X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap, I'm eating too much

Hey there MWOers--

Hope yall are having a great day.

Well, I'm on my 3rd day w/o sauce and feeling...FAT.

I am eating like a bear about to go into hibertation. I think it's just something to keep me busy, but at this rate I'm going to have to go back to drinking to allay my awareness that my weight has doubled.

Has anyone else experienced this? Eating instead of drinking? What did you do?

I really really really don't want to gain a million pounds in this process. :upset:

BTW-- just noticed these cool emoticons! :new:

==groovy==
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
    Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
    unsuccessful people with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
    the problems of the human race.
    -- Calvin Coolidge

Hi and welcome! I am moderating so I do not have this issue but it is more than common to substitute food for alcohol. When we drink a lot we are not eating. Also we are getting a lot of sugar from alcohol and so many people find themselves eating sweets much more than usual. Your body is readjusting. It will get back to normal soon I would bet.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Hi - yesterday was my first day without alcohol, and today at work I wanted FOOD. Primarily sweets. Weird because my munching had died down a lot when I started taking Topa a couple weeks ago. I know it's due to the sudden lack of pouring the liquid sugar down my throat.
      Groovychick, from the way I understand it, L-glutamine helps with this sugar craving.
      I'm also working on making sure, if I'm going to eat, make good food choices. This morning I juiced an organic cantaloupe and added green powder (divine). When I was going crazy with munchies this afternoon I had trail mix. For dinner I made brown rice, tofu and a mix of about 8 different (locally grown!) veggies.

Herbal tea is helping me also. Iced, of course. (Lushy, are you melting over there? Jeez leweeeez..... tthey're saying record temps tomorrow!)
      Hugs,
      imatree

Comment

oh darnitall... this conversation made me hungry and now i'm eating oreos...
        but hey, it ain't booze!!
        Hugs,
        imatree

Comment

I'll second that imatree...take LOTS of L-glutamine I take three or more rounded teaspoons of the powder in juice when I'm having a rough day. (spaced out morning, lunch, bedtime). and as Lushy says this will stabilize in time. Although you really don't want to program your brain to accept sugar as a sub for alcohol...it's actually quite addictive too. (just isn't fair is it?).
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

imatree, your moodicon does say WTF after all
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hey guys-- thanks for the great advice!

I was eating sour candies when I logged back in-- you're all right on with the sugar cravings.

I'll stop by my local nutrition store and check out the L-Glutamine.

Now, do you take it only when needed or on a regular schedule??
              Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
              Talent will not-- nothing is more common than
              unsuccessful people with talent.
              Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
              Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
              Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
              The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve
              the problems of the human race.
              -- Calvin Coolidge

Comment

yep, everyone's right - it's the sugar thing. Your body is used to getting a huge dose of carbohydrates (the grog) and your insulin levels are up and down like a yo yo.... after a few days it will start to stabalise, but try not to eat too much high carb food until your liver and pancreas settles down.

F.
                It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Groovychick, I was exactly the same. Food became delicious suddenly when I stopped drinking. It WILL settle down again. Just try if you can to eat healthy stuff. I really got into smoothies in a big way. I bought a book and made all different kinds. Good luck. Bella xx

Comment

Hi Groovy!! I was already well over my ideal weight before I quit smoking several months ago, and and even more overweight now. I do NOT want to gain weight as I cut out the drinking!! I think low carb (read sugar) food choices will really help as others have said. I think the L-Glut will help too. I need to get this fat a$$ doing more exercise as well. Best wishes and congratulations on your success giving up the alcohol!!!!!! I hope to be right behind you there.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Okay. I will admit I want to substitute food for booze too. As I don't really have a sweet tooth THAT'S not a problem. It's cheese. But listening to you folks I do have one question? IMATREE ARE YOU NUTS!:egad: ""For dinner I made brown rice, tofu and a mix of about 8 different (locally grown!) veggies..... UCK! Sorry hon, I luv u but don't invite me to your house for dinner unless it's a buffet. LOL:H

Comment

Someone suggested also switching around the topa and supplements to later in the day vs. morning/afternoons to ward off the cravings. I think this may help food wise also so I'm going to give it a try. I have been following the dosing schedule and find that after the lunch supplements and topa I'm just dragging come afternoon. By early evening I get the hunger and alcohol craving pangs (before dinner - also my "happy hour") and I think if I can hold off my lunchtime dose to later in the afternoon I may ward off all three! Being tired after dinner may prove better than early afternoon in that I may be like another poster in stating that she was too tired to want to drink. If I can amo up before and after dinner I may eat better, ward off the alcohol demon and get to sleep maybe better. It guess it is worth a try.

Comment

Hey Hart, how about if I melt some Gruyere for you to dip the tofu & veggies in, like fondue? Try it, you'll like it!!!
                          Hugs,
                          imatree

Comment

(((Ima)))

I am a simple girl, what is Gruyere? If it's a kind of cheese, maybe. Though I hang firm on the no Tofu!

Comment

Yeah, Gruyere is a specialty cheese, very yummy. Okay, no tofu, but it would go great with grilled zuccini!!
                              Hugs,
                              imatree

Comment

Working...
                              X