Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot tell friends

Hi I am new here today!

I feel a bit stupid as I hide my problem from friends and family and if I am honest usually from myself. It seems really odd then to try and talk to strangers.

I have spent a few hours reading the threads and think there may be some hope for me. I feel quite ill but do not want to go to the doctors? I am just hoping one person has felt the same and got over it, then I will have something to strive for. I have decided to do some Christmas shopping and come home late thus avoiding temptation, if I can stay AF for a week or so maybe I will feel better physically.

Cannot tell friends

been there

Hang in there. If at all possible try to stay in bed for a day to get over the feeling. I've beem there many many times.

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Welcome Wasboss!

Christmas shopping, it's sneaking up on us, isn't it?

Finding something else to do is a great idea, what other plans do you have?

How exactly are you feeling? You don't say when you had your last drink and why you don't want to go to the doctor.

You are certainly NOT stupid, you've recognized a problem and want to do something about it!

Keep reading and posting and tell us more about yourself.

Again, welcome, we're glad you're here.

magic xx
      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
      I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Hi Wasboss,

Welcome!!

I hide my problem from my family and friends too. I don't think it is odd that you are here sharing with us (strangers) as we all are here for the same reason. We all (in some way) know about the shame that stops us from revealing all about our drinking to our loved ones. Yes, we are strangers in the - we haven't met each other sense, but we know one and other really well as we have all lived through years of dealing with the same problem.

If you are feeling ill and don't want to go to the doctors, then you have to try some damage limitation. Drink a glass of water between drinks. Put down the drink if you can.
        When you say 'ill' is it the drinking/aftereffects that you are talking about??

It is great you found the site. It is a wonderful place full of wonderful people, ideas, knowledge and support.

xx
        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Cannot tell friends

water

Also, drink lots of water to stay hydrated. power bars and bananas help also. WATER is very, very important!!!

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Hi, I have been coming here a little while, did come a year back, but it just didn't happen for me then. However, having felt increasingly lower in not only health but everything else, I decided to try again - AND fingers crossed it seems to be working. The people on here are really supportive, really knowledgeable and really nice. I come and read when feeling like I don't want to persevere, but I can honestly say (and it is only 19 days AF for me) every day gets better. The first step is the hardest. But if you can just do that first step, then from there on in it gets way easier. You have, in my opinion, taken that first little step by coming here. Just keep coming, keep posting, keep reading and before you know it, another day will have past and you will feel so much better in yourself and about yourself. As to stopping drinking, I felt pretty ghastly the first 4 days, but things do pick up and you will feel so much better in a very short time. The freedom is the best bit, free to do whatever you want. Please keep on coming, and please feel encouraged when reading a success story, it really does help. Welcome Wasboss.
            :lI'd really rather be skiing:H

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Wasboss

:welcome:

I went through the not wanting to tell my doctor. I ended up struggling for months because of it.

If it is because of insurance, you can always go to a new doc and tell them you have no insurance and pay cash, it hurts the pocket but not the insurance.

If it is because you are embarrassed, you need to get over it.

However, a little more info about how much you drink, when was your last drink, etc?

I learned in rehab that the most dangerous withdrawal is alcohol depending on how physically dependent you are on it. There is a link on this website pointing you to what signs to look for with withdrawal.

Again, welcome, we are glad you are here and do not hesitate to ask for help or support whenever you need it.

Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Hi Wasboss: I kept my drinking problem hidden from friends & family, but I know at times that my behavior was so unacceptable that they surely noticed. I came here in April '07 & was honest here for the first time in my life. I knew I was an alcholic & admitted it to myself & MWO.

I struggled w/drinking when I first came here. Toward the end of the summer, I had an over 60 day AF stretch which I broke a few times in Sept. & Oct. On Oct. 5th, I had my last drink. My life's changes have been purely positive:
                -more assertive.
                -more physically fit.
                -more confident.
                -etc.
                I know my loved ones probably see a change in me but might not know exactly brought it about. I come to MWO every day & share & read. If you really want to stop, MWO can help. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Wow, in one and half hours you have so much support!
                  I love this place.

Glad you are here.
                  Dx
                  * * I love Determinator * *

Comment

Cannot tell friends

WELCOME

I KEPT THE AMOUNT THAT I DRANK FROM FAMILY , AS READ IN A PREVIOUS THREAD I KNOW BY MY BEHAVIOR THEY KNEW. BUT NOTHING MUCH WAS SAID. I FOUND THIS SIGHT ON MONDAY AFTER A VERY LONG BING DRINKING WEEKEND. I AM IN MY 4TH DAY. I WAS WEAK, TREMBLY, DRY HEAVING, ANXIOUS, DEPRESSED, NO ENERGY ON MON. EACH DAY HAS GOTTEN A LITTLE BETTER IN SOME WAY. ONE OF THE BIGGEST BOOST TO ME IS THIS WEBSITE. KNOWING THERE ARE OTHERS IN THE SAME SITUATION. HANG IN THERE WITH US.

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Welcome Elainey. x
                      Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Hi wasboss :welcome:

Not been here long myself.... the missis, however, has been here for a while, I'm sure you'll get to meet her, her names Betty.
                        You've come to the right place, if you feel you can't tell your friends, tell us. We are all real people with same problem, although maybe at different levels.
                        Keep posting, lovely to have you here.....

What's this about christmas shopping, you don't start that 'til 24th December...... :H
                        TIGGER1 :l

Formerly Mr Boop

Comment

Cannot tell friends

elainey, looks like you're doing some "hanging in there" yourself.....
                          :wd:
                          TIGGER1 :l

Formerly Mr Boop

Comment

Cannot tell friends

I don't know about you but unless you were behind closed doors I'm sure all those around you know you drink. How could they not? How many times do you swear you're OK and then the next morning realized you were smashed? My family doesn't say anything and my friends drink like I do so do you think they'd even say anything? They want the company!
                            Welcome.........I've only been here for a little over a week. This is the place to be and get the help you need

Comment

Cannot tell friends

Thanks everybody you have made me feel a little better already. I thnk can answer the questons?

My job means that I work 72 hours straght with no booze!! so I can do AF on work days. I get drug and alcohol tested so am very careful.

I then spend the next four days making up for lost time which usually means around 3 bottles of wine per evening, whisky, beer whatevers available I just drink till I drop.

If I dont have the first drink I am OK but lacking any sort of will poer I always have the 1st drink!

I am a pretty fit guy but have grown a beer belly which has now become painful, feel bloated all of the time. I generally just feel hung over but feel worse when I am not drinking.

I retire in 4 months aged 53 and I figure if I dont have to go to work I am going to kill myself pretty damned quick.

I like you people already and will start to talk to you as soon as I figure out how, thanks for the good vibes. Went AF yesterday which was Xmas shopping day with my wife, she thinks I have gone mad and could not understand why I went with her or why I did not stay at home and get squiffy.

Talk to you soon. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X