I am so frustrated!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so frustrated!!

This is so much harder than I had ever imagined. I constantly fight myself/ my willpower everyday. I started to frantically clean my house last night at 10pm. My husband asked what I was doing and I simply replied, "Well, it's either this or start drinking.." I had a mildly-crappy day today and had a couple of drinks. That's what's frustrating-I was doing so good. Then the slightest irritation sends me back into the bottle. Help guys!! need your wisdom...Should I seek out anti-craving meds from my doc? All of you have helped me so much and continue to inspire me to do better.

Peace

Red
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

~Red :h

I am so frustrated!!

Dear Red,

You are right, it's not easy. It's harder than giving up smoking - because it is socially acceptable. You feel like you are being punished and that it's not fair - how come everyone else can drink but me?

That said, don't despair. It IS achievable and desirable. You are not like everyone, you are like us here at MWO. We struggle the same way that you are right now. When I first stopped drinking I was so resentful it was eating me up.

I imagined that I had inherited a disease (some people think it is a disease) just like I have inherited high blood pressure and crappy hair. I have accepted both and live with the consequences.

I took campral, and it made it so much easier. It takes the craving away while you deal with the social and emotional issues.

I know you are serious about this, so do what ever it takes, everyday. Soon it will be over and you will have the life you want. Trust me, I know, I'm living it - no drink for 8 1/2 months now, no meds and never going back into that pit of despair.

Big hugs Red.
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

forget the couple of drinks, move forward.

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

Dear Red,
        Flip is sooooo right.
        I have just finished a minute clean of my bathroom.... for the same reason. I now have the rest of the evening to work through!
        I have managed to cut down heaps on my drinking, and like you feel "bad" when I do drink. But I'm changing it round to positive thinking, not punishing myself mentally every time I do slip up, and working out achievable goals. Don't batter yourself for having a couple of drinks..
        I took campral then stopped (duh), and now just started back on them. They really do help cravings, as does the kudzu. So, stay with it, read throuigh the threads and posts.
        Our sweet Flip is right, it does get easier.
        By the way, the crappy hair Flip's talking about is the lip hair.. Don't know why she doesn't get it waxed! AND she can't wear a crash helmet because of the bouff hairdo.
        Keep going forward.
        Raggsy.

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

Hi Red, Flip and Rags,
          if you suffered from diabetes and had a hypo, you would do what you needed to sort out
          your blood sugar, you wouldn't beat yourself up for it. Willpower alone rarely works. I did
          try topa and it worked for me, I took it according to the advice in mwo book. I now take
          kudzu and L glutamine, and the cravings are much easier to deal with. I don't think they
          go away completely, I do believe that when we feel guilty, upset etc. the cravings hit you
          hard, but if you try the supps and also the tapes, this does help.
          I was talking to someone who has just had hypnotism to stop smoking, which she has
          managed to do in only two sessions, she said the therapist told her that the subconscious
          mind can be reprogrammed to stop any habits and willpower alone will not curbe any cravings. I found this very interesting and worth looking into.
          Best of luck Paula. x

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

Speaking of re-programming, EVERY single self-help book talks of the power of self talk and how powerful it is - and how easy it is to change the way we think/talk/believe.... there must be something to it - look at all those people who turn their lives around from the most dire of circumstances. If they didn't believe they could do it, they'd still be there.

We must harness our powerful minds and take control of what is not working for us. And to do everything we can to support what we want, for example, taking campral, topa etc etc etc.

REPEAT AFTER ME: I CAN DO THIS! I CAN DO THIS!

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

I can and will do this.

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

All of you continue to amaze and inspire me to get better!

Red
                "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

~Red :h

Comment

I am so frustrated!!

Red,
                  You can come over and clean my house if that will help ! Sorry I was being facicious. Have you tried the supplements ? They take away the cravings. Excercseing helps, deals with that nervous energy. Get involve with something....Volinteer somewhere. Do something to keep yourself busy. IAD
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                  X