Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

knee-trembler: usually refers to a brief encounter in the upright position

And here's on from my neck of the woods: "Mate, I'm wasted, lets get a scousers laptop." which is an expression for a take-away Pizza eaten out of the box while sitting down.
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

Trix;231503 wrote: if someone is on tv all the time/overexposed, etc, we say "he get's where gas can't"!

this is a really obscure saying. Proper northern! I'm a northern lass!
      You're not a "Southern Jessy" then trix!! (another slang term in the UK for people who live roughly south of Birmingham)

R U a Yorkshire Lass then or a Lancashire Lass trix?

Hippie
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

LOL Hippie,

Bet you can come up with a few more being a Scouser

(Scouser = A person hailing from the area of Liverpool in the UK)

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

Hippie

I'm a loud and proud lancashire lass - falling through me pinny pockets, ready to eat a scabby dog and loving MWO. Never laughed so much for ages!

Actually met someone tonight in chat whose parents come from my home town - freaky! I'm being stalked.... LOL

By the way - your Vicky Pollard thread died on it's arse (oh that's another slang! Died on it's arse means noone understood the joke!) LOL. Only joking mate. Luv your humour. Been lurking for ages, you are a breath of fresh air.

Trix

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

Where is the Vikkkkiii Pollard thread? I missed it!

I love Vicky :H

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

Marbella

It's in Laughing Out Loud, Child Benefit

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

"Makes sense - guess it's a lot colder up there ...."

Tawny - that's classic!!! (Wonderful!!) This is such fun..... (bad luck Satori - as Tawy says, it's coz of the cold!! And the length of those kilts.... :H

Mr Boop - great link...but by the time we get our overseas friends onto Cockney Rhyming Slang......well!??!!?! A whole new ball-game!
                :heart: c: :heart:
                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

All over the gaff : describe someone that has no direction or that is in a mess. ( sh*t that sound like me)

Love
                  Teardrop.x
                  family is everything to me

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

I love slang and there is no doubt the UK, Ireland, and Australia have way better than the U.S.
                    as is apropo, here are a few U.S. words for being "pissed up"
                    -shit-faced
                    blasted
                    tanked
                    loaded
                    plowed
                    snockered
                    tight (this was from my mom's day)
                    f--ed up may be the most prevalent
                    One I remember from the early 80s: people would say "I'm really gonna 'give 'er' tonight!" This may have been regional .. drunken Wisconsin people. When I was growing up, drunk driving was considered about as serious as, well, maybe a speeding ticket.
                    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

Dexter - This is interesting because in Oz "pissed up" means 'wasted' as in "His paycheck , well he just pissed it up against the wall".

We have heaps for "drunk" including

fly-blown
                      maggoted
                      legless
                      tired-and-emotional

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

:wow:

Never thought the thread would take off to this extent = be popular

I thought it might bomb with no replies = not have any responses / not do well
                        Or go down like a lead balloon = not be popular or wanted
                        Well I am not off my face at the moment = drunk
                        But I am still having a blast = good time

See you later alligator = soon

Your response should be In a while crocodile = yes soon

c: Keep them rolling = keep them coming

So we can all have a good :H :H

Sweetpea xx
                        :flower: Keep strong and focused things do get better and you will find your happy :h

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

"She got some junk in her trunk"---has a big fat rear end. This one supplied by my housekeeper, whose trunk is rather rich in junk itself. Other euphemisms for generous bottoms: "Pullin' a trailer;" "Totin' a load."
                          Jane Jane

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

I work part time for the local school district delivering food to 6 elementary schools. The food is cooked in a central kitchen and is then loaded onto a truck for me to deliver. The staff at the kitchen consists of 11 women and me. Everyday when my truck is loaded and I'm about to go on my delivery, I'll say as I'm headed out the door, " Well, I'm off like a prom dress..."

The women just love it and laugh everyday...

Don

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

LOL, I didn't get the slang part of that Don, but had a little chuckle at the thought of it anyway :H

Comment

SLANG THE WORLD OVER

Don, you devil boy!!! I like that! I can see them all laughing 'with' you! Brilliant!

My 'slang' to day has been of the sort that hasme feeling I need a trip to the F, F, F-ity F thread!!!!!!!................

Here's to tomorrow!
                                :heart: c: :heart:
                                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                                X