Starting My Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting My Journey

Hi... you may already know me from "At the Bottom"...
    I ended up in the hospital last week-end (stress related charliehorse in the stomach...OUCH) anyway we took a much needed vacation and now I am ready to attack this.... Does anyone know of any natural ways to calm the withdrawals? I suffer at around 12 noon with fuzzy headaches and nausea....leads me to drink... My doctors and I are going on a cut down program...1/2 the first week....nuther 1/2 as much the next... and so on... I am now having to go to 7 drinks a day from 14 (ick, i know)...
    ANY advise would be so awesome...
    Im not really crazy about drugs as I have begun a Prozac run...
    will the Prozac and alcohol collide?
    thanks for being here!!!!
    Hannah

Starting My Journey

Sorry I don't have enough experience to answer your questions directly. Having a supervised weaning period with your Doctor sounds like a good plan. I really think that some of the things you just have to go through until you make it to the other side. Chin up!! You can do it!

Comment

Starting My Journey

Hi Hannah,
      Am not taking any of the supps or meds, but loads of people here who are will be better able to advise you.

Just want to wish you luck with starting out.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Starting My Journey

Luce-I am totally sold on the supplements and the CDs to help the withdrawal and cravings. I started them a week ago yesterday, and 3 days later went AF almost without trying! I was very skeptical at first, but I have to say that they definitely work!! I am not on Topa --- just the book, vitamins/supplements, L-Glut, CDs and the support here did the trick. I am now 6 Days AF and I forget to want to drink sometimes. It used to be 2 bottles of wine every night for me!! (Many a morning I would wake up feeling horrible thinking I wouldn't have any that evening, but there I went again!!!) Then, I got on the Kudzu, L-Glut (other vitamins) and the desire was GONE!!! I know there will be tough times ahead, but for now I am in AWE!!!! Keep reading and good luck!

Comment

Starting My Journey

Sounds like you have a good plan together with your doctors. The prozac is probably to help ease the withdrawal. check this with your doctor. Other meds are available to help the withdrawal symptoms, like valium and ativan. they should only be taken for a short time, though, because they are so addictive. For natural help, lot's of people swear by the kudzu and l-glutamin to curb the cravings. Others are having good success with lithium orotate. Check the holistic healing forum for more natural aids. good luck.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Starting My Journey

I haven't done my af that way, but I think if you are confident in your doctor and you do agree with the plan go for it, if you don't agree with the plan then you will not achieve it as quickly, be honest with the doctor the next time you see him/her and then they can give you additional/different medicines as required.

You have made the first and biggest step - being honest, now you are here you will get support too.

Good Luck

xx
            I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
            I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Starting My Journey

Hannah,

I would read about the supplements. Many here swear by the L-Glutamine and Kudzu. The Kudzu doesn't seem to work for me but the L-Glut does.

I would think going from 14 to 7 would be doable and if you need friends to help you through, we are here for you!!!

It will get much tougher when you go from 7 to 3.5 and then 3.5 to 1.25 because of the measuring. (Just kidding, and I shouldn't make light of it but we should try to laugh some, too!!) :H

By reducing (which is a really tough way btw, if we could all just reduce, we would) you should be able to avoid most of the withdrawals. So, if you can stick with it, that would be best. If not, be brutally honest with your doctor. This is not a personality issue, it is a health issue and you (like all of us) need to address it so you quit hurting yourself physically. (Pot calling the kettle black and all that...)

I have tried to get to AF myself and not been successful, however, I have gone waaay down and seldom drink more than 3 drinks a day, often keeping it to 2. This is from 5 or 6 a day. So, the system is working for me somewhat. I will keep plugging away until I get there, though. I remain hopeful and know I can do it!!

Best of luck and take care,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Starting My Journey

yeah, i'd like to add that this is a very controversial way to help alcoholics stop drinking-- I read about a few hospitals that are doing the tapering-down method with good success. the pros are that it is less uncomfortable for the patient (low level of withdrawal symptoms) and it is less dangerous than an abrupt stop, which can lead to seizures and other medical complications. The biggest problem with this method is that if it is not done in a controlled environment (like a clinic or hospital), it is difficult to make sure the patient follows the instructions. Most alcoholics have a hard time controlling what they drink, so cutting down on their own is difficult if not impossible for many. I am very interested to hear the results, luce.-- sounds like you have some very open-minded doctors and some strong will power to boot.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Starting My Journey

Hi Luce! I'm glad you are feeling better. I am wondering, why did the doctor put you on prozac? I know you are having anxiety and prozac can be good for that, but anyway...I have anxiety also and have to find natural ways to calm down. First, I quit caffiene altogether which till this day I do not beleive! I have been taking all the supps, including gaba, and calms forte. Sleepytime tea at night works, and eating good meals with proper exercise. The last two are common sense, but if I skip a meal, I start to get anxiety and start craving the alchohol beverage. Try to listen to your body when you get into a panic. Know it will pass. Do some deep breathing. Eventually the physical withdrawl of the alchol will lessen and you will start feeling less anxios, I promise...I did!

Cap

Comment

Starting My Journey

Hi Luce,:welcome: I'm so glad you have decided to start your journey. I am starting with you, day 1 today. I'm doing the MWO package (book, cd's, vitamins, kudzu, and l-glut). I hope you are sure about this tapering off scenario. There is no way I could ever drink 7 drinks and then just stop. I don't think there are many of us that could ( isn't that the whole problem with us?). I did this program back in April and was AF for 21 days and then thought that I could just moderate. Well that very quickly turned into 12-15 beers a day. So here I am back at day 1 but I am determined to get this off my back. We are all here for you whether you decide to taper off or just quit. Keep checking in here often. I plan on being here a lot the next 3 days while I'm going through withdrawl. We have to attack this and be the one in the drivers seat. Good luck, Don

Comment

Starting My Journey

Hi Luce Endzz - love that screen name! Congratulations on your decision to stop the madness. After 30 years of heavy drinking - and an average of 16 fl oz of Vodka per day there at the end, I'm so glad to be here giving it up.

Like Pinklady, Cheif, Capricorn, etc. have indicated - I too am taking the full recommended range of supplements from the My Way Out book (please download it if you haven't already) in addition to the hypnosis CD's. It has been WAY easier than I thought it would be to get AF (alcohol free) going, and I'm now on day 26 alcohol free. Prior to this, I hadn't had two days in a row of alcohol free in years.

I highly recommend the supplements (I bought all of mine here - there is quite a variety in quality out there...). MWO offers the starter kit, plus I purchased the Kudzu and L-Glutamine to start with, and I recently added the GABA which I'm very happy with - it's quite calming.

This isn't magic. I think it really helps to keep a positive mind set, and give a lot of thought to WHY you want to be sober, and keep all those good reasons in hand and reminders when the craves come. But I have no doubt that the supplements and hypnosis take the edge off of this, making the previously impossible...possible now.

Best wishes.

DG
                      Day 26 AF
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Starting My Journey

oh man i need you all SO much....
                        I promise to keep posting so you know where im at...
                        i really really want to get healthy again and want to be able to help others in return for your MUCH needed support right now...
                        as of tonight i am at 8 drinks.... VERY stressful day (
                        i dont feel very optimistic right now

Comment

Starting My Journey

i want to quit smoking too...
                          which one is easier????
                          (the drinks bring on the nic fits so Im guessing quit drinking first?)

Comment

Starting My Journey

Maybe 8 could be all for tonight? Can you go to bed early and get up and start tomorrow with the goal being "I'm not going to drink today."? We are all here for you. Today was my Day 1 and it was hard but I did it with the help of everyone here. Why don't you join me tomorrow? I won't "cave to the crave" if you won't... Don

Comment

Starting My Journey

Luce, I'm quitting smoking and drinking at the same time. I figure why go through withdrawl twice. Today sucked but I did it, so can you. Don

Comment

Working...
                              X