Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found this place by reading about drunken astronauts !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone,

2 weeks out of an isolated, Colombian drug/alcohol rehab center and was tring to find a group of English speaking, recovering alcoholics, to relate with. Just lucked into this website today and want to wish you all the best of luck in your endevours.

This is not an easy monkey to get off your backs and I am thankfull to my family for making me see sense and getting help from a clinic specializing in this. 2 weeks intensive care after my third siezure in 6 months, was another convincing factor. Drips, sedatives the lot. I had convinced myself that I was invincible and could be a moderate drinker...

Not a chance. Bottle of rum/vodka/whatever a day, and then go cold turkey for 2 days to go back to work; shaking so badly that I couln't even fill out the immigration forms for the countries I have to visit and asking fellow passengers to fill them out due to my Parkinson's Disease. All alcoholics lie in their teeth to protect there addiction and often to hide from the stigma that comes with this disease.

Siezures from abstenence( i.e you have not drunk anything for a period of time) are no fun and unlike falling into a stupor after a night on the town, these make you shake uncotrollably, froth at the mouth and bite/choke on your tongue. You regain consiousness with no recall of the minutes/hours you've been gone, often to the worried look of all around you if you are lucky enough to have a siezure in public. Imagine driving a car...no, it's too much to think about.

Hang in there yu'all, you are not alone. There are so many of my friends who need help but haven't seen themselves progressively alienating themselves. I'll get to them when I am confident enough in myself, first.

Will post my story elsewhere,
    Meanwhile,
    BFN

Bashley Photo

That is really me !
    I don't care if everyone knows what I look like. If anyone here recognizes me you will obviously be in the same boat and probably have frequented the same watering holes. Welcome!
    :welcome:

Comment

Welcome Bashley,
      You are in a good place. Everyone here is very nice and supportive. Bird

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story (and your picture), showing that this is not something to be ashamed of. I can relate to your background but am not as brave as you... yet. It would be great if you could also share about how you are recovering. (It can't be easy, but it can be inspiring to others).
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi Bashley and welcome, very nice pic Ive often thought about showing my face because I dont mind either who knows me.....im sorting my problem out thats why im here
          Good luck with your journey :h

Comment

Welcome Bashley,
            Hope you hang around and support and be supported. We all need each other.

Good luck
            If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

No worries ROTTROD and thanks.
              Most of my friends in need are Spanish speakers. Any Latinos out there?
              Bashley

Comment

Hy Bashley, welcome to MWO - and you're CUTE!!!

Don't speak spanish, only Aussie - can you translate?
                It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Hello, Bashley
                  I am not Latino. I am Anglo. Heh.

But I am in the same boat as mucho the rest of the world. lol

Welcome.

I would post my pic, too, but it would kill the entire site. heh.

Great to have you here!!

Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Welcome Bashley!

And this is really me.

I'm not afraid of showing my face.

magic xx:schmokin:
                    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                    I am in the next seat.
                    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Flip,

Speak a little 'Strine having worked down in Sale, 100 miles S.E. of Melbourne, some 23 years ago.
                      Lots of "utes", one reasonable restaurant and loads of bars. Those not- quite- pints they serve your way, will sure creep up on you. BTDTGT (BeentheredonethatgotTshirt).
                      In answer to your query:-
                      No hablo Espa?ol, sola ingles Australiano- pero si puede traducir cualquier palabra que tienes.

Stick with it and by the way is "Whatever" really a mood !?
                      Bashley

Comment

Ha! Ha!
                        Got a chuckle out of this -god one, you pussy!

Comment

Filthy, filthy mind.

m. :bat
                          ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                          I am in the next seat.
                          My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Not at all MAGIC. Just refering to your Photo !!ops!:

Comment

Bashley,
                              Welcome to this wonderful supportive site. I don't even know how to put any kind of picture on here! That's how computer illiterate I am. Anyway, I wish the best for you as you read and post on this site. There are a lot of supportive people here.

Comment

Working...
                              X