Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just like me!

Hi everyone,

I ran across MWO a few days ago while researching various nutri supps and alternative programs. This one is the ONLY one I found that's totally in line with my beliefs! So today I finally decided to sign up. :l

Many parts of my story are eerily similar to RJ. I won't go into all the details, but what caught my attention most about MWO is the strong nutritional component along with the acceptance for individual choice about abstenance vs moderation. It's been about 3-4 weeks since I started my quest. Here's a brief recap:

1) Started drinking socially about 5 years ago (in my 30's)
    2) After several major life tramas this year, suddenly jumped to 1-2 bottles of wine each night (sneaky stuff! gets you when your down )
    3) Tried to cut back with counseling and AA, but couldn't handle the emotional roller coaster and cravings
    4) Found NAC, an electrolyte combo, aminos, and a hi-B complex to combat the morning after symptoms (about 3 weeks ago)
    5) Found 5-htp, omega 3, and melatonin supps to stablize sleep and mood swings (about 2 weeks ago)
    6) Found Bee Pollen, Suma, Royal Jelly, and Ginseng to restore energy (about 1 week ago)
    7) Found Kudzu and up'd my glutamine intake 3 days ago
    8) Found Xylitol sugar substitute yesterday (doesn't metabolize as glucose - no hypoglycemic spikes, starves candida, fights bacteria, rebuilds tooth enamel, low on GI index, etc)

Over the past 3 weeks I've noticed steady physical and psychological improvements. Alcohol consumption patterns and physical reactions to it are starting to change too. Craving for more after 2-3 glasses doesn't seem to exsist any more. Had first AF day (not planned, just didn't feel like it) 2 days ago.

Now, after having to be secretive about my approach (my daughter is a die-hard AA'er) I've also found a support forum that is in line with my beliefs Finally!
    -Patty-

Just like me!

Wow PJ! Welcome and congrats on your progress. You sure sound as if you have really invested time into researching this and is it paying off!
    Great to have you here. This place is great.
    The support is fantastic (and you can get it at any time of the day which is very useful) and the wealth of information on the site is fabulous.

:welcome:
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Just like me!

Thanks Amelia! It's great to be here.

I've always been a big proponent of combination approaches - Mind, Body, Spirit. But it seems like all of the established beaurocracies have become stagnated in their limited one-size-fits-all views. Uggh! As a result, there seems to be a consistent condemning response to alternatives (even though traditional treatments have statistically less than 20% success rates)! Makes me think political motives and financial incentives have blindly taken precedence over the original goal of healing...

One other thing I found a week or so ago that I forgot to mention is "tapping". It was originally called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique). I've started using it as another tool in the arsenal . Perhaps I should post some of the stuff I'm finding over in Research of General Discussions?
      -Patty-

Comment

Just like me!

Hi PJ and welcome!! It sounds like you are already well on your way to a great program tailor made by you, for you! That's wonderful. I think ou will love having the support here at MWO as part of your program.

I am very interested in information about the research you have done. I hope you will post more in the research section!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Just like me!

Thanks DG! I'll definitely do that
          -Patty-

Comment

Just like me!

Welcome,
            I pretty new here but joined for most of the reasons you mention. I tried AA and even though I was successful for a period of time, there was something lacking that I've found here.
            I going to look into some of those supplements you mention.
            Welcome!

Comment

Just like me!

Hi PJ! I really like your philosophy and attitude towards your sobriety. Glad you are here on the forum.

Love and Happiness
              Hippie
              xx
              "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
              Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Just like me!

You're very :welcome: here, PJ.......jump right in!

Suze x
                Just hand me the chocolate and.........I'll consider my position. My solicitor has advised me to say no more than that.

Comment

Just like me!

Yes, I went to an EFT therapist a couple of years ago. I must admit, it worked for me at the time, but have not used it in a while.
                  But I do know it works.
                  Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Just like me!

Thanks all. It's good to finally be somewhere where I can share and learn about lots of different options - and it's totally acceptable to have an individually tailored plan. Too perfect!
                    -Patty-

Comment

Working...
                    X