Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly Question

Hi everyone!

I have a question. My boyfriend and I like to smoke marijuana occasionally and I wondered if that woud be a detrement to my AF-ness. I haven't and won't depending on what you guys advise me.

I know its a dumb question, but I always thought wacky-tabaccy was better then beers.

E

Silly Question

Hey CKE,

It has been a LOOOOONG time since I smoked the wacky backy.
    However I do remember one thing that it did do to me. I made me very laid back. Which meant I didn't deal with stuff when I needed to.
    A drug is a drug is a drug. What are you going to do let your liver and lungs argue it out??
    We both know neither is good for you.
    But if you are AF and still smoking then I guess it's one thing outa the way,....the booze.
    I am still drinking (don't get me wrong) I am not preaching, but I reckon you know too that they are probably just as bad as each other.
    x
    Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Silly Question

um...... what name did you give this thread?

Comment

Silly Question

When I first tried quitting since coming to MWO I wanted to have some weed to help me escape those terribly long moments of time without booze. But now I'm glad I didn't find any.

Most of us admit that our drinking comes from a need to avoid reality, and to truly heal from the addiciton we have to start facing reality. Just moving on to another drug, or veil, is not going to truly heal the emotional and mental aspects of your drink addiction, even if you do succeed in not drinking. (IMHO)

And I was married to a die-hard pot head, and know what continual use can do to a person. Summed up - zero growth.
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Silly Question

Yep, Imatree, I saw my brother do it. He actually moved from New Zealand to Adelaide (marijuani laws are so much more relaxed - you can grow up to 20 plants or something for personal use) because the drug laws were more lax.
          Like I said above, dope never really did anything for me (literally).
          Apart from helped me to eat more, become more paranoid and not give a shit.
          It is a passport to nowhere.
          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Silly Question

Well said MOW. I'm often looking for loopholes in the sobriety thing, and pot has been one of them. And yeah - nothing changed, nothing got better, nothing happened.

Comment

Silly Question

Hi CKE,

I never got into marijuana myself, but the nice thing about MWO is that you get to choose your own goals. I agree with Amelia on how it affects people, but since you described occational that sounds like moderation to me. I haven't read anywhere that one propetuates the other on a phyiological level; rather it impacts inhibitions, which could be a trigger for some folks. You're the only one who'd be able to answer whether it affects you that way or not. In the grand scheme of things, I think tackling the alcohol monster is the healthier priority.

A note on something I read somewhere about long term heavy mj use said that it mucks with your hormones and brain chemestry somehow and can cause unwanted male/female changes (deeper voice and abnormal hair growth in women; breast enlargement in men), not to mention memory issues and munchies But if moderation is your plan and alcohol is your priority, then I say do what works for you right now and worry about the rest when/if it becomes a problem for you.
              -Patty-

Comment

Silly Question

It's not the drug, it's how and why you use the drug. If you really mean "occasionally" and you can successfully moderate with weed, then I don't see the harm. But if you're using it to escape sobriety, or to cover up the same problems that alcohol has been covering up, or because you feel like you can't enjoy life without getting high, then it's a problem. You have to honestly answer that question for yourself: why do I want to smoke up? I would certainly recommend not using weed until you've got your drinking problem under control; just like the standard recommendation to go 30 days or more before deciding whether to mod or not. Otherwise I think you're too likely to just transfer bad behaviors to a new outlet.

peace,
                lilnev
                Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
                A: Practice, of course.

Comment

Silly Question

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the advice. I did not partake, and probably won't. Its just another cover up. I would be f-ed up one way or the other.
                  I feel kinda stupid for asking now. HAHA

E

Comment

Silly Question

Good for you. I'm glad you're able to be honest with yourself, and to follow through on what's actually best.

peace,
                    lilnev
                    Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
                    A: Practice, of course.

Comment

Silly Question

Don't feel stupid. Feel smart for asking for advice and hearing it. It's always helpful to have our own musings echoed.
                      Be well.
                      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Working...
                      X