withdrawal HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

withdrawal HELP

Tried getting professional help confidentially and they told me the worse case scenario and that i need to be on a programme to withdraw. story is, early 40's drank heavy since teenager, drink min bottle of wine night mx 1 ltre. Having operation in couple of months which willsee me in hospital for few days. Know I need to get my body used to not having it, is there anything anyone can recommend I take to help calm my body down, am i best gradually cutting down the wine to zero rather than cold turkey? please dont tellme to go to a doctor i have already decided i am going to try at home. thanks for your help. I am in Vic, Australia.:welcome:

withdrawal HELP

hi there, i can see someone responded (yipee) but i dont know how to open it up to read it.

Comment

withdrawal HELP

Warrenweaver - :welcome:

Just keep the poss of your doc in your mind though? If you start to feel really bad as cold turkey IS dangerous... cutting downcan work if you can stop at the small :new: 'dose'...

Different things for different people but it worked for me to cut down over 5 days... in that I took one very small glass three times a day for 2 days, then the same twice a day for 2 days (didn't want the second on day four so didn't have it) then once on day five when I threw half of it away and that was 5 months ago...

Don't look further ahead than today - or this minute. Don't look back either - just don't drink now. And now. And now.... then it'll build and after a couple of weeks you'll feel better. Days 3 and 4 can be the hardest for cravings - but hang in there...it is SO worth it.

Post and read and post and read here....you'll get loads of wonderful advice from everyone.

Have you donwloaded the book from here and checked out the supplements and medications? There's bound to be some of our lovely Aussie lot along later to tell you about getting them 'down there'.

Good luck to you. Remember, YOU CAN DO THIS THING. It's going to be OK.

Love
      FMS xx :h
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

withdrawal HELP

more 2 thats brilliant. can i access all that without prescription. should i start putting that lot in my body BEFORE i stop drinking?

Comment

withdrawal HELP

this is brilliant HELP alleluyia.

Have to go to a sports day, will be back later x

Comment

withdrawal HELP

Hey Warren I'm 37 and I've been drinking like yourself heavily since my late teens. I was a heavy binge drinker though rather than a regular litre drinker of wine; although some of my binges lasted a hell of a lot longer than the week-end. I drank at all times of the day night and mornings I usually started early, sometimes as soon as I got out of bed. When I was binging though for short periods of time I was always self detoxing my body for a short period unknowingly to me until I was able to cope with the next onslaught. When I stopped completely i did it on my own and at home and with the help and support from another forum I used to regularly post on. Have you had a liver function test from your GP yet? because you will need to know how much damage you have done, if any, in order to safely detox yourself. It can be very dangerous in some severe cases when the alcohol is stopped completely and sometimes medications may be necessary. From my experience detoxing was not a bad thing for me. I went through the usual cravings and shakes and hot and cold sweats and insomnia etc. Nothing really major or unusual from the norm. I had cravings for sweet things which I ate thousands of haribo jelly sweets and lots of fizzy drinks for and I took lots of walks (without any money!!). There's lots you can do Warren to keep you mind ticking over, as well, as the drink will be constantly on your mind for the first month or so so you need to combat that by staying busy and focused on your goals for the day. It also helped me to take things one day at a time in the beginning and not get too wrapped up in what was happening further down the line. Whichever way you choose to do it make sure it is right for YOU you can get help and advise from people sharing their own stories etc but everyone is different in their approach and you have to be sure you're doing what is right for you 100%.

Good luck with your efforts anyway Warren and if you have any doubts over anything or you are feeling you cannot manage your detoxing get online on here and start posting and asking for help. It costs nowt and there is usually someone around that will answer your posts pretty quickly.

Love and Happiness
            Hippie
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

withdrawal HELP

Just be careful and don't be afraid to get help if it gets too rotten to handle.

Cashy

xxxx
              "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

withdrawal HELP

I was told that the first three days of detox can be difficult. Maybe need to be on xanex or something. Stick with a doctor. I was also told cutting back slowly. I'm no doctor... you should use really talk to medical people. They will help and they won't judge.
                Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

withdrawal HELP

thank you all SO much. FABULOUS advice. It starts here, now, this minute. tonight 4 glasses wine instead of the usual 7 or 8. I aim NOT to have a drink until 7pm (instead of 5pm)! I have to get my head around some strategies to help me cope with withcing hours 4-8 with 4 kids nrly killing each other etc..... I am usually 3/4's thru my drinking before hubby even walks thru door at 7pm. I know getting this monkey off my back will be the hardest thing Ive ever had to do. I had breast cancer when pregnant and that was a breeze compared to this. My dad died of alcoholism as did my only sibling,mymum left me cos she was an alcoholic when we were little. I believe I must be genetically predisposed to abusing it. My life has only got memories including drink. Its a lonely exhausting disease. My husband thinks its ok for me to drink the way I do (hes not got a problem with alcohol) although he doesnt know the constant internal battle that exists for me daily)
                  ANyway will attempt to be back tomororw to report the 4 glasses. Cant imagine getting much sleep I am normally comotosed by 9pm!

Comment

withdrawal HELP

Hi ww,

I've done it both ways, it's SO much easier with your doctor and the right medication.

Especially with the kids trying to kill each other...and I've only got three.

magic xx
                    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                    I am in the next seat.
                    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

withdrawal HELP

Go to a doctor honey - they are great in Oz - very understanding - i mean drinking's the national passtime here so you can imagine how many cases they see every day. You really need to see someone - let them help you through this. And you could have other issues to work through as well - like what happened in you childhood and how that effects you now - see a DR, get a referral to a psychologist (you can see one on Medicare now with no gap to pay - your Dr can help you find a good one).

I found it incredibly hard to see a dr but am so glad i did - this drinking thing can be alot more complex that just getting pissed all the time. And you will be amazed at how non-judgemental a doctor can be. Do it for your kids - get a grip and take the first step - get some help, you don't have to do it by yourself.

Take Care
                      Cashy
                      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                      X