need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice!

:new: I just found out about this program today by stumbling on it online. I recognize myself in so many people's stories ... I function well day-to-day but I have grown increasingly tired of alcohol ruling my life. Also, therapists have suggested AA but I just CANNOT seem to get myself to a meeting and now I am comforted that I am not the only one. I'm an intensely private person, and shy, and although I have planned time after time to go, I don't .. now finding out about this program gives me new hope.
    NO ONE knows about my problem .. no one at all. I drink wine every night. I want to be healthy again, I want to get rid of some of the poundage I put on through this. What's a bit different about me is I didn't really have a problem until I was in my late 30s. Now it's seven years later. During that time, I went through an absolutely horrible divorce (my drinking was not the main factor, although certainly a huge contributor) and now I live alone. I have no kids, and I think the booze somehow keeps me company. very pathetic and sad I know !!

My main question, just starting out, is if anyone manages to do this without the Topamax??? I am already taking two psychotropic drugs, Zoloft, which I've been taking for years (yes, I do understand that I'm counteracting my antidepressant with a depressant when I drink), and for the past few months, Clonazepam, a supposedly nonaddictive anti-anxiety drug. I JUST saw my psychiatrist a few days ago to assess my progress. Of course, I have completely lied to him; when he perscribed the new drug, it was to help with terrible anxiety (I was unemployed) and when it seemed to work for me, I planned to have it help me come off the booze. (I did admit to him in my first visit about the binging.) In follow-up visits I have told him I don't drink anymore ... god, I know other people lie to their doctors, but I'm ashamed ... I just don't want to go back to him and tell him I've lied all these months and ask for yet another drug.

Anyway, I'm being very long-winded. but i'm wondering if the Topamax (not sure if I have the name right) is essential. I have stopped drinking several times before. And each time,the reason I go back is not the craving, I don't think, but in part just wanting to fill up that empty feeling with my familiar routine. It's pathetic, I know, and i know I need to get out more and fill up my time, but I've gotten into this awful rut.
    If anyone has any helpful words, I would love it ..
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

need advice!

Hey Dexterhead
    Welcome. Great that u found this website...I just joined myself last week. I can not help too much with the topamax questions...but for myself I truely believe when I started taking paxil 4 years ago, that is when my drinking became a bit of a problem. Anyways to make a long story short...I no longer take any meds...and have been depressed over this time..but to be completly honest I have been so happy this week since I havent had a drink...and I will not let it control me any longer...
    I am alot like you...I need to find other things to do in my spare time..to keep busy! I do not think you are being pathetic at all....Life becomes very routine...we get up...go to work...go home have supper...blah blah blah...I sometimes think...is this all there is in life....sometimes I didnt even careif I died..isnt that pathetic..we can not expect life to make us happy..we need to get out there and make us happy....find things you enjoy! Go out and help someone else...which in turn will be so fullfilling! If you ever need to talk...IM me.....I would like that...good luck and go to chat soon!

Comment

need advice!

Bunky, I have to make this quick. Off to the gym in a sec. but I just had to respond. God, I totally get what you said about the life being a routine. Everything you said applies to me also. Just today I was just thinking all that and then I came in here and read your post. So good to know I'm not alone in how I feel. Even though I do love my life I thought the same thing about death. Would I even miss anything if I died? I'm not suicidal so it was weird having that thought today. I'm like on day 10 with one mod. day so maybe my body is still adjusting. Who knows....but I am off to the gym to get a good workout and forget about those negative thoughts! Take care of youself and good luck to you and everyone!

Comment

need advice!

Hi dexterhead (love the name!)

I think with those two drugs that you would want to talk to yoru doc about putting Topamax on top of it. If you have successfully quit in the past, then you may want to start off with the suggested supplements from this website. They really help you to getr yoru body back into balance, help with any cravings that may come up, and get you into a good routine of taking natural supplements. You may be suprised how good you start to feel. I was on Clonazepam (which by the way is Klonipin and can be very addictive), and once on supplements have found I am fine with an all natural subsitute, Calmes Forte once and a while.

Other than that, sounds like it is time to shake things up a bit. Try doing some things for yoruself in the evenings, taking classes, something different. There is a whole big wonderful world out there. It is amazing how many fantastic things there are to do when we are not home drinking wine (speaking for myself!).

Good luck!

Namaste,

MM
        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

need advice!

hey dexterhead-
          :welcome:

So glad you found this site! I can relate to much of what you said, I'm sure others will too. There are many of us here working on the alcohol "issue" without the meds. LOTS, in fact. In my personal opinion, if you are motivated and take full advantage of all the other tools the MWO program offers, you can definitely reach your goals and dreams.

You can do it!!!

wonder xx

Comment

need advice!

Welcome DexterHead -

I am one doing this without Topamx, but am only on Day 6. Stay here - Dig in - find your way. You found this because it is right for you NOW.

Welcome

Wonder - You changed & that's some body:award:.....phew & I thought I was past that sort of thing - LOL

Go2Goal
            "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

need advice!

Welcome Dexterhead!
              I can relate – I’m in my early 40’s and went through a long-term relationship loss this year (never married but were together for 12 years). I was depressed most of this year and drank to cope (actually the heavy drinking started a few years ago but got worse this year). I also do not have children. I am self-employed and work out of my house. Not only was I drinking because I was depressed but because of BOREDOM!

I am finding there are lots of things to do besides drink – and it is totally great! I go to the gym, the library and my house is exceptionally clean right now! J

I decided not to take meds, just supplements and the cds and the program is working for me. You will find a lot of people on this site that do not take meds.

Once again welcome – you found a great site with the tools that will help you! (and wonderful people too!!)

Comment

need advice!

Hi Dexterhead and welcome

I am not taking the topamax and have had loads of AF time since joining the site. There are quite a few people completely AF on the site who have not taken it e.g. Satori 118 Days to mention but one. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Rustop

Comment

need advice!

Hi Dexterhead and welcome! So glad you found this site, it is a blessing/godsend to me and many of us here. I had been drinking on and off over the past 5 years, but moreso over the past year as I was very depressed and anxious (impossible marriage, very challenging job, kids, chores, etc.). I have been af over 40 days without medication aside from a multivitamin, Biotin and a baby aspirin daily. I am not sure how much you drink, but if it is really a lot, maybe you should taper off. The amazing people here are always available to help and inspire you, so visit, write, read and chat often. Good luck and welcome again, j
                  Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

need advice!

Hey Dex and welcome to MWO. I am glad that you found this. There are some amazing people here and there is always someone who has excellent advise. As for the Topamax; I did try it but ended up getting severe, unbearabele headaches which I never had before. So I stopped taking it and the headaches went away. However, everyone is different. RJ gives lots of advise in the pertinent treads.
                    Welcome Lori
                    *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

need advice!

Welcome Dex

Welcome Dex. Your story sounds similiar to mine. Tired of boring day to day life. I have not been doing to well this week but hoping for an AF weekend. Keep in touch

Comment

need advice!

topa essential?

Hi Dexter

IS topa essential? If you read through the threads, I think you will find a lot of people are succesful without having to take topa and using supplements, hypo, cds, lifestyle changes and support from this website. However, from what I have read, this seems to apply for abstinence not moderation. I read about lots of people abstaining successfully after some failed attempts. But the stories of people who learn to moderate without medication are much harder to find, which is disappointing for me as someone who wants to moderate.

Comment

need advice!

To new to give advice

Hi Ya Dexterhead. No real advice to give yet but Yep, can relate to you big time. Once managed sobriety for 5 years and due to a relationship bust up began to drink again and 4 years later here I am hating myself almost daily. Like you the booze fills up the empty nights and has become the most horrendous ?friend?. And yep, if I had a dollar for every lie I?ve told to hide my drinking, I would be a rich woman. Am new to this site but being able to speak about my secret has already helped me and I hope it helps you too. Haven?t tried meds yet and cannot get any Aussies to answer if Australian customs would let them through we have different laws to you guys. So day 3 and scared but really want to stop this self-destructive sh*t. Goal now is to post Yay 2 years sober. Reading those long term sobriety posts makes my heart sing. Thank you guys.
                          Best wishes and kind regards to you, stay at this site I feel sure it can, ?help us to help us?. As we are all here for the same reason. This site is finally helping me to get honest and that has got to be a good thing.
                          :welcome:

Comment

need advice!

Welcome to here. Yes, many many are kicking out the booze without meds. The supplements seem to be quite a help to everyone, and the hypno CDs do help many as well. If you follow the programme and eat well, you will find it is much easier to quit and to stay sober. Take a look at the Holistic Healing forum on here for lots of good advice.

Also, look at the meds forum on here for advice about other meds than Topomax (for ex. Campral, Naltrexone, etc) that seem to work well for some and not for others.

By the way, Clonazepam is a benzo-type drug, which are highly addictive (who told you otherwise? This is well know). If you plan on cutting out this drug after months on it, you need to taper down. You must consult your doctor before stopping as it can be dangerous to stop it suddenly (same goes for Zoloft). I would suggest you try to come off alcohol first, and deal with the Clonazepam later... it may even help you with withdrawal.

Good luck to you and keep coming back here.
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                            X