don't see it being a problem but watch the valerian. If you use a lot it can really zonk you well at least back in the day it did for me but I was drinking too.

Comment

SKendall;1318669 wrote: I've heard wonderful things about 5HTP and bought some. I feel physically sick after about 30 minutes and re-tried many times with the same result even vomiting. Anybody else have this?
            Hi there - I tried 5HTP too and it made me feel quite ill. Just wobbly and almost stoned - a feeling I do not like - I would never take it again......... I hated how it made me feel
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

I tried it and it really did not do anything for me but results may vary...

Comment

According to this site 5-HTP should be taken with food due to the side effect of nausea.

I tried it once and did not get any effect, good or bad, but I really didn't give it much chance nor did i play around with the dose at all. I plan to try Tryptophan for the first time - just ordered it today. I will try to report back with any results.
                AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Tryptophan does work but it kind of depends what you are looking for. It's effects are mild in my opinion but everyone is different

Comment

I just realized I never posted an update on my tryptophan experiment.

I've been taking it for about a month; I take it at night with inositol and something sweet (like OJ), and I try not to have any protein at the same time (so the other amino acids are not competing for uptake). I can't say i've seen any appreciable benefit with regards to depression, though it's been helpful for putting me to sleep. I'm guessing that means at least some of it is being converted to melatonin rather than serotonin. I don't know if there's any way to steer it more towards serotonin production. I will continue to take it, and may experiment more with dose and schedule.

Hope this may help someone else, and I'd be grateful to hear of others' experiences.
                    AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

I don't need anything that makes me any sleepier during the day. Seems like the only real help is big pharma. I might look into Wellbutrin. Whenever I go back to my doctor, lol.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Be careful on the Wellbutrin. Glaxo just got sued for $3 B for pushing it for other uses than what it was designed for.
                        It was not tested for a lot of things people are pushing it for now.

Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                        X