Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol Withdrawal? Is it really that serious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:new: Hi, I'm new here. In the past year, I've averaged about a bottle of wine a day- give or take with a few single days of abstinence in between. After finally admitting I might have a problem, I have gone cold turkey.

I've been doing some research on-line about Alcohol Withdrawal symptoms and potential brain damage. It has been 45 hours since my last drink and I haven't exhibited anything too extreme - I have a slight headache and I am only slightly jittery.

Here is a quote about what may happen after 48 hours:
    "A more serious syndrome, delirium tremens (DTs), involves profound confusion, hallucinations, and severe autonomic nervous system overactivity, typically beginning between 48 and 96 hours after the last drink (Victor 1983). Estimates vary on the incidence of serious consequences of alcohol withdrawal. Regardless of actual incidence, recent evidence suggests that it may be important to treat everyone who is suffering from alcohol withdrawal. "

It goes on to say that at this stage - there can be some brain damage if not treated medically. Anyway, I did not consult a doctor and I do not know how chemicaly dependent I might be on alcohol, but I'm scared that this cessation without consulting a doctor might cause brain-damage.

So - for any experienced person out there--- should I consult a doctor before going cold turkey like this?!?!?

Thanks!:new:

I personally would say ..no.. you are fine for now. The French drink at least a bottle a day as the norm.

Comment

I agree with Chrysa--I don't think you will have a problem at this point. Generally, serious withdrawals symptoms are the result of stopping after many years of really excessive drinking.

That said, though, a bottle of wine/day is certainly more than the recommended healthy amount and you obviously realize this so congratulations on taking the steps to address your problem now--and welcome to MWO!

Good luck--and keep posting and reading...we are here to support you--and we need your inspiration!

:welcome:
      "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Hi SandraW and a warm welcome.

Please don`t worry........you will be fine now. I had been drinking a nightly btl. of wine for a long time and stopped without any medical intervention with no problems at all. Like myself, you were obviously not physically dependant (when it is dangerous to detox on one`s own without meds).

Welcome aboard........have been successfully moderating this past month, though has been trying at times.

There is so much help in all forms available to you through M.W.O.........you will just have to decide which suit your needs.

I wish you much love and luck,

Starlight Impress

Comment

As others have said, you are going to be alright. :welcome: The really hard part of withdrawl comes from abusing alcohol in a much higher quantity and then trying "hair of the dog" the next morning to overcome the jitters.

You may have jitters, but the threads in this program will help you overcome that.

Good Luck.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

The severe symptoms you describe occur when people are drinking a significantly larger amount than you are. The symptoms you are having are probably about what you will experience. Good luck.

Warmly,

Kathy
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

yep-- as an old hand at this, I do believe you are in the clear.
              Stop worrying about the physical sides and work on never getting back where you were. GOOD JOB catching things before they got really outa hand.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Thanks everyone who replied! It was very helpful to know I'm not quite as bad off as I thought and also good to know that I can go without. On day 4 today, and beginning to own up to those emotions I've been trying to cover up for so long.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Comment

SandraW;160551 wrote: Thanks everyone who replied! It was very helpful to know I'm not quite as bad off as I thought and also good to know that I can go without. On day 4 today, and beginning to own up to those emotions I've been trying to cover up for so long.

Have a great weekend everyone.
                  Lol. That is the fun bit.
                  One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Working...
                  X