Adrenaline and Alcohol - Seeking Your Collective Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As quite a young person I got a job in a bar and was encouraged to drink ?my mistakes? meaning any kind of mis-pour. I noticed that alcohol was kind of like ?petrol?. I was on a very low wage and never had much to eat. I used those mistakes to keep me going through my shifts.

Alcohol gave me a real shot of power and I?ve never understood why. Caffine was kind of the opposite ? first shot yes, after that I?d slow right down.

Click to many years later and I?ve got blood sugar and insulin resistance issues. All my other tests come back as fine - liver, cholesterol, etc are fully functional. My only big warning sign is my blood sugar levels.

I am fine with quitting (I?m quite an expert now) but can?t stay quit. My problem is when I?m hit with a serious ?low energy? situation where I need to perform..... which is ALL THE TIME! (I?m on full-time duty both at home and at work, 3 kids between 12-20 with no family to help etc for last 10 years or so).

Breaking point is where I?m needing that energy. Each time I?m living AF and wonderful and happy.. then something hits me.. like disaster flu or whatever. I?m turning to AL to power through it. It works every time for me. But of course.. not my original intention! Then it?s sooooo hard to start again.

I?m a weird case.. not a person who gets sleepy on a glass of wine.. I get totally REVVED UP! Why the heck is that?

I dunno...it does the same thing to me.....
    for a little while, any way
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Alc is well known to be an odd type of drug as far as the effects it has.
      It is considered a depressant.
      However, it starts off like an energy boost with some folks. It actually works as a stimulant in many people at first. I think that has a lot to do with the fact it lessens inhibitions. I used to use it to get my day going when I was dragging.

Eventually the depressant part always catches up.

Comment

Same here, I did my most thorough house cleaning while drinking a bottle of wine. Now in my early days of sobriety all I want to do is lay around on the couch, but I know it will pass.
        new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

good to know....I always thought I was a weirdo

Comment

You may still be a weirdo, MB.:H However, it gives me energy too. Especially at first. Sometimes when I was dragging in the evening after work and only wanted to sleep, which is what I should've done, I would have a drink, then another and the energy would kick in. Seems like I read that was a symptom of something...where AL gives you energy instead of making you sleepy.

Beer tends to make me sleepy, unless I am with a group of people (and there's nothing else to drink, lol). Liquor and wine tend to give me energy.

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
            Sylvia Plath

Comment

I think I AM a weirdo LG....good point!
              I think maybe we get a buzz off the sugar??

Comment

maybe this is it

Like all of us I am searching searching.

Read this Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia - Why Alcoholics Drink?
                " I'm not trying to counsel any of you to do anything really special, except to dare to think and to dare to go with the truth and to dare to love completely." -R. Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Wow, thank you Willowfrond for an excellent and informative article.. and links to more and more!
                  In my 20s I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia but had no idea it's the same thing I'm diagnosed with today as insulin resistance!
                  I'll be reading up on this tonight for sure.

Comment

Hi! I have found something that helps immensely with the low blood sugar alcohol cravings. Fruit smoothies WITH PROTEIN POWDER*. Every morning I make up a blender full, so there is no waiting when I feel the URGE. Its very easy, I use a variety of fruit juices to keep from getting bored.

1 tray full of ice.
                    2 cups fruit juice
                    1 cup of almond milk
                    1 frozen banana
                    2 scoops of protein powder (I get vanilla Whey Protein, it comes in huge jars at Walmart)
                    blend until smooth.

I pour into 2 large double wall tumblers with covers and refrigerate. Completely recharges my energy and takes away the craving. Good luck!

*The protein powder is the most important element, because just straight fruit juice or soda pop will give you a sugar crash in about 20 minutes.

Comment

Thanks Lagatolaca,
                      I'll definitely add that to my aresenal and send to friends!

Comment

thanks...good to know!!

Comment

Working...
                        X