Newbies in Need ODAT - Sun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone: Today I start day 51. I couldn't feel more grateful to MWO for helping to make this possible. For all newbies reading this: I had very little success on my own. I tried very hard to mod &/or stop, but I think I needed this community to air my thoughts & feelings & get the support of others doing battle w/the same demon. Before I came here, I read book after book about alcoholism. I set dates for myself to stop, only to go back to drinking a few days later. Once I came here in April, I faltered at first. However, during the summer, I had a long AF run. I did slip, but my drinking wasn't the same. I really committed myself to stopping. Now, I'm incredibly diligent about my sobriety. I don't want anything to jeopardize it. If you're struggling: keep coming here & trying. Don't stay away, even if you slip. You don't have to spend hours at MWO. A simple check-in a couple of times a day is fine. Good luck, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

WOW! 51 days. Awesome. I've faltered a few times since i started reading all of these posts. Realized that my depression and anxiety upon waking was directly caused by my drinking the night before (and during the night if I found a half finished drink on my bedside table). Then when I got home from work would immediately reach for the bottle of vodka in the freezer, so I could forget that I was depressed and anxious. Vicious cycle.

Now when I wake up, whether during the morning or in the middle of the night, I reach for my laptop to read/post. For the first time in a long time I feel hope and the promise of peace, self esteem and happiness. :thanks:

Comment

Thanks for the pep talk Mary and Happy day 51!
      Tuning into MWO has given me the courage and support to keep going.
      Faltering is not failing ...but there comes a time when you need to JUST DO IT (I am telling myself this). Choosing to be AF does not mean you have to spend the rest of your life in an emotional void that alcohol used to fill. There is plenty of info on or linked to this website that will help support a positive mental and physical environment for recovery. Grab on to those tools and build your new life... and, as a bonus, you get to share all your accomplishments as well as your angst with the great folks here at your fingertips.
      Have a wonderful AF day everyone,
      Fby
      xox
      Fby

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
      - Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Good morning Mary, Sukii and Flutterby:

Fby you are right on....MWO does give you the tools you need to learn and rebuild. By reading the posts, you learn.... taking what you need.... from the ups and the downs of all our members......the ups are what we strive for, the downs are potential obstacles that can get in the way, and we need to be aware, knowing they will always be lurking in the background.
        I too, was hesitant to take the AF plunge, spent months reading, chatting, but still drinking.
        Today is day 22 for me, and I make it a point to check in at least twice a day...I have made the ODAT committment, but never want to forget that the "beast" is just waiting for me to get to a comfortable place in my sobriety and ready to attack.
        MWO helps keep me grounded. Whether it be AF, or Mods, there is always someone hear to talk to. Have a great Sunday
        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Everyone: I'm working on the mindset that I'm not "giving up" anything in going AF. I'm gaining so much more: self-esteem, health, peace-of-mind. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi all..
            I Have to say a big :wd: to everyone doing AF. However long or short the term.
            We all know how hard it is. :goodjob:

Mr Boop xx
            TIGGER1 :l

Formerly Mr Boop

Comment

Working...
            X