Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Long Introduction

Hi LBJ,

Well let it be said --AGAIN--- Your story sounds just like mine.

1. Drinks wine only in the evening
    2. Kids -- all very lovely and for the most part - happy
    3. Husband who can drink only a few and be done with it
    4. Lived abroad for several years -- loved the cheap/good wine
    5. Never missed a functing or made a scene
    6. Hesitant to share my concern and what I am doing with my adorable mate
    7. Started the evening cooking great dinners for the family with a glass of vino
    8. Wants to get drinking under control

I have tried the supps and I think they are working well. Tried the Topa and don't care for it at all, but some people sware by it. My plan (after much soul searching) is A/F for at least 30 days and reevaluate then.

egads....we could know each other...
    Good Luck!!!

Comment

My Long Introduction

To All -- I can't thank you enough for your comments and advice. This has really meant a lot to me, and I know with this kind of support, I can do this...

Comment

My Long Introduction

Free Bird -- MY GOSH!!! It's like looking in a mirror!!!

Comment

My Long Introduction

Yeah, I think there are a lot of people out there just like you and me, especially women. They are here on this site AND they are your friends, neighbors, teachers, doctors.... who are thinking the same thing, but are struggling, but too proud to come clean with it. Admiting and wanting to change is HUGE. I believe drinking is a much bigger problem than people are willing to admit. Probably because of the stigma associated with it. RBJ's book classified the stages of acholisim, but in the long run it all the same -- just different stages.

Bottom line is we want to feel better.. and that's all.

Chinny up.

GO

Comment

My Long Introduction

it's a matter of time

I agree with the stages of alcoholism - and I love justintime's name, because that's how I feel - that I'm catching it just in time. If I kept on thinking I didn't need to change I would be flat out drinking in the daytime alcoholic and well on my way to throwing away my beautiful life with a loving husband, teenagers that are doing great and an active social life. I feel I was on the edge of wanting to stay home from all these things I do just so I can relax. Well, just so I can relax means just so I can drink.

Order up the stuff, lbj, you won't regret it. I told my husband I thought I was starting to drink too much and he said, "I wondered about that but didn't want to say anything. What do you think I can do to help?" They love us you know.

Have a great day! Love hearing all the posts and I'll check in tomorrow. :h

Comment

My Long Introduction

LBJ,

One more thing. I have had a long conversation with my husband and best friend and it was very liberating. It just takes little baby steps....You have taken a very big one today.

GO

Comment

My Long Introduction

I'm looking forward to announcing my first AF day...thanks again everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I look forward to sharing my journey with my husband (who also happens to be my best friend), but I'm on the first baby step, and it happens to be the only step I can balance on my own right now...

Comment

My Long Introduction

It was like reading my life story....we all struggle here and are working together to change...i am happy you found this place..i cant say enough about it and the people here...please stick around...we all need all he support we can get...:welcome: Buckle

Comment

My Long Introduction

Hi LBJ -

It WAS a huge step telling your story here! Congratulations on that. I can relate to the heart pounding with the finger on the send button!

You're obviosuly getting tons of great advice. There was one concern you mentioned that I thought I could throw my 2 cents in on. As far as going to a doctor: I also wanted total privacy where this was concerned. Including with my health insurance company. I looked on line at a site I had heard about: liveoutsidethebottle.com . It's one of many sites around these days that offer options for at home alcohol treatment. You can search by zip code and find a doctor in your town (or 50 miles away!) who will be up to speed on current medications and all other issues related to reducing alcohol consumption or stopping altogether. They were mostly internists and GP's that were listed in my area on that particular site. Anyway, I was able to be perfectly frank with the Dr. I went to. He appreciated the research I had done and "got" what I was trying to do. He prescribed a med (campral) without any fuss. I also told him I was concerned about privacy with regard to my health insurance company. He was very understanding there too and offered to code the visit with something other than addiction/alcohol stuff. If he hadn't, I would have paid for the visit out of pocket without insurance. I also paid out of pocket for the prescription.

So, just in case you decide you want to go a doctor - that's one way to do it with complete privacy!

Glad you're here and good luck. Look forward to hearing how it's all going-

wonder xx

Comment

My Long Introduction

The research you've all done, the information you provided, and the experiences that you shared are unbelievably generous. My sincere thanks...you have given strength to tackle this first day...

Comment

My Long Introduction

Hey LBJ, you still here? How's it going? Any thoughts, or a concrete plan, for how you're going to move forward?

peace and strength,
                        lilnev
                        Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
                        A: Practice, of course.

Comment

My Long Introduction

Thanks for inquiring, lilnev.

I'm still here -- just getting all of my ducks in a row so I don't set myself up for failure before I even begin. For the last couple of days, I've been thinking about what approach to take, and I've come to the conclusion that I will try and go AF for the next month. Obvouisly, if I do happen to bump out of the wagon, I'll get right back in, but that's my plan.

Trying to figure out when to begin (and, of course, it should be NOW) is the tough one, especially with the weekend coming up, and one full of parties! I plan to be AF today, and see how strong I can stay this weekend. The last couple days have gone pretty well, too -- not AF, but quite a reduction nonetheless.

It's people like you, lilnev, that help keep the focus. Thanks for caring enough to check in...

Comment

My Long Introduction

OK, good to hear that you're planning, and congratulations on the reductions so far. One month AF is a good goal, enough time to break the cycle, figure out some new things to do with the time (and money!), and get comfortable with a sober lifestyle. You'll have a clearer look at the problem, and a better sense of what strategies/defences you need to put into place, whether you decide to stay AF or try moderating. And most of all, a better sense of your own strength, and how good it feels to be back in control and rebuilding your health and well-being.

Weekends are hard, I won't lie, especially the first one. I recommend planning ahead, what your non-drinking alternatives will be. Something fun and rewarding!

Have you talked to your husband? I understand it's scary, because then you'll fear disappointing him if you slip up or give in to the temptation. But you call him your best friend, which is wonderful; he could also be your greatest ally when you struggle.

Keep up the great work, and keep posting. We want to see you succeed.

peace and strength,
                            lilnev
                            Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
                            A: Practice, of course.

Comment

My Long Introduction

lbj sounds like you have a plan. your story sounds like mine, although I don't have children.
                              I am responsible,and healthy.
                              Most people would never think that I have a problem. I actually don't hide it, I tell everyone, but they think that I am making things up. Maybe they are having problems facing their demons.

I use L-glut, and supplements. I also exercise, which has helped me a lot.
                              I don't drink alone, or when I post here.
                              I constantly make a picture in my head of how ugly it is to be drunk and to wake up hungover.
                              I didn't do the 30 AF, but think this would have helped if I did.
                              I am still in the process of cutting down.
                              my tolerance has gone down quite a bit which is a relief. I am so happy that I can no longer keep up with my heavy drinking friends.
                              I didn't set any drink limits or time limits.
                              since signing up here I have become more aware of myself and my drinking habit, and I am slowly moving towards being healthy.
                              the biggest change I have noticed, is that I am no longer depressed and feeling bad.
                              good luck in your journey:h
                              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

My Long Introduction

Hi LBJ, like I am successful and a graduate and only my close home family knew, until a couple of months ago that is. Alcolism is a progressive disease and I have slipped futher down the road before I did something about it. But to me it is a very hard struggle and I wish you very well. I think you caught the problem just in time and can win.
                                Good luck
                                make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X