Inositol powder, anyone using this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have heard this come up a couple times on a consumer radio show that covers most everything.

Anyway, the claim is that Inositol powder under the tongue or in tea when you get a craving can greatly help. It's just a sugar but supposedly in interacts with that alcohol craving.

It is supposed to have other health benefits but I just started looking into it.

Anyone have feedback on this?

I see it's part of the B vitamins complex like Niacin, so not sure. They were talking like it was a sugar on the radio show.

im surprised no one responded to this thread ive heard inositol mentioned a few times,i recently started 500 mlg tablets seems to make me a little more focused,im gonna bumb it up to 1000 in a few days.Id like to hear if its helping anyone
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Well it seems to give me an added boost to my loss of cravings from the baclofen. I mean I did hit my switch but there are still times. The inositol seems to boost it but it could be just me.

It's supposed to be good for liver repair also which is a nice benefit.

I actually heard about it on a consumer radio show. This guy tries to help out everyone including people with addictions. Someone turned him onto this about putting the powder under your tongue if you get the urge. I have no idea but I've added it to my Glutamine drink. Not sure the glutamine really helps me.

Comment

i have recently added inisotol on the advice of Cantoo and instead of the GABA i was using. it seems to work well, but beware it gives you the shits! :H

Comment

Yikes, thankfully have not had that issue. It mixes well with glutamine since that is salty and the inositol reminds me of powdered sugar.

Comment

KY - really? Did you up a Magnesium supp?

It helps me with my mood and I do notice a difference if I miss. I also try to get my supplements in a powder form as much as possible (micronized is even better).

CT
            AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

Cantoo and Kuya, is this one of the supps used for depression instead of SSRIs?

Cat
              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Cat - Yes BUT I have been on anti-depressants in the past and I am not in that space right now.

If you've been prescribed one you should follow your DRs recommendation. Especially if you need some help stabilizing.

Either way you still need to develop coping skills... I exercise and get at least 7 hours sleep a night. :jumpin:

CT

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

Comment

Nope Cantoo was def the inisotol .....is mentioned as a side effect ! :H

Cat .... Once you have the Larsen book you will better be able to decide what you need.

Comment

Thanks, I will get the Larsen book.

I've had depression since my teenage years, coinciding with onset of bulimia.

I've been on antidepressants for 15 years, on and off. I exercise, get 7-8 hours of sleep each night, do yoga, drink calming teas, take calm forte, etc. I use deep breathing and meditation.

I'm doing everything I can think of on coping - I thought giving up AL would be the final key step. Also, I eat protein at every meal and limit sugar. In two months, I've lost 16 lbs as I made sure I limited sugar. SO, got to be supplements and more specific dietary strategies, I think. Or just stay on antidepressants. I'm exploring. Without question, it will be under a doctor's guidance. Not messin with my nogging.

Thanks for your help.

Cat
                    "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

:-) in that case Cat. The supp's have done wonders for me and I highly recommend them. I am on AF day 126 and feeling stronger both physically and emotionally.

The DR's solution is pills. They just keep prescribing pills. I've done enough thank you very much. Now with that said, there are times when they are most definitely needed in order to function. I just wanted to make sure you had gone that route.

Comment

Catbuddy;1418188 wrote: Cantoo and Kuya, is this one of the supps used for depression instead of SSRIs?

Cat
                        Hi Cat. I was just doing a little online reading about tryptophan. When I went on anti-depressants, I knew about tryptophan, but it was not available over the counter. This is one of the supplements I am considering now to see if it helps. I haven't received my book yet, but I thought this might interest you. It mentions inositol as well.

"The B vitamin, INOSITOL changes into a substance that regulates serotonin's effectiveness within nerve cells. A recent double blind study confirms inositol's effectiveness with depression. Inositol powder is sweet and good tasting. One and 1/2 teaspoonful three times daily is the researched dosage. American Journal of Psychiatry, 1995"

Read the whole link when you get a chance.

Pharmaceutical Grade: L-Tryptophan

The information about 5-HT or 5-HTP is interesting. This is why I don't like to take things in isolation or without research. The nutrition world has become a money making machine and requires a Caveat Emptor approach, imo.
                        Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Thanks Slay, nice info.

Comment

If you try the tryptophan, make sure you don't take it with protein, and take it on an empty stomach - otherwise the other amino acids will compete for uptake.

I tried tryptophan and inositol together for my depression a few months ago - unfortunately it did not help me, but we're all different.

The Larsen book is good at suggesting different supplements depending on what your symptoms are. I'm still trying different things, taking the methodical approach so as to not confuse the issue, but it takes time and that is a little frustrating. Good luck to everyone.
                            AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

hm, thanks for the info. sounds interesting and worth trying. i see in holland i can buy inositol in a b-complex pills (from a shop i trust) or in pure form, where they mention "choline-inositol" and pure inositol.
                              i read that choline is also a vitamin in the b-spectrum.
                              as i read here you find that powder is better, i think i'm gonna buy try of that choline-inositol.

Comment

Working...
                              X