cameron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cameron

I am new here and this is my first post.
    I have been a heavy drinker for over 30 years and have managed to not get killed or blow up a liver. i work in an environment that is a seemingly endless life of social situations that involve drinking. Some i create , some are created for me. Does anyone have experience with being around drinkers and still fitting in without imbibing. I think that is the secret for me to begin abstinance (i quit for a mont last year with hardly any side effects other than looding better).

cameron

Hi Cameron & welcome to MWO

I've been here since november last year, and my drinking has reduced drastically in that time. All of my friends are drinkers and I started to offer to drive when I joined here, but i'm sure that people with more experience will be along soon.

Keep reading and posting, one thing that I can promise you, that if you want to stop, then with this place you absolutely can.............

Love & Hugs, BB xx
    sigpicXXX

Comment

cameron

it will be okay

I am in my first week. I was a bartender for 5 years. Still in the hospitality industry. quit last summer for a month. lost weight and felt great. Actually slept. It is just hard to hang around it all the time. Have you started your topamax? It's awesome. I'm only on day 4 but I have had no desire to even go in the bar. Not even to say hi to friends. I do have a social event this evening that will have drinking at it but I am not feeling like I want any? completely bizare. I am working a very stressful event today and would usually be looking forward to my first afterwork drink by now hmmm.....topamax must be magic. It also makes me not enjoy smoking! I'm a smoke a holic! can't complain. I just hope you are exsperiencing some relief too. :new:

Comment

cameron

Welcome to us Cameron. Hope you will stick around.

Excuses: I often offer to drive. That's a good one. Also, you can say you are on some medication (I say allergy, because it is in fact true, but it never stopped me before). There are lots of good excuses, but I think you are more after how to handle it yourself, as in resisting, and as in fitting in when others are drunk and you are not.

Fitting in: This is tougher. Sometimes you can find others who are not drinking (pregnancy is a good indicator) and have normal conversations with them. Sometimes you can just sit back and enjoy watching others make fools of themselves. I occasionally try to remember how it was to be tipsy and pretend like I am. It's a little game I play with myself. Another trick is to constantly remind yourself how great it is to be the one person in control-- make it a mini personal power trip. Or just think about all the things you will get done the next day because you will not be hungover.

It IS really hard at first to feel comfortable not drinking when seemingly everyone else is. Sometimes you just have to accept not having a good time. But it gets better with practice. Now I don't even dread social events anymore. In fact, I often have fun. (But I do like to have a glass in my hand, that's a must.)

You could ask Bashley for advice about this (Bashley, are you out there?) as he has been AF (alcohol free) for a couple months now and is totally surrounded by social events and big-time drinkers.
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

cameron

Just saw your post caterz. Welcome to you too.

That's amazing to be on day 4 and feeling so strong. More power to you.
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

cameron

I have found that simply by not sharing my sobriety, people don't tend to notice. I don't know if you plan on abstaining or moderating but when I'm behaving, I can order (and, of course, drink!) one or two glasses of wine but also get a glass of water and if the conversation is good, no one even seems to notice that I'm not drinking as much as before. If you're in a party-type situation, it's even easier. You can have water with lemon and for all anyone knows, it's a cocktail. My advice is just keep it to yourself.

Comment

cameron

can't top that Beatle...right on!

welcome to you Cameron and Caterz
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

cameron

i just wanted to say that after a while of being AF, you really DO fit in, and nobody gives a flying f*$k if you drink or not. It just takes time to get used to living a different way. But, hell, once there, it's FANTASTIC!

F.
                9 months sober!
                It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

cameron

Cam: I've gone to a number of parties this summer & was AF while everyone else was drinking. It does feel strange at first not to have the "social lubrication." I find that if I can get through the first few minutes when the host asks what I want & I get a soft drink instead of a wine, I'm fine after that. I've also walked into parties w/a large open bottle of water or iced tea in my hand. I'm already sipping & don't have to pour anything from the drinks table until I've thought long & hard. The feeling passes pretty quickly. As the party progresses, nobody notices what I'm drinking...they don't even care. Yes, completely sober parties are different, but I'm finding they're OK. Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

cameron

Cameron

:thanks:
                    Pleasantly surprised by the responses, there are some good ideas, and i guess its time to not be alone with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X