I've tried before and failed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure that I really want to change my behavior but my husband says that he can't live this way anymore. I would really like to be able to moderate things but I will get to a point when I say I just don't care anymore. Today is day 2 and even if I make it all the way to Christmas we are flying out to Las Vegas for a few days and how do you fight things there? I have never been before and would like to enjoy all that Vegas offers but I am struggling with the idea that everywhere you go people are partying it up and I know that I will want to do the same.

Anyone with some good suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated!:new:

Hi booboo and Welcome!!

You say you are hoping to moderate. We are all here to help you to do that. Have you ordered any of the supps or downloaded the book? That can help tremendously!

How much do you normally drink, what is your "witching hour", your triggers? Learning those can help you to modify behaviour which in turn can help to moderate if that is your goal.

My concern is that you say that you don't want to change - for any program to work, you have to want to do this for you. Do you feel you have a problem with alcohol? That is really the question you need to ask yourself - if you are happy with yourself, no one should tell you that you need to change! I think to be happy with yourself, you need to look deep within and answer the above question to yourself honestly. It is all up to you - only you have the power.
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

Comment

Welcome booboo. I'm glad you're here.

The change you're asking about comes from with in yourself and is difficult.

You need to really want it, badly. You need to want to change behaviors for yourself not someone else, certainly not for your husband. That just won't work.

I suggest you read some more and see how changing our patterns have affected the lives of some of the members of MWO and give it some more thought.

As for Vegas...I think moderation would be the key there if you can do it!

Welcome again!

magic xx
      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
      I am in the next seat.
      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Booboo, hi and welcome... I agree with magic, if you want change, only you can do it..... It's not easy, far from it. Talk to hubby, tell him how you feel, he may want to support you. (fingers crossed)

As for Vegas... Plan your trip, make sure your busy, busy, busy... You'll take in lots more of your vacation. Differant location, will break your drinking habit,,,, if you really want to change!!!

Selfish I know, but keep posting, I'd love to know about Vegas, becuase I am planning a vacation early 2009... Good luck, keep posting and keep smiling.
        TIGGER1 :l

Formerly Mr Boop

Comment

Booboo, oh, how I can relate. I am not sure I want to change either. Hubby wants me t00!
          I am realizing after reading here, that yes, I do have a problem and struggling to make a change. Starting on supps and trying to cut back, but the time of yr and family illnesses is making it difficult.
          Need to try ODAT. Keep reading, as I keep doing to get stimulated to follow through.
          I'm new here too

Comment

Hi, Booboo and Winefree,

Whether you're 100% sure or still sitting the fence about going mods or AF...you couldn't have come to a better place to take those first steps.

But I have to agree with others who've said the most imortant step to take is making sure you're taking this step for YOU, not for somone else in your life, be it your husband, or anyone else.

A loved one may be a powerful motivator. But when all is said and done, it's YOUR life. And changing a behavior like the powerful grip that alcohol can have can be tough. So you have to really want to do it, and that has to come from deep within you, FOR you.

That said, the fact you're here is telling, and my guess is you wouldn't be here if you didn't want to be. So welcome!

-HopefulNow
            Taking it all in

Comment

I can only agree with everyone here. Well said hopefull now.
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I realized recently that I don't really want to change totally...just change enough not to seem "problematic." Now, there's the rub---can we really trust ourselves to control things? Probably not, but then total abstinence seems like solid punishment to me. I think I may be feeling this way because the holidays are upon us, and in my world, that means lots of festive occasions. It's...just too hard, and so not fun, to say "no" and stick with boring soda water and lime. Unfortunately, I hate carbonated drinks of any kind (except champagne.) Well, there's always the New Year, then Lent, to help us be stern with ourselves...
                Jane Jane

Comment

welcome!!

Been to Vegas sooooooooooo many times, met a moderator (from MWO) there once, it is possible to moderate there if you are motivated enough, it is also VERY EASY to go overboard................did you read the book, maybe take that to read on the plane?? Then also Kudzu and any other supps, maybe even talk to a doc about meds?? I know you may not think you have a problem, but if hubby is worried, could be for good reason..........

I am sometimes happy w/ me when drinking.................esp when moderating, so try that in Vegas if you can!

BTW Vegas is REALLY REALLY another world!!! You will have a ball!!!

Keep us posted on how you are doing, lease:

love and hugs,

MA:h
                  :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                  X