Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Long Introduction

My story

I?ve been lurking around this website for some time, but hadn?t had the guts to admit my problem, and to finally chime in. It was a story from Voices and several other recent chronicles that finally inspired me to open up and tell my story. So, this is my first post.

My Background: I am well educated individual with a Bachelor?s degree and Master?s degree. My husband and I both have enjoyed solid professional careers (we met and worked at the same company), while raising our children, who are now 10 and 12. I took a leave from my company four years ago when we took a foreign assignment through my husband?s new company. After returning to the states, my husband accepted a position with another company, and I resigned my position the end of last year because we moved to another location. I was very active abroad, too, so I didn?t miss my career so much, and it was really nice to be totally engaged with my children ? for the first time -- completely. Since being back, I haven?t really been involved in anything career-wise, but have kept busy taking classes, while trying to figure out my next path. So, that?s a little information about me.

My Problem: I didn?t develop what I consider to be a drinking problem until around my mid-30?s -- that being several years ago. But, I now believe it was just a matter of me chipping away at the wine bottle a little at a time, until it finally became a problem about 10 years later. I realized that I had an alcohol problem when I finally made the decision to cut back, but couldn?t.

To this date, I have never ever attended any function intoxicated, but, of course, I could leave one very well satiated -- if you know what I mean ? but not embarrassingly or even obviously drunk. I?ve never missed an event, including any of my children?s school events, because I was too drunk to go, nor would I even consider having a drink beforehand. I?ve never missed picking up my children from school or driving them to and from extracurricular activities because I was too intoxicated, and it would be unthinkable for me to have a drink before. I never missed a day of work because I was intoxicated or too hung over to function. And, my alcohol cravings do not start until the evening happy hour.

Speaking of happy hour, my happy hour (or two or three!) typically begins around 6:00 p.m., maybe a little earlier -- depending on what?s happening, and it is a coveted time for me, my wine, and making dinner ? which I enjoy. My husband usually isn?t home yet -- that is, if he?s not traveling. Happy hour is that time of day when you are allowed to reward yourself for being a good mom, a good person, a good worker, etc., right?

And that?s where it starts, but doesn?t end until it?s time for me to go to bed, just short of passing out. I am not falling down drunk, but I am to the point where I may forget the last hour of anything that occurred, but will remember most things when my memory is jogged the next day. I?ve always had a sleeping problem, and alcohol has managed to buy me some sleeping time. Of course, we all know that waking up after sleeping off the alcohol is not really a restful sleep. I rarely wake up with a hangover, and am rarely sick. But, I almost always wake up feeling guilty and angry for letting myself down.

My husband drinks almost everyday, but can stop after his normal two, and almost always does. I know he recognizes that I have alcohol issues, but rarely mentions it, because if he did, then we would have to address them, and he?d feel that he would have to give up his happy hours in order to support me, which he would do in a heartbeat. And, that would make me feel even worse because it?s my problem ? not his. That?s why I?d like to try and manage this issue on my own, with me taking the lead.

Finally, alcohol abuse does run in my family ? I have an alcoholic father (who refuses to acknowledge that), and many, many relatives with a long history of alcohol addiction.

Next Steps: I wanted to finally come out, write my story, and maybe solicit some support from all of you. I know there are many of you who have alcohol issues that are far less serious than mine, and there are those of you who have a bigger battle. But, one thing for sure, whether it?s a big problem or a small problem, it?s a problem, and that is why we are here.

My goal is to AF during the week, and only enjoy drinks on the weekend ? Friday and Saturday. My longest AF so far has been ten days, but I typically can only squeeze out one day a week, if I try real hard. I know there are threads and threads of recommendations as to how to accomplish AF during the week, but I?d like to start a new thread for me, and would love to hear what you can recommend to help me achieve my goals. And, perhaps I?ll realize that my goals aren?t achievable, and that I will have to be AF, but I?d like to give it a try this way first. I have read the book, have taken the supps, but do not want to take any meds.

Is there anyone out there who is trying to achieve the same goals and is finding success, and has some tips that will help? Or are you new, wanting to attain the same goals, and are looking for a buddy to work it through together?

My Long Introduction

Hi LBJ and welcome.
    Everyone`s story is different, but your alcohol dependency doesn`t seem to have caused any major disruptions in your life, other than you realizing your wine has become more of a nightly necessity than a relaxant.

Like yourself, my initial plan was to moderate. However, I failed and was forced to accept that living the AF lifestyle is the only surefire way for me to beat the booze. I was horrified at the very thought of living without my wine.......like yourself, I only ever drank in the evening.......unfortunately, it was every evening without fail, because I had grown to need my nightly fix........am happy with there being no alcohol in my life now, but it does take a great deal of adapting. I think you should give moderating a fair go........you can`t possibly know if you can successfully moderate your drinking until you try.

However, I would certainly suggest you try to achieve the initial 30 days of abs as RJ`s book recommends.........a 30 day break will allow your body to become free of all the alcohol toxins and put you in a firmer frame of mind to attempt mods. I think a 30 day period of abstention is crucial to successfully moderating........the fact that I didn`t initially do the 30 days of abs was probably a contributing factor to my own attempt at mods resulting in failure.

Wishing you love and strength for your journey,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

My Long Introduction

Hi LBJ, and welcome. Sounds like you have a good understanding of yourself, and good discipline in most areas of your life, but you're struggling with a habit that's become more than just a habit. I'm guessing (based on the "never attended a function drunk, or gotten obviously/embarrassingly drunk there, or missed an event, etc") that you're pretty sensitive to people's judgment of you. Must be good in public to avoid criticism. I know that I'm that way, big time. And because I'm that way, posting my story here on MWO and admitting to a few close friends that I have a drinking problem has been a very powerful motivator to get me to stop. Now I wouldn't just be changing my mind and disappointing myself, I would be publicly failing. So I've been able to use my fear of criticism as leverage against my addiction.

Have you talked to your husband about quitting or reducing? It sounds like he would be very supportive. Yes, it's your problem, but you'd be foolish not to use a powerful tool that's available to you. If you think you'd do better if he didn't drink, or even to have no alcohol in the house during the week, maybe ask him to give up happy hour for a couple of weeks or a month while you develop some new habits. It doesn't have to be a "forever" thing, and I'm sure he'd be happy to make that small sacrifice to help you get back in control. Good luck, and keep posting.

peace and strength,
      lilnev
      Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
      A: Practice, of course.

Comment

My Long Introduction

Thank you so much for your kind response and advice. I think I will work on the 30 day AF first. But, I have to be realistic and allow myself to chip away a small chunk at a time, meaning, one day at a time. You don't know how much I appreciate your response...

Comment

My Long Introduction

lilnev, thank you also for your response and advice. You and Starlight Impress have given me quite a bit to think about. It was very difficult for me to ask for help, and I thought I would panic when I hit the "send" button, but I actually felt relief.

Comment

My Long Introduction

LBJ,

Great post after lurking for so long, thanks for sharing your story.

I think the new research would tag us both as a "functional sub-type" since we really never got into any significant trouble because of our drinking. Highly educated, successful, etc. our drinking problems are much more apparent to us and our closest loved ones than to our friends or co-workers who probably have no clue that we are drinking too much.

Happy hour is our downfall, as you said: "Happy hour is that time of day when you are allowed to reward yourself for being a good mom, a good person, a good worker, etc., right?" The problem is that, for whatever reason, that "reward" has gotten out of control.

Anyway, I want you to know that the program has been working well for me and my wife for the last 30 days, even though we had very different manifestations of the alcohol problem coming into this. We have been many days AF and the rest moderate since starting the program about 30 days ago. We are doing the whole thing, including the Topamax and hypnosis CD's. I think both have been very helpful to me and I would encourage you to reconsider including them in your program.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you may be keeping this from your husband, who sounds to me like a supportive guy. I bring this up both because my wife and I often "hid" our drinking from each other and "hiding" this treatment feels wrong to me too. I also feel there is some kind of magic in the combination of the supplements, the Topamax and the hypnosis CD's. For whatever reason, I can now sit with one glass of wine or one glass of beer when I used to have 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. This seems to happen without will power and to me, that is a small miracle.

Anyway, congrats on coming out on this board and good luck with your program. I look forward to reading about your success!
            ?If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.? -Wayne Dyer

Comment

My Long Introduction

we're twins!

Hey, we're the same, girl. We share much the same history, same family home and drinking patterns. I want to encourage you ... I have cut my drinking down by half (and I'm not exaggerating because I was going to put two thirds and realized that wasn't quite right....!)

I'm glad you posted - I read the posts here every week at least since my big change. And drinking half is a big change for me, that's from 5 - 6 bottles of wine a week to 2 -3. Cooking the nice meal while having wine, sitting and chatting with my husband while he has his 2 beers a nite - I didn't want to pass those up and going AF made me sad.

So, here it what is working - it is actually lots of little things -

1. I cook a really nice dinner and buy a very nice bottle of wine for Friday nite and drink it all, plus 1 or 2 glasses.

2. During the week I go to bed when my husband goes to bed - he is helping me in this by encouraging me to come to bed instead of staying up.

3. I only buy wine in those little 4 packs so there is never a bottle of wine in the house, except Friday. Otherwise I have to finish the whole bottle, because it just doesn't taste as good the next day, ya da ya da ya da. You know the thinking...

4. When I come home at 8:30 or 9:00 in the evening from a school/community function I make a cup of hot chocolate with real milk. This gives me 1 to 3 days AF a week.

5. I drink AllOne with oj every morning.

6. I read the posts here and get inspired by Starlight Impress and retteacher and BettyBoop and the kayak lady and EVERYONE!

7. I remind myself between 5pm and 7pm that there are better ways to spend my mind than on wine. I have a new hobby on the computer I enjoy (digital scrapbooking - just as addicting as wine with no guilt) and spend the time doing that instead of relaxing by drinking.

Best of luck, and keep posting!

Muchthought

Comment

My Long Introduction

Thanks for sharing your story, Justin. Congratulations on your 30 days -- that's awesome!!!You're right -- I haven't shared this with my husband yet. Perhaps I felt that I needed to admit my problem and get myself on board first, then discuss it with him. As for Topamax, did you and your wife meet with a physician to discuss your issues, and then receive a prescription???

Comment

My Long Introduction

Welcome LBJ! So many things in your post I could relate to as well. Funny how we all have so much in common. I have found the Kudzu and l-glutamine in later afternoon helps a lot to get through happy hour. I take the All-one in the morning along with milk thistle. I did not use the hypnotherapy CDs when I first started the program but when I did incorporate them about six months into it I could not believe the difference. The key is staying consistent with them.

We look forward to learning more about you. :welcome:
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

My Long Introduction

Muchthought, thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. I cannot believe all the supportive feedback I've received so far. I feel so much better, knowing that my story isn't so different than others. This was a BIG step for me today...

Comment

My Long Introduction

I saw your post to Justin about topa- I did it all - topamax, hypo, supps. I think they all help. The topamax did not agree with me at all, but it did make the craving go away - but I felt so bizarre and tingly and tired that there was no way I could keep with it. I bought the topa overseas from United Pharmacies. I personally did not want to be labeled alcoholic by my doctor and have that follow me on my record. The hypno is helpful too, but I don't have time to do it every day, but it did give me the idea to do positive self talk. I think the glutamine does help a little in forgetting to have the glass of wine, if you remember to take it at 4:30 or so. Kudzu made my ears hurt.

All in all, the whole program is a great starter - it makes you focus and the AllONe is the first vitamins I can take consistently. The topa made me realize that it really is a physical thing, this craving that kicks in at 5pm. Just knowing a drug could stop it made me realize that I could stop it too. Make any sense?!! We are stronger than we think....

Comment

My Long Introduction

Lushy, thanks, too, for the advice. I'll give them a try...

Comment

My Long Introduction

Muchthought, thanks for your insight. I'm putting my list together of what I need to get. I have to agree that sharing my alcohol issues with my physician and having it follow me doesn't make me very comfortable.

Comment

My Long Introduction

My wife and I didn't want the label of alcoholic either. We got the topa online, although we did talk about it to some close friends who are docs. The topa side effects seemed to lessen after the first week for us and we are now up to 100 mg a day (following the regime in the book)

Don't know if it is the Topa, supplements or Cd's, but something is helping kill the cravings and making it WAY easier to drink in moderation. It is still work, but RJ really put together a sweet program here... We also have increased our daily exercise routine and positive reading habit too.
                            ?If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.? -Wayne Dyer

Comment

My Long Introduction

:welcome:

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!

Comment

Working...
                              X