I have to stop again??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to stop again??!!

:new: Hi all... My name's William and I am trying, yet again, to stop drinking thus am looking at a place like this where the usual 12-Step programs have only had various degrees of success over the past twenty years.

A doctor told me years ago that the addition of proper diet and supplements along with regular exercise can be of great help. I saw mention of that here thus joined.

Hypnosis and med's too sometimes, huh? Ok, might be able to do that if it will actually help.

Hope everyone is feeling well or as well as possible! c:

I have to stop again??!!

Hi William,
    Welcome

I have been hanging out here for a week or two and have been sober for 5 days now thanks to visiting relatives. I think they are leaving tomorrow. Then the real test begins.

I am finding the support of the forums very helpful. I guess I'd better dive in deeper and try what ever is here because I don't want to go through detox again. It was really rough this time. Last night was the first night in 4 that I had a half way decent sleep. I'm looking forward to tonight and hopefully will sleep well.

Good luck and give it a go

IAM............ hopeful!

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Hi William,

:welcome: I m new here myself and this is the best support group you can find. Everybody has their own way of staying AF (alcohol free), for me it' was getting back into working out and planning my next running event. I also have been making sure to read the posts and reply to other people who share the same issue about drinking. You came to the right place and always know that you are a special person.

:goodjob: for signing onto this website and please keep us posted of your progress.

Big hugs,
      Janet - AF Day 6
      AF Since May 2nd 2012

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Hi IAM,

Congrats on Day 5 and remember to start thinking of things to keep yourself busy, you can do it :goodjob: Tonight at 11:30pm, will be AF Day 6 and to think this last Monday( 7/23) I was drinking ALOT, got drunk, one of my cell phones gets stolen and I awake on Tuesday morning with a severe hang over, riddled with guilt, late for work and alot of pain thinking "why can't I just stop"(if you get a chance read my thread 7/24) and thanks to the support on this site, I was able to find confidence in myself to know that I have been AF before and gosh darn it I can do it again. Thanks everyone here and again welcome William.

Big hugs,
        Janet
        AF Since May 2nd 2012

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

If you don't feel like the AA/12-step thing is right for you, this program is a good alternative. Still, you need to read the book and follow the instructions basically, although I think most people tailor it to their own needs and that is also part of the idea here, is that everyone is different and different things work for different people but the basic program is a great start. And this web site.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

just realised that sounded like an advertisement. but it's true. anyway, i am not even one to talk as i am a monumental failure, but am trying hard and i do know that AA is not for me. And the people here are great, both fun and helpful.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

A warm :welcome: William! Many of us here have tried and tried before with little success but the many-faceted approach in this program seems to suit many, so hopefully you too!

The book is the best place to start - you can down-load it straight away - it explains the programme, how it works, the principals behind it and the motivation for it. For me, RJ voiced much of what I had been feeling for years - lots I could identify with! Then coming here was enough motivation to get me started. People pick and choose the parts of the program they feel they need or that suits them. There are many who haven't taken the medication but stick with the supplements - the kudzu seems particularly effective in helping stop cravings. Many love the hypno CDs - keep an open mind to trying everything to see what fits best with you.

Aside from the programme I would also say you've got to want to do this mind, body and soul - otherwise it's too easy to listen to those nagging voices and arguments in your head about 'just one more won't hurt' or 'I'll stop tomorrrow' or 'I feel so stressed I just need a drink to unwind' ... Also approach it as an active challenge - get prepared, make plans - it's a battle so get armed! - take control - get the supplements (good for you anyway) - excercise does help, decide things to keep you busy during the 'drinking hour', plan what to do and how to tackle social events where alcohol is flowing freely, think of things to do with all your new 'sober time'!, keep a journal....

The list is endless as to what people have found help them break the destructive cycle of drink, crash, hangover, remorse, embarassment, oh just one more.... So again a warm welcome and good luck! Glad you found us!

Hi also Iam - well done on day 5! If you can do it with visitors around I'm sure you'll be able to continue now on your own :goodjob: ! And Janet, Day six is brilliant !
              :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
              Goals:
              Days 1-7 DONE
              Days 8-14 DONE
              Days 15-21 DONE
              30 days DONE
              60 days
              100 days

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Hi Iam,

Best wishes with the added challenge you mentioned concerning possibly being left alone where drinking might loom larger in your mind. Do I ever know that particular type of experience.

But, I'll only have two weeks this Thursday so do not feel in much of a position to say anything about stopping! Laugh.

Best wishes over there and thank you for responding to my post.

William

Iam;172014 wrote: Hi William,
                Welcome

I have been hanging out here for a week or two and have been sober for 5 days now thanks to visiting relatives. I think they are leaving tomorrow. Then the real test begins.

I am finding the support of the forums very helpful. I guess I'd better dive in deeper and try what ever is here because I don't want to go through detox again. It was really rough this time. Last night was the first night in 4 that I had a half way decent sleep. I'm looking forward to tonight and hopefully will sleep well.

Good luck and give it a go

IAM............ hopeful!

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Hi planetjanet,

Wow! Cool forum name! Laugh.

I learned what AF translates as thanks to your words of support and encouragement. I had been wondering about that yesterday. :thanks:

Best of wishes and hope you are having a good day!

William

planetjanet;172017 wrote: Hi William,

:welcome: I m new here myself and this is the best support group you can find. Everybody has their own way of staying AF (alcohol free), for me it' was getting back into working out and planning my next running event. I also have been making sure to read the posts and reply to other people who share the same issue about drinking. You came to the right place and always know that you are a special person.

:goodjob: for signing onto this website and please keep us posted of your progress.

Big hugs,
                  Janet - AF Day 6

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Hi Beatle,

Nah, you didn't sound like an advertisement. It was a pleasure to read.

Hope you are feeling well!

William

beatle;172022 wrote: just realised that sounded like an advertisement. but it's true. anyway, i am not even one to talk as i am a monumental failure, but am trying hard and i do know that AA is not for me. And the people here are great, both fun and helpful.

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Hi Arial,

You are the second person to suggest that I take a look at that downloadable book. Probably a very, very good idea! Laugh.

Thank you for the time and length you went to in your post to offer some usefull advice!:thanks:

William

Arial;172023 wrote: A warm :welcome: William! Many of us here have tried and tried before with little success but the many-faceted approach in this program seems to suit many, so hopefully you too!

The book is the best place to start - you can down-load it straight away - it explains the programme, how it works, the principals behind it and the motivation for it. For me, RJ voiced much of what I had been feeling for years - lots I could identify with! Then coming here was enough motivation to get me started. People pick and choose the parts of the program they feel they need or that suits them. There are many who haven't taken the medication but stick with the supplements - the kudzu seems particularly effective in helping stop cravings. Many love the hypno CDs - keep an open mind to trying everything to see what fits best with you.

Aside from the programme I would also say you've got to want to do this mind, body and soul - otherwise it's too easy to listen to those nagging voices and arguments in your head about 'just one more won't hurt' or 'I'll stop tomorrrow' or 'I feel so stressed I just need a drink to unwind' ... Also approach it as an active challenge - get prepared, make plans - it's a battle so get armed! - take control - get the supplements (good for you anyway) - excercise does help, decide things to keep you busy during the 'drinking hour', plan what to do and how to tackle social events where alcohol is flowing freely, think of things to do with all your new 'sober time'!, keep a journal....

The list is endless as to what people have found help them break the destructive cycle of drink, crash, hangover, remorse, embarassment, oh just one more.... So again a warm welcome and good luck! Glad you found us!

Hi also Iam - well done on day 5! If you can do it with visitors around I'm sure you'll be able to continue now on your own :goodjob: ! And Janet, Day six is brilliant !

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Thursday; U.S. East Coast...

Well, hey-hey. I just looked at the Calender and noticed tomorrow is day 14.

Knock on wood... It will be day 14 if I keep myself away from that damned almost instinctual drive towards alcohol that little ol' me has! :bang

In any case... Hope evryone is feeling well or as well as possible! :cupajoe:

William

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Ok. I just got in from a a 15-20 minute walk and am about to go look around for nutritional supplements that may help to keep me in healthier shape! :jumpin:

Going over to the Online health store to browse around and hopefully find something appropriate!

William

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

Wow, Arial,

That was powerful advice....I really needed to hear this, as I'm quite good at caving in when I think I've done 'well'.....

Welcome William, I've not been around long and have kept to one thread so lots of you are new to me and visa versa. I'm day 4 tonight and this forum has been the source of my strength. I am not on topomax but taking all the supplements and have tried to rise to the challenge of living a half decent life without alcohol. Good luck in your journey, you will find the book very helpful and others advice on this forum. LR

Arial;172023 wrote: A warm :welcome: William! Many of us here have tried and tried before with little success but the many-faceted approach in this program seems to suit many, so hopefully you too!

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.

Comment

I have to stop again??!!

LilyRose;172736 wrote: Welcome William, I've not been around long and have kept to one thread so lots of you are new to me and visa versa. I'm day 4 tonight and this forum has been the source of my strength. I am not on topomax but taking all the supplements and have tried to rise to the challenge of living a half decent life without alcohol. Good luck in your journey, you will find the book very helpful and others advice on this forum. LR
                              Thanks LilyRose. :thanks:

You're taking the supplements? I just bought one of the suggested supplents packages from the MWO OnLine Health Store and am looking forward to getting them sometime over the next few days. :bday3:

Hope you are feeling well!

:cupajoe: William

Comment

Working...
                              X