Newbies in need - Day 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need - Day 18

Hi Everyone: I'm up early here in the U.S. Hope all is well. I'm beginning day 40, & it reminds me of all the times I tried to stop for Lent (40 days)...it had to be at least 5 years. I never got past day 3. Day 40 also reminds me of the many ways I put off stopping drinking. Here are the things I told myself:
    -I'll stop Monday.
    -I'll stop on the first of the month.
    -I'll stop on my birthday/anniversary/other significant event.
    -I'll stop on New Year's Day/first day of Lent.
    -I'll stop the day after Christmas
    -blah, blah, blah.
    In reality, I stopped on July 10th. That's no particular date...I just said "enough is enough." I stopped for that one day. Then I stopped the next day & the next until I reached 40 days. My sobriety means so much to me now. I just want to keep going w/it. I could never have done this wo/MWO, so thank you everyone here. Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Newbies in need - Day 18

:goodjob: Congratulations on 40 days Mary! That is a terrific run! I can so relate to "I'll stop....". I have done that so many times it isn't funny. I'm very proud of you and want to thank you for being a big part of my success. I'm only on day 8 but you were there for me the first few days when I really needed it. Have a great day ,Mary, pat yourself on the back for me. Don

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 18

Don: I remember when I did my first week w/the help of MWO. It was such a big accomplishment. I praise you so much for the 8 days. You've gotten through the hardest part. That first week is killer. Keep going! Now that you resisted (remember that strong craving the other day?), you know you can do it. Take it one day at a time, & you'll build up. Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 18

Good morning Mary and Don.
        It's another hot one here in TX. We are waiting for the rain to come later and getting our hurricane gear in order. LOL
        I'm doing OK even with all of the triggers I've had this week. My step daughter is really acting out and so hubby is driving to Austin today to give her a reality check. I'll probably be online tonight really needing this place. We were supposed to be going out tonight to celebrate my birthday which was Weds. I'm not upset about the birthday, it's the fact that she won't grow up and face adulthood, her mother does absolutely nothing, I really can't do anything but insist that my husband equip his daughter with the tools she needs to be a responsible adult. So off he goes to do what he can do. Sorry just venting. This child better hope nothing happens to her did, because if I'm controlling the purse strings she is going to be in for a very rude awakening!

One thing I know for certain is that alcohol will not solve or help one bit of this, but having friends and folks here with similar issues sure can help.

Have a great day everyone, I intend to try.

Melissa
        If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 18

Melissa: Why did we feel that alcohol can help w/these types of problems? I know that the first thing I thought about was blotting it all out whenever anything negative came up. Now that I've been sober for a while, I can see how counter-productive that is. Hang in. I think you're correct in letting him handle this. Keep the focus on you. We had a problem kid some years ago & found that Alanon was very helpful. Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Newbies in need - Day 18

Hi mary, Don, Melissa and all to come.

Mary, you go from strength to strength.........40 days is simply wonderful.

Don, I really agree with Mary........now that you`re past the one week mark, bet you feel 10 feet tall.........very well done!!!

20 days for me now..........and yes, I do feel proud of that, but am always aware that this could change overnight if I let it.

Melissa, can really relate to your attitude, as us drinking wouldn`t change a thing, and it certainly wouldn`t improve anything. I currently have an enormous problem in my personal life, and just don`t know which way to turn............am demented.........just don`t see how I could possibly right this problem. In the recent past, this kind of problem would have caused me to seek solace in the wine, but refuse to do that now that I`m AF as it wouldn`t rescue me from the situation, and despite the fact that I can see no solution to my worry, at least by staying sober, I will be all the stronger to try to deal with whatever I have to face.

Love and strength to you all.

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Working...
            X