Rewards....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewards....

Well its been one month and 14 days now that I have been AF.
    Its been a bit of tough journey, if i do say so myself, because I always drank as soon as i got home from work .. when I was cooking dinner for the wife and kids. Dinner preparation started with a couple of glasses of white wine, and the drinking finished when dinner was eaten. I was able to polish off a bottle a night, every night and sometimes more. Wine was clouding issues and the way I reacted in certain situations, so I decided to quit, I poured 3 litres down the drain on September 10th, the day of my 19th wedding anniversary.
    I didnt set any goals, I went day by day, but I knew I couldnt go back to doing what i did.
    Then one day at work it clicked ... Why not reward myself with something I really wanted, with the money that I saved from not buying all that wine. Now I have a goal and a reward system !!!
    The second week of AF I went out a bought a brand new fishing rod, the 4th week I bought a brand new baitcasting fishing reel. Not only am I feeling better, I am feeling better about myself, and rewarding myself for it.
    Doing this rewarding thing helped me during the inital phases of kicking the habit. Once the 4th week went by i noticed that I had lost about 10lbs and was starting too fit back into some of my old clothes. People started to notice, ... another reward.
    I'm not saying it was easy, but this method worked for me. I still have some major hurtles to cross, and decisions to make, but the race is started, and it looks like I'm keepin up.

d-mo

Rewards....

Congratulations, D-mo on both your 19th anniversary and your AF success.

Comment

Rewards....

What a wonderful uplifting post D-mo. Hope you will continue to keep us apprised of how your journey is going. The money we can spend on alcohol is amazing, isn't it?
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Rewards....

I agree, what an uplifting post!!!!

Comment

Rewards....

Thanks for that, it was a very inspiring post.

I agree that rewards work better than punishment.

That's why I have started changing my mantra from "I hate alcohol, alcohol is poison, it brings me down", to "I love being sober, it feels so good, I get so much done".
          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Rewards....

Very upbeat post. Thanks for the reminder. Last year when I gave up for a month I treated myself to some beauty treatments with the money I had saved. Must start thinking of some other ways to treat myself.

Rustop

Comment

Rewards....

inspiring!!

That was an inspiring post (sorta fits my mood today ) AND it is amazing how much $$ you can literally BLOW on alcohol.................maybe I will start doing the same when I get some time under my belt, as I am back on day 1 again (cannot seem to get ANY time built up this time around:durn:

BUT it is not that I don't know what to do and NOT do, right!!???

Good job, thanks for the post!! D-mo, and congrats on 19 yrs,I am at 17, maybe if I stay sober I will make it to 19 too!!!!!:h

MA
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Rewards....

Beatle, great suggestion for maintaining a positive attitude. I'm going to borrow it if you don't mind.

Comment

Rewards....

Just a wonderful attitude. I wish I liked fishing as much as you. I need to find other reward triggers.
                  Keep it up.
                  Hugs Lori
                  *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Rewards....

Tootsie, glad you like the positive attitude, I'm getting it from members like D-mo (thanks D-mo, but not so sure about the fishing part... I mean, they do have feelings too... ok, whatever it takes, right?).

Lori, your avitar is great, I'll bet that's your own, and your "signature", also... so perfect for this time of year.
                    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Rewards....

Yes great motivating post, I'm thinking as I type what I could treat myself to with money saved by not drinking.... This is wierd as when I was losing weight I treated myself to something, usually a beauty treatment at every half stone but never put that thought to drinking. Ta muchly.

Lxx
                      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Working...
                      X